laptop serial port

Then Dell needs some new support people. The Latitude D620 definitely does have a serial port.

"

formatting link
" You can even click on the picture, turn it around, and see the back, and clearly see the 9 pin serial port connector.

Reply to
SMS
Loading thread data ...

Often the picofuse on the +5V line will blow. It's replaceable if you're good at soldering.

Reply to
SMS

One thing to consider, if you don't want to spend the $900 or so on a Dell Latitude D620, is that there are a lot of D610 Latitudes on the used market. They will come with the balance of the Dell three year warranty, and you can transfer it on-line. I prefer the D610 over the D620 because the D610 also has a parallel port, and it has the non-widescreen.

I also use infrared, and many manufacturers have dropped IR support. I was never a big Dell fan, but I bought the D610 in desperation, needing a laptop with a serial port, parallel port, and IR, and not wanting external junk hanging off. Also, I need to run Linux sometimes, and need the serial and parallel ports to work, something that would be unlikely to happen with a USB to serial port or USB to parallel port converter.

Reply to
SMS

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

so when will we see a new Compass anywah...any scuttlebutt yet?

| > >

| > >

formatting link
| > >

| > >

| > >$40. The Cadillac of serial ports. | >

| > Have you tried it on download software, and if so, which ones? I've tried | > several USB-RS232 converters with Compass, without success. | >

| > - badenov | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes there will be a new Compass released in the future

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I didn't know that.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Actually, no, I have not personally tried it with downloaders.

Reply to
G. Morgan

which future?

| >

| > | > >

| > | > >

formatting link
| > | > >

| > | > >

| > | > >$40. The Cadillac of serial ports. | > | >

| > | > Have you tried it on download software, and if so, which ones? I've | > tried | > | > several USB-RS232 converters with Compass, without success. | > | >

| > | > - badenov | > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

There is no requirement to remove them. Most manufacturers have removed them from consumer level laptops in order to save money and space, but on commercial laptops several manufacturers continue to offer legacy ports, and will do so for the foreseeable future. Dell (d620), HP (nc8430), Fujitsu (E8110), Toshiba (Tecra M5) are popular products for business and commercial use where a serial port is still required, and where a USB to Serial converter will often not work.

Reply to
SMS

Or much of anything else, apparently.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: QfGdnfrLOcAcnKzYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

At least he can say that he doesn't know something..

that's a lot better then asking like a jerk that THINK he knows everything...what was it? was it "bond".....LOL

even me I was able to recognized the Declaration of Independence....And I am not an American...Geeeee

Reply to
Petem

One thing I have learned over the years with software development is never give a date when software will be released.

BTW I did some downloads on Vista-15P and Vista-20P's over 7845i and GSM modules, pretty sweet.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There is that... but $25 for an adapter is a lot cheaper and easier than an hour or more of my time to pull all the cards, remove the board, desolder one fuse, find an appropriate replacement, solder it back in, and reassemble everything, and pray that that was the actual fix :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

You don't have to use a fuse, just jumper it. The fuse is there because of stupid UL requirement, where they are worried that a short in the keyboard cable will heat the cable up and start a fire. When I worked at a motherboard company, we didn't use a fuse for countries where the safety agency didn't require it. I couldn't believe that is was actually any cheaper to put in a jumper than a fuse, but it saved about 3 cents per motherboard, and we were manufacturing hundreds of thousands of boards per month.

Reply to
SMS

Shhh! He still thinks its "against code" to hook up a 110VAC smoke alarm to your home's security system. No wait... He *also* thinks that connecting any kind of fire detection to your home security system turns it into a *fire alarm* system...

Reply to
Frank Olson

I always wonder why some guys like Ademco (Honeywell) stuff. Do you really prefer it for any reasons other than price or ADI availability? I had to put in a Vista 250 FBP for another alarm company and it was really pain to program even with Compass. The 4208 SN wasn't too bad but when I got over

200 zones the silly thing took forever to respond to an open loop (seven seconds). Tech support said "Yeah, over 200 points they don't work so good". The 4204 and the 4204 CF were really goofy. Not even the guys at level 2 tech support seemed to understand it very well when trying to create conditions to trip one area and not another or move the elevator. There was a feature I called "flush the toilet" where you had to power cycle the panel to accept any program changes in the relay output schema. I don't know but using combo burg/fire panels like the 250 FBP is not my preference especially when trying to find a foreign ground. If you know the future when is AlarmNet G coming out? Ademco says AlarmNet C it is going away like all the others in the AMPS network (but they keep selling it). I heard they are going to have a trade in program like Uplink did. I haven't used the 7845i but I have used the Bosch equal (9133-TTLE and 4020i) and the Napco equal. It is a lot faster than dial up.
Reply to
Roland Moore

I used to not care much for the Ademco brand, I felt the low and mid-end panels were way long in the tooth as far as capabilities. Then they brought out the 15P/20P and that opinion changed, I can do a ton of things with timers and outputs that I can't do with any other panel.

The other reason is support from the manufacturer

Well yes because it's a top of the line panel

It's out now

It is going away and they aren't selling it anymore

They are

And much more difficult to setup. I have 2 test panels at my house, one with a 7845i Internet module and the other with a 7845iGSM Internet/cellular module. Pretty sweet stuff

Reply to
Mark Leuck

radioshack.com 24.99

Reply to
Ratchet442

Thanks for the info. I'll get with the ADI branch on Monday.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.