OT: Low Profile Electrical Outlet

~~~~~|_____| >~~~

Wire...Box... 120v-Plug

I could have sworn I saw something like that once, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Hi Bob,

Are you thinking of a special extension cord type box??

You say, 120V-Plug??

Do you really mean Socket??

Terminology adjustment??

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

On 1/15/2022 12:41 PM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 1/15/2022 1:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> ~~~~~|_____| >~~~ >>

Not powered with extension cord.

First item is wire as described.

Second item is box presumably with outlet.

Third item is plug to show orientation to plug in as ascii pictured and labeled.

Don't over think it.

Maybe this one is better: ~~~~~|_____| =---- Wire...box.. plug

I will not provide a boat load of background information for the application as its not relevant to finding a solution, and usually winds up as a huge distraction due to people picking at details instead of helping with the solution.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sorry I over thinking this but,

You looking for a length of 14/2 w/g Romex wire with a single gang box and a duplex receptacle so you can plug in a cord with a device on the end to provide an operation of your choosing??

Like this??

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

On 1/15/2022 1:21 PM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 1/15/2022 2:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> On 1/15/2022 12:41 PM, ABLE1 wrote: >> > On 1/15/2022 1:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> >> ~~~~~|_____| >~~~ >> >>

WAY to big for the application. I have something that looks almost exactly like that on the end of a cord reel extension cord in my garage. The original "receptacle" wouldn't hold a plug any more.

There are some old style Bakelite low profile outlets that "might" work, but I am not a big fan of Bakelite.

Imagine a box 1/4-1/3 the depth of that one with the outlet on the small side. "Low Profile Electrical Outlet"

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've seen some might small metal boxes, but their made for surface wire routing, you would have a problem mounting a strain relief.. RTS

Reply to
RTS

Needless to say it will have to assembled since I don't think it will be easy to find off the shelf

Ok, so how about a single gang wiremold box??

Like this maybe??

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

I've used these, but not really UL list for the use.. ;-)

formatting link
RTS

Reply to
RTS

On 1/15/2022 2:41 PM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 1/15/2022 4:10 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> On 1/15/2022 1:21 PM, ABLE1 wrote: >> > On 1/15/2022 2:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> >> On 1/15/2022 12:41 PM, ABLE1 wrote: >> >> > On 1/15/2022 1:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> >> >> ~~~~~|_____| >~~~ >> >> >>

Getting closer on size, but the outlet and plug will still be in the wrong orientation.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I know if any of the following is NOT what you are thinking, but it will help here to understand what is in your brain!! :-)

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Choose one or two if they are close!!!
Reply to
ABLE1

Reply to
ABLE1

Hey Bob,

Did you ever find what you were searching for?? Or did you come up with a different plan??

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I decided to go with a single snap in outlet and machine a purpose built box with one of the CNC mills. Probably make it out of acetal, but aluminum is an option. Just have to add a ground lug if I go with aluminum. I ordered a few of those snap in outlets because I think they will be handy on machine cabinets for auxiliary equipment. (lights/solenoids etc)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

Where there is a will there is a way!!! Congrats!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Damn ! I read your post earlier today while I was on an installation but didn't have the time to respond. This may be to "klugie" for you but I was going to suggest that you purchase a standard shallow metal electrical box and with all of the machining equipment you have, mill out one side of the box to accommodate the outlet and the other side of the box for a wire clamp and just put a blank cover on the face. You didn't say whether you could use a two prong or three prong plug. Or how heavy a cord you have to use. But in either case you could buy a single two prong rectangular socket and a two prong plug which would obviously be rectangular rather than round and thus smaller. Mount the two prong socket vertically on the side of the metal box and use a cord with a two prong plug with an offset right or left hand cord. If you require the (third pin) ground, just run a separate wire from the device and attach it directly to the metal box and device with lug and a screw.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Reply to
Jim Davis

Oh yeah? I'd like you to explain to my wife how that works

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.