laptop serial port

formatting link
looks like one way to go to get a serial port on a new laptop. any others?

Reply to
Don
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

$40. The Cadillac of serial ports.

Cheaper models can be had for ~ $20 on fleabay (with shipping).

Shame on the major laptop manufacturers for not including serial ports anymore. Shame, Shame , Shame!!!!!

Reply to
G. Morgan

What's more f***ed up is something I ran across today, a brand new HP desktop with NO PS/2 keyboard and mouse inputs. This sucks because often I use KVM swithes and we only stock PS/2 mice and keyboards.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Belkin sells a converter for around $30.00 and works well

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Those are legacy ports and will not be on ANY laptop in the near future

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Have you tried it on download software, and if so, which ones? I've tried several USB-RS232 converters with Compass, without success.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Just watch out for what COM port number the driver installs itself on. You'd have to open the Windows Device Manager and look it up. In my case my USB-to-Com adapter (which I like very much and bought for $18 at Tigerdirect.com) always wanted to be COM5 I had to rearrange my ports and re-configure the modem to be COM3 so COM2 became available and that fixed the problem. Most terminal programs have at least a choice of COM1 or COM2 and, if COM2 is available, my USB converter installs on it.

There is one deficiency in these adapters - if you need to draw any power from it, you might as well just forget about it. On the other hand, most laptops do not allow drawing any power from their hardware COM1 either. So if you need to burn a PIC or a EEPROM either use programmer with external power or switch to a desktop PC.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

D~

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 20682 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

usb to serial port adapters...20 bucks or so.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Using USB TO SERIAL adapters with Compass downloader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ademco only indirectly supports these applications, and has had success with the following:

1. Belkin USB Serial Adapter
    formatting link
    This unit works with DIRECT CONNECT only, via 4100SM module, emulating COM 1 - COM 4 only, using Windows 98, 98SE, XP, and 2000.
  2. Keyspan: High Speed USB Serial Adapter for WINDOWS
    formatting link
    This unit has been tested, and is approved in WINDOWS XP and 2000 only, for direct connect, via the 4100SM, and the CIA modem, when emulating COM 1 - COM 4
  3. The Hawking HUC-232S. This product has been tested for all types of communication, modem and direct connect, with Windows XP Pro Service Pack
2, we do not know if it will work on any other Operating System. It must also emulate COM 1 - COM 4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Group-Moderator

Believe it or not you can still get a laptop with a serial port. Don't believe it? Look at the HP Compaq nc8430 Notebook PC.

formatting link

3 USB 2.0 1 IEEE 1394(a) 1 RJ-45 (NIC) 1 RJ-11 (Modem) 1 Audio In 1 Audio Out 1 Docking Connector 1 Travel Battery Connector 1 S-Video 1 Serial

Reply to
Roland Moore

DELL still makes laptops with Serial Ports.........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Reply to
Mark Leuck

My new(ish) Presario notebook has a serial port.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

no they don't . I asked heir support poeple yesterday.

Reply to
Don

The other option is get ahold of UsedLaptops.com and see if they still have any of those old bullteproof Toshiba laptops.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

yea, I have one of those old toshibas that works good butneed a newer operatingsystem for some software. prob cheaper to upgrade to win 2000 than get a new laptop, kinda wanted a new one. as slow a win98 is on that tecra I wonder how win 2000 would run on it? hate to spend much on an old used laptop upgrade.

Reply to
Don

formatting link
Front:

kinda high $, but there it is.

Reply to
Don

Try something like this:

formatting link
I've run into a couple machines recently that the PS/2 ports have simply stopped working on... these little gems have saved the day.

Reply to
Matt Ion

I have an old Toshiba Satellite... Pentium 90... runs Windows 98SE quite nicely. Has about a dozen serial ports! (Just kidding).

Reply to
Matt Ion

The Dell Latitude D620 still has a serial port, see "

formatting link
" however it lacks a parallel port (the D610 had both).

Also be careful that whatever laptop you buy still has a PC Card slot, as many newer models have dropped this.

You may want to buy a CardBus serial port card as opposed to a USB adapter. The CardBus card will work in more situations than a USB adapter, depending on the program and the O/S.

I use the Startech CB2S650 ("

formatting link
").

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.