Give me a reason to say no.

Some job to put in mobile DVR units ran under our nose. Buses? I think I could stand putting in a Cisco Mobile Routers for a while. But running wires in a hot bus, parked in a noisy busy bus yard, putting in DVRs and cameras day after day, month after month doesn't thrill my soul. Sounds worse than multifamily. At least in multifamily you don't have to put in tilt vectors - and boy could I make the bus tilt, at least at the start of the job. By the end of it my fat wrinkles might get to be so scarce they are put on the endangered species list. They would probably be consumed by the evil swamp ass monster. You know the one that comes out of your pants after you've been in a 140 degree attic all day and look like you've been swimming with your clothes on. On the other hand it just might be time to stuff a big piece of itch-a-lation in my drawers and grow a new crop of broccoli and cauliflower. Heck at the end of the day I am sure all of the installers would walk out of the bus like penguins coming off the ice sheet, but they really would have just finished steaming the veggies. Has anyone here ever made any money doing mobile DVRs? How badly does the public (and bus employees) abuse mobile camera gear? Please give me a reason to say no to the job.

Reply to
Roland Moore
Loading thread data ...

If its a government entitiy that owns the line thats reason enough not to do it. expect the equiptment to be abused by the drivers and public who do not want it. Expect everyday to be doing service calls on installed units . Expect bus mechanics to screw with it and damage wiring put wrong voltage to it and blow it up. Reason enough. Unless its big bucks I would not even touch it.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

cauliflower.

Umm...How about, because you don't want to do it. Or, pull a Nancy Reagan and "Just say no!" Geez, Roland, instead of broccoli and cauliflower, just grow a pair. :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Too late to say no. I have already become terribly addicted to eating at least every other day or so, and damn if you don't need money to support that nasty habit.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Welp if you bid it right...go for it. But somehow it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of this one...go with your instinct...use the Schwartz Luke, use the Schwartz.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No, Roland I know nothing of these creatures, but I'm pretty sure if you tell the bus company about the evil swamp arse monsters that come out of your pants at the end of the day then the question of you saying no will be moot.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Good point, but if you've never done a project like that you have nothing to measure the "bid it right part" from personal experience. You know how manufacturers representatives are when they find a project and then come to you like and put on a show like the Dance of the Sugar Plum Ferry and then you're left with the rest of the whole 'Nutcracker'.

Reply to
Roland Moore

aha ha! :)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Those damn manufacturers! How many cars did they tell you this "Ferry" will hold. :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yes. They're easy to install. Most of the time they only want a camera mounted at the front center. The DVR can be mounted in a locked cabinet with the camera mounted underneath. The whole thng mounts to the top of the cab area above the windshield. You'll need to run a single strand for power.

If they want multiple cameras, obviously there will be more work involved but it's highly doable. If there are enough buses to merit it, consider farming out the labor to a local mobile electronics installer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

mounted at the front center. The DVR can be mounted in a

the top of the cab area above the windshield. You'll

And just when have you installed these? Oh, never mind... you're lying again.

Reply to
G. Morgan

LOL... yep.

The other funny part is I'm heavily involved with a ballet company and right now they're about killing me doing artwork for Nutcracker...6 years working with them damn wimmens...I've had it with Nutcrapper.

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You think they're difficult? Several of my DIY customers have installed them with little or no tropuble. One client, a school bus company, bought several a few months ago for a pilot program. Their in-house maintenance mechanic put them in. If the school board likes the results they plan to install them in their entire fleet.

The reality is that these are about as hard to deal with a car stereo, except that they don't have to be fitted into the dashboard. That may be beyond your skill set, of course and if the bus yard is an open area you'd have to deal with your agoraphobia / panic disorder. Other than that even you might actually be able to handle the job if you could stop drinking long enough to read the manual.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Just for fun I ran a Google on "Nutcracker Suite". The first link wasn't about ballet. Ick!... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I suspect something went wrong with the job in a big way before. I remember about 6 months ago a similar RFP came out and companies were on it like roaches. It went through the bid process and was awarded I assume. I didn't pay attention to who got it and since we didn't participate by bidding we didn't receive a bid tab. Here's the disturbing part. On this next go 'round when we did take a formal sniff we noticed that about 100 or so of the busses were wired and had camera housings but no cameras. When we asked what was up with that we got the ususal "submit the question in writing". So if it as simple as some people here seem to think, someone who started the job didn't read that post. I have no idea if the two are related but it seems the regular integrator that did the rest of the security for the facility got the smoldering boot print on his ass at about the same time. Something isn't right.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I didn't say I thought they were difficult, try to pay attention.

When have YOU installed them?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.