[telecom] Supreme Court Chooses SOPA/PIPA Protest Day To Give A Giant Middle Finger To The Public Domain

Supreme Court Chooses SOPA/PIPA Protest Day To Give A Giant Middle Finger To The Public Domain

by Mike Masnick Jan 18, 2012 Techdirt

We've been talking about the Golan case, and its possible impact on culture, for years. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's the third in a line of cases, starting with the Eldred case, to challenge aspects of copyright law as violating the First Amendment. The key point in the case was questioning whether or not the US could take works out of the public domain and put them under copyright. The US had argued it needed to do this under a trade agreement to make other countries respect our copyrights. Of course, for those who were making use of those public domain works, it sure seemed like a way to unfairly lock up works that belonged to the public. It was difficult to see how retroactively taking works out of the public domain could fit into the traditional contours of copyright law... but today, on the day of the big SOPA/PIPA protests... that's exactly what happened (pdf).

formatting link
formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

This isn't that close to "telecom", but I'm putting it out there because it seems to my untrained eye to allow companies to extend copyrights which have already expired, and that would allow telecom equipment manufacturers to 'proprietize' the technical information needed to keep older equipment in service, thus driving owners toward new purchases.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

I'm not certain that I understand all the rules that have been in effect in the past, but wasn't copyright even under the old rules long enough (at least if a manufacturer renewed them after 28 years, when that clause applied) to make any equipment in use today pretty much obsolete before the documentation became public domain?

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.