Laptop Serial Adaptor

Ok.. we had a conversation on here the other day about the fact that most new laptops don't have serial ports. There are USB serial adaptors (I have one) but I hear they don't work with all software. I currently use a couple old Toshiba laptops I got from usedlaptops.com several years ago that do have serial ports, but I got to thinking about options.

Somebody mentioned that there are PCMCIA to serial cards so I checked one of my vendors and found this one.

formatting link
Looks like just the ticket except its relatively expensive at $205.00

Any others out there that might be a little more economical and work well. I would really like to start using newer laptops for stuff so that I can integrate better laptops with more services in the field.

-- Bob La Londe - Webmaster

formatting link

Tornament Director

formatting link

*** Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Bob check Ebay. I got a good deal on 1 there for far less than $205.00, also shop around for a Single RS232 rather than that double. Look around for Socket I/O they are more reasonable.

Reply to
Sean Sokoly

Bob....

formatting link
$85

formatting link
formatting link
Also sewelldirect.com carries a whole bunch of them.

Reply to
coord

You might check with the people at the below site. They make some USB to serial equipment which works very well. It has been my experience that they are very responsive to questions. They may have single USB serial adapter that will work with the desired equipment. If the programming software is old and requires hardware bit banging of the DTR/RTS lines and such, then the PCMCIA card may be the only way to go.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Dell still makes laptops with the serial port... Here's a link to one

formatting link

Reply to
Russell Brill

If you were using Napco this would be a non-issue, Bob. They make a USB port-to-panel connector for their software. Plug it in, tell the software what you're using and you're off.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You are getting forgetful in your old age. I am using Napco panels mostly. I was not aware there was a USB to panel adaptor. Of course that won't work with panels that don't have a jack, but I program most of those from the keypad anyway. I'll get ahold of my rep and ask about one right away.

Still need that serial port for other stuff though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

The USB to Serial converter doesn't work very well with the Napco software, I had to breakdown and buy another laptop with a serial port... I'm can now program Napco panels without any fuss or loss of hair :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

My father likes to say getting old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.

Since only old Napco panels are sans jack, it's not much of an issue any more. The USB version of the PCI-MINI has been out for a while now. Since I don't do site work for pay any more, I don't really need one though I still have the serial version laying around somewhere.

It beats trying to maintain an old laptop just for programming.

Yep. I don't know if other manufacturers' software is as temperamental about USB-serial port adaptors but most of the time they don't work with Napco. Some machines will and some won't configure the USB-serial port as "COM#" and unless you can do that Quickloader has trouble. I never tried to find out which PC makes / models work since they're always changing anyway.

If all else fails, there's always Jim Rojas' everlasting garage sale. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.