Natural gas detectors and Co detectors

I use Ademco Vista 20p panels. I need to add 2 Co detectors and 2 Natural gas detectors. Ademco has a Co type for fault reporting, but I do not see a Natural gas faul code. What do you guys use?

Also can I put all 4 detectors on a zone expander? The manual says don't use zone doubling and Ademco Tech said don't use expansion module but he seemed a bit confused when I asked him why. Anybody know why? Thanks Paul.

Reply to
paul
Loading thread data ...

you can use the same zone type, it would only matter when reporting to the CS, where you could then differentiate the different alarm by defining the zone description properly.

(I think): probably because those zones cannot detect ground faults, which you would want to do on a life-safety device.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Fault as in alarm? If you are using Contact ID I'd say a 151 Gas Detection should work. Honeywell says it's a bad idea to program fire on a zone thats set for zone doubling and the same if on a zone expander. For those use the panel's built-in zones

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That is correct. It cannot detect ground faults on the expanders. I think it can only detect it on zone 1. Even that is questionable.

The Vista20P is not a fire panel.

Jim Rojas

Crash Gord> you can use the same zone type, it would only matter when reporting to the

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I had my Vista20P originally setup for zone doubling. I had my 2 wire smokes on zone 1. I was still able to use zone 9 as a wireless zone. But soon afterwards, I threw in a 4219 to keep things simple. I am no fan of zone doubling.

Jim Rojas

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

True but zone 1 isn't zone doubled, I was referring to having say zone 2 as a burg and zone 10 as a fire which is bad

I never cared for it either, too many wires in too few terminals

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I HATE zone doubling.

I just took over a 20P that was zone doubled and the orig installing co. obviously didn't understand it because all the doubled zone descriptions were flipped...so they'd have a problem on zone 2 and tell t he homeowner to check the door...when it really was the glassbreak in the bathroom. Sheesh..if you're gonna do that crap you oughta at least understand it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

been using zone doubling all the time, since caddx came out with it. never had a problem from zone doubling.

Reply to
Mick

I think Crash has the same opinion on this as I do, its not that it doesn't have problems but its a pain to troubleshoot

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yeah, zone doubling is one of those features you either love or you hate........ and it seems most hate it.....

I can hear the design engineers now as they return from a Friday noon liquid lunch........

Employee: " Hey boss, over lunch I just figured out how to double up a panel by making two zones out of one...(hic).." Boss: " Keep up that original thinking...you're really gonna go places my boy...!" Janitor overhearing conversation..."Cripes, I wonder if they asked their customers about that one...ain't never gonna sell me that crap...."

Sheesh ! Just buy a bigger panel for cryin' out loud.....

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Thats too logical in fact I'm going to invent the two-zone panel using "zone-quading" just to piss everyone off

It won't use big screw terminals, it'll be the tiny plastic type like DSC and Paradox

No labels on the terminals, you'll have to count over using the wiring diagram on the box.

The wiring diagram will use the greek language

A tiny enclosure designed to thwart anyone with big hands and fat fingers.

The knockout will be behind the circuit board.

The installation guide will look like the fold-out map from a DSC panel.

Now you'd think a panel like this would never sell but I'll also price it at $25, it'll go like hotcakes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You forgot to include the 128 zone LED only keypad, with wallet style billfold zone descriptions on the keypad door... :)

Jim Rojas

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

An optional alphanumeric keypad that displays fixed zone descriptions... Zone 1, zone 2, Zone 3, etc.

Actual english descriptions would require a panel firmware upgrade, and a 200pin simm chip installed in each keypad.

Displays time & date in JAG ZULU hours...

We can go on forever with this... LMAO

Jim Rojas

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

You got it: Zone Quading...sure let's use 4 different value resistors, NONE of which you can buy from ADI separately...all 1/8th watt so NO one can read the color code. Then write the install manual in Napcojaplish.

And lets go back to hex programming while we're at it.

I also HATE those dainty little DSC terminals...how freeking stupid.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

or one flashing led like the old napcos...just count the flashes. cheap too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You obviously don't have the "dainty little DSC screwdriver"... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

It will be capable of only 8 zones however the keypad will use nixie tubes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Zone doubling cannot be done with any normally open zone and that panel views an open on a fire zone as a trouble. I suppose you could create a configurable zone. I wouldn't.

I have done quite a few zone doubled systems and it is something you shouldn't do in a hurry. Proper documentation of what zone is what as well as resistor locations is vital.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

The tool you need is the Husky 8in1 screwdriver Home Depot carries. That handy tool will get out of so much trouble when it comes to tiny terminals, such as DSC, and GRI contacts, etc. I was so impressed with it, I keep a dozen in my desk drawer.

Jim Rojas

Frank Ols>

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I use a hammer and wire wedgies. Screw the screwdriver.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.