Networx data format

Hello,

I am planning to design and build my own controller for a home alarm system that will be programmable through a built in web server.

I want to use NX wireless sensors, and was looking at the GE NX-548E receiver which would provide me with 48 wireless zones. Apparently the NX-

548E has a three wire (ground, +12, data) Networx compatible interface.

I am very interested in the format of the serial data that is sent and received between the two devices.

Does anyone have the data format of this serial interface or know where I can obtain it?

I want to be able to program and control the NX-485E with my controller.

Thanks,

Jack

PS: Please remove the xyz from the email address if you want to email me.

Reply to
jg
Loading thread data ...

Well sure thats a cake walk. Go here and get all your answers.

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE_1

Sorry friend, but that's not the sort of thing you're likely to find in this newsgroup. ASA is mostly a hangout for installers who may use wireless systems but have no reason to know their inner workings. GE is not likely to help you either since there's nothing for them to gain in it. If you have the ability to design the interface, the protocol should be a cinch to decypher though. If you need help with it, one of my partners has the skills but it won't be cheap.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

good luck, I doubt it's open source, so while you may be able to figure it out you also may be infringing on someone's proprietary turf.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Robert L Bass" wrote in news:9LtWj.127$0h.79@trnddc02:

Robert, Thanks for the info. Fortunately I do have the ability to decode the interface but I thought I would ask first to save some time.

Regards,

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I'm sure you're right that it's not open source. However, the protocol he's seeking likely isn't copyright protected. He wants to know what values are sent to denote things like "Sensor Open" or "Transmitter Tamper". GE has already shared this information with at least one competing manufacturer, ELK Products. ELK uses GE wireless receivers as well as their own brand.

The OP's idea is interesting, though for a one-up I doubt it will be worth the investment of time and money to develop it. There are simpler and more reliable ways to build a PC-centric system as the gentleman envisions. For example, both ELK Products and Napco make robust systems with real-time PC interfaces to allow end users to customize their home automation and security systems.

Sometimes DIYers will take on projects like this just because they enjoy the challenge. One of my clients bought a Napco Gemini P9600 and serial adapter from me some years ago. I got him a copy of the Napco protocol along with the interface. He developed a home automation software system which you may have heard of called HomeSeer. The original app only supported Napco but the current versions work with a wide assortment of security and home automation systems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sure thing. If you haven't completely set your sights on Caddx, you might want to consider ELK Products. I haven't asked about your specific question, but they're far more consumer and developer friendly than GE. If your project interests them you might get support from their engineers. I've worked with them for many years. They're among the best around.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Here's a couple of links you may find helpful maybe....

formatting link

nassausecurity.com/usermanuals/concord4ap.pdf

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.