Firewall port 1105 (FTRANHC) & port 1239 (NMSD) ?

Can someone shed light on this message from Sygate Personal Firewall? Firefox (firefox.exe) is being contacted from a remote machine

formatting link
[66.102.7.104] using local port 1105 (FTRANHC - FTRANHC). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

1. I brought up firefox and went to google groups.
  2. Sygate asked me if I wanted to go there at port 80 & I said OK.
  3. Then, Google came back asking to come in on port 1105. Why does Google want to remote initiate at port 1105?

Then I search for port lists and find this URL:

formatting link

When I go to that link, besides the request to go out on port 80 I get another incoming Sygate permission request asking: NDIS User mode I/O Driver (ndisuio.sys) is being contacted from a remote machine

formatting link
[68.178.160.90] using local port 1239 (NMSD - NMSD). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

I say no, and the web page won't come up.

So I go to

formatting link
to find not much on these two ports.

My confusion lies in why these web sites feel the need to contact me on any port other than the port 80 that I go out to them on.

Can you shed light on what is the normal process here?

Thank you for your guidance, Ellen

Reply to
Ellen Thames
Loading thread data ...

Hello YoKenny, I had found the port list web site by searching for port lists (I wasn't sure which is the "correct" port list web site). I guess that particular URL is a bad port list web site.

But I may have accidently misled you. My real question really revolved around why any web site (the reputable google included), would feel the need to contact me on a DIFFERENT port than the port 80 which I initiated communication on? And, if I rejected that request (which I am wont to do by default), then why would my web request on port 80 therefore fail because I rejected an incoming request from that web site on ports 1105 or 1239.

Ellen T.

Reply to
Ellen Thames

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.