Moose 2000

What in a panel that has been installed over 10 years would change to draw more current.

I changed the battery 5 month ago and it need ed a new on in a week, thinking it was on the shelf too long I ordered one and changed it. Now I get a low battery a again in 4 months latter. The battery before lasted 4-5 years. Any guesses? I have to go in Monday and look.

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

Did you trim the charger properly? Considering the panel's no longer in production, if the battery charger's hooped, you're going to have to replace the board and keypad.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hi Rich,

I don't know if it was true of the 2000 panels, but the power supply on their predecessors, the Z1100 series, had a habit of drifting. There was a small pot in the upper left hand quadrant of the circuit board that you could turn to bring them back to ~13.8VDC. Remove the battery while making the adjustment with a meter clipped to the battery leads. There's nothing on the subject in the manual because it wasn't intended as a field adjustment but at this point the warranty isn't exactly an issue. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I thank you for the Input. And nothing is in the manual

I see a 5K R5 pot up in the power filter section. Do you think?

Would any one have a print they would want to share. I'll keep in my file since I have 8 in service.

Richard Harrisburg, Pa.

Richard

Reply to
Rich

You may have had a bad batch of batteries, the box was dropped, etc. Aside from that, I just had a service call with a low battery on a Moose Z-1100. Turns out it was a blown fuse, not a battery. Rain had leaked in through a window to a Sentrol glassbreak, and had shorted the power terminals.

Reply to
alarman

That's probably the one. It should have a drop of a red, wax-like substance on it to keep it from being accidentally moved. Don't go wild on it though. It usually only takes a tiny adjustment to get back within spec.

I don't but Jim Rojas probably does. He has manuals for almost everything since the Arc of the Covenant. :^)

Note: Do NOT confuse Jim Rojas with the "other" Jim. Rojas is a decent guy. The other Jim is the foul-mouthed thug whose posts no doubt you've already deleted.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No you onlyTHINK thats what happened, in reality the Z1100 blew it's own fuse in a desperate attempt at electrical suicide

It wants to be a boat anchor, please don't hold it back....

Reply to
Mark Leuck

This one may get it's wish. I got a call from the business owner saying that it now takes just two digits of the code to arm/disarm. The saga continues...

Reply to
alarman

that was a program feature "two digit arming" ((check current programming to remove that feature)) RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Yeah, but 2-digit disarming??

Reply to
alarman

Thats just a feature, prevents false alarms from incorrect keypresses

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Wait another month and it'll be disarming all by itself

Reply to
Mark Leuck

the idea behind the 2 digit arm was to allow someone (ie.. maid, cleanup crew, workmen, etc...) to arm the system. But the same people could not disarm the system since you would need all 4 digits to do that.. RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

Reply to
alarman

Gee Jack you've only been working with Moose panels for what? 20 years? :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
alarman

Then you should have known the two-digit disarm code is for the maid... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Well I looked and found tit to be set as is. 13.8 I left it alone although I will add a second battery. It was a good idea though. From the officer it goes off every 4 - 5 days for a bit.

The current draw is .3 Amps

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On CNN today I saw a Moose stuck in the ice and half submerged. Maybe that's not good for real moose, but I think that is good enough for all Moose panels, except fully submerged would be best.

Reply to
Just Looking

question: is the alarm really going off, or is the monitoring company calling an alarm from a low battery signal?

We had been using a monitoring company in "Greenville MS" (hehe) and their operators were always sending alarm reports to service only signals...

Only way we could get them to stop was to change monitoring companies... RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.