Alarm system comparisons?

I'm currently considering upgrading and/or replacing my Vista 20P installation. I'd like to be able to add a monitored (but not alarming) zone for my garage doors, so I can tell by glancing at the keypad whether I've remembered to close them. To do this, I absolutely need an expansion module, since I'm out of available zones, but I don't want to buy until I'm sure I want to stick with this system (which was installed by my home builder).

Features I'd like to get in a system:

• hardwired (obviously, has to utilize existing vista wiring)
  • 16 zones (have 8, need 1 or more additional, would like slop)
  • X10 control (have the alarm turn on/off lights for events, like when the garage opens)
  • computer interface (be able to log all events, sensors, armings, etc.) (also, arming and disarming through the computer is a plus)

I'm sure there are other features I haven't really thought of yet -- I'm just at a preliminary stage now...phone control, for example, might be nice..

Once I find this end-all-be-all system, would most monitoring companies be able to support it? Or would I likely find myself being told to replace my system with whatever they prefer?

I've seen discussion about the Napco Gemini, especially with regards to computer controls, but the protocol doc doesn't seem to be available anymore. If someone could email me that, I'd appreciate it, too.... It definitely seems like that's the way to go, but I'd really like to see a lot more detail, install manuals, protocol specs, etc., before I plunk down any money...

thanks!

david.

Reply to
David Schuetz
Loading thread data ...

Have a look at the Elk M1 Gold.

formatting link
It's an expensive "little sucker", but it's set up to do everything you want now as well as in the future.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Nothing wrong with the 20P, I have lots of them out there and find it to be a solid panel. Add a 4219 expander for some extra zones...maybe 6160 keypads instead of what the builder system has (usuallythe cheapest keypads).

Can't comment on all the fancy-doo stuff because it's been my experience that people don't really use it, even the few I've done fancy stuff with.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think the 20P will also do the X10 but you have to get the Transformer that supports it.

But... Before gaetting a bunch of X10 equipment you have to make sure that the outlet your panel is able to send signals to the devices you want to affect. Shouldn't be a problem and usually isn't but as soon as you take it for granted.....

See if you can borrow an X10 tester.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I'll suggest from experience, ....... even if the X10 tester works today, it may work tomorrow, next month or next year.

ALWAYS .... before you take on any X10 installs, get a phase coupler and a whole house filter installed. That'll at least get you to second base. It also determines the customers who really want this from those who just want a toy. From that point forward, depending upon the complexity of the system, you're likely going to have "glitches" occur due to interference from appliances, lighting dimmer switches, computers, or even your kid's toys. X10 is always a "work in progress". The user has to "know" this from the get go. And it's always better if they're the kind of person who wants to get involved with the systems.

Reply to
Jim

you don't have to tell me abt X-10 it's been a WIP since day-1, fun to mess around with but not when I'm being paid for a job thats supposed to work from the get go.

| > > Nothing wrong with the 20P, I have lots of them out there and find it to be | > > a solid panel. Add a 4219 expander for some extra zones...maybe 6160 keypads | > > instead of what the builder system has (usuallythe cheapest keypads). | > >

| > > Can't comment on all the fancy-doo stuff because it's been my experience | > > that people don't really use it, even the few I've done fancy stuff with. | > >

| >

| > I think the 20P will also do the X10 but you have to get the Transformer | > that supports it. | >

| > But... Before gaetting a bunch of X10 equipment you have to make sure | > that the outlet your panel is able to send signals to the devices you | > want to affect. Shouldn't be a problem and usually isn't but as soon as | > you take it for granted..... | >

| > See if you can borrow an X10 tester. | >

| >

| >

| I'll suggest from experience, ....... even if the X10 tester works | today, it may | work tomorrow, next month or next year. | | ALWAYS .... before you take on | any X10 installs, get a phase coupler and a whole house filter | installed. | That'll at least get you to second base. It also determines the | customers | who really want this from those who just want a toy. From that point | forward, depending upon the complexity of the system, you're likely | going to have | "glitches" occur due to interference from appliances, lighting dimmer | switches, computers, or even your kid's toys. X10 is always a "work in | progress". The | user has to "know" this from the get go. And it's always better if | they're the | kind of person who wants to get involved with the systems. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.