laptop serial port

I only use the small panels 10,15,20's I find them easy to program. Ademco's support is pretty good and I've never really had one fail either. They're just a plain vanilla panel that works.

For larger installs or custom homes I use a different product altogether.

| >

| > One thing I have learned over the years with software development is never | > give a date when software will be released. | >

| > BTW I did some downloads on Vista-15P and Vista-20P's over 7845i and GSM | > modules, pretty sweet. | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Fair'nuff... it's still more effort than simply plugging in an adapter that I'm gonna bill back to the client anyway :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

The laptops we use have no serial ports or parallel ports, and I tried a different model from Targus (the PA075), and I never got it to work with the serial connections (Ademco, GE Alliance, Pass Point, IEI, & Napco specifically). Tech Support said it wasn't made for direct constant connections like that, only external modems and mice. Had great results with the Belkin F5U103, with all those serial connections, and an external modem for dialup downloaders. A co-worker got one of the $18 dollar models, and got very miced results. I've heard people recommend the serial port PCMCIA cards, but haven't tried them personally. I would not get the Targus, and call the manufacturers you are using to see if they have a preference (some recommend one specific model that they sell, but that's not a practical solution, one USB adapter for each maker).

>
Reply to
Michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.