Moose Z1100 Problems

Hi all:

We have a Moose Z1100 (Series I) that we hope to have monitored. It was monitored until a while ago when our alarm company went out of business. The alarm system seems to work fine except that when we plug the panel into the phone jack, our whole phone system goes dead (no dialtone.)

Anyone know if this is a common failure mode? Is this a fixable problem? Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated!!

Reply to
target_decoy
Loading thread data ...

Hi Z...

Possibilities: defective RJ31X telephone jack. telephone cord is not connected to the correct terminals of the Z1100. defective telephone cord. incorrect type of telephone cord. Z1100 needs power-off/on reset.

Might be other things... give me a call (number is on the website link below, use x2) and I'll be happy to discuss them.

Nick

formatting link
yeah, we monitor nationwide, including the Z1100) :-)

target snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

Thanks for the relpy, Nick!

I assume that the telephone jack is connected correctly. This system had been monitored in the past, and when activated, the Cops showed up. (Although, I suppose a connection may have come loose since then.)

Also, the phone company had to come and repair some lightning damage to their lines nearby. One possibility is that lightning could have fried something, right?

I'll try to cycle the power when I'm at the building this weekend. I'll let you know if it works...

Thanks,

Reply to
target_decoy

I have had lightning strike near a couple Z-1100's that I monitor. It opened a foil trace fusible link on the right hand terminal/mounting strip. Easily replaceable, if that's the trouble. I may have one laying around if you want to e-mail me. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com js

Reply to
alarman

Yes, lightning could be a player in this. Good luck. Nick

target snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

Bingo! That's almost certainly the problem. Here's how to find out.

1. Switch off the panel power using the black slide switch on the lower left.
  2. Loosen the four hex-nuts which hold the main circuit board in place.
  3. Remove the main circuit board by gently pulling on both sides.
  4. Remove the two small nuts which hold the small right-hand circuit board in place.
  5. Pull the board out and examine the solder traces on the rear, close to the top. There are maze-like patterns of solder there which act as sacrificial fuses. When lightning hits the phone line these traces blow up instead of the main circuit board.

If the traces are blown you can follow the point where they break off and bypass them with a small wire. Otherwise you have to replace the small circuit board. Unfortunately, they stopped making those boards years ago so swapping one out isn't an option (unless Jim Rojas has one in his garage).

One possible other solution: The original manufacturer, Moose Products was sold and the line eventually phased out. However, Wade Moose' new company, ELK Products might be able to source a replacement board. If you can't get it fixed by Tuesday (this is Easter weekend) let me know and I'll ask if they can help.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Many posters here are fond of the Z1100. I am not and never was a Moose sycophant. Since you have had the panel for many years may I suggest you have obtained all the value it has to give and perhaps it is time to think about getting a current production panel to replace it. I removed a Moose panel today. If it isn't in the trash I'll already I might be able to send it to you. If I thought it was actually doing you a favor and not a disservice I would consider it.

Reply to
Roland

...must resist commenting....must resist commenting...boat anc....no must resist....

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I can't speak for anyone else but I would say I *was* fond of the Z1100. For its day it was an advanced panel -- a good workhorse for residential and even mid-size commercial jobs.

They were easy to program, flexible and IMO well designed. However, the technology has advanced way beyond those days and now it's an antique.

That said, if it can be made to continue working without much expense or too much trouble, it's worth saving. It lasted this long for a reason. Moose built strong panels.

If you have a Z100 panel, all he probably needs is the right side PCB which is behind the main circuit board. You could thrown in main panel as well just in case but IME the majority of times when a Z1100 gets zapped only the side board gets fried.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.... you KNOW you want to say it!!

Reply to
Michael

work through it man you can do it...have a cup of java...take a deep breath and relax...if you still have problem call your MA sponsor.

| > We have a Moose Z1100 (Series I) that we hope to have monitored. It | > was monitored until a while ago when our alarm company went out of | > business. The alarm system seems to work fine except that when we | > plug the panel into the phone jack, our whole phone system goes dead | > (no dialtone.) | >

| > Anyone know if this is a common failure mode? Is this a fixable | > problem? Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated!! | >

| > --Z | | ...must resist commenting....must resist commenting...boat anc....no must | resist.... | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well I took apart the circuit boards as you detailed. Sure enough, the back side of the right sub-board is fried! Black. Toasted. I doubt any amount of solder & wire will be able to fix it, so it looks like I need a new board.

I'd greatly appreciate any help finding a replacement sub-board. Hopefully Mr. Rojas or Mr. Moose can help. Also, it sounds like another guy that replied may have on old one, if it's not fried, too. (Or if he hasn't sold it as a boat anchor.)

Thanks!!!!

Reply to
target_decoy

Hi Roland, thanks for the reply and the offer for help. I have determined that it's the right-side circuit board that's the problem. If you haven't already trashed it, (or if its not currently chained to your boat, keeping it from drifting), I would be very interested if you would consider shipping the boards to me. I hope we can work something out...

Thanks,

Reply to
target_decoy

Please take this to E-mail.

This is not a message board.

Reply to
Jim

I checked with ELK (nee Moose) Products and as I expected they have none of the old sub-panels left. 8-zone replacement panels and keypads are relatively inexpensive. If you'd like to discuss that possibility, give me a call.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.