GEM-RP1CAe2 replacement

I checked the keypad and it is not locked to the panel soI will be able to switch it out no problem. When I do the swap must I power down the entire alarm (remove the batter and unplug the power pack from the wall?)

Do I need to move the jumper also?

After I replace the keypad and power up the unit is there anything else I need to do or should it just (hopefully) work again.

Thanks to everyone in this form for being so helpful to me in the past.

Steven

Reply to
wallstreet123456
Loading thread data ...

Did you go into the keypad configuration mode now to determine what the configuration of your present keypad is? You should do that first so that you know how to configure your new keypad. If your old keypad configuration was changed in any way during installation and you don't know what the changes are, you could wind up with some problems. Go from point to point in the configuration mode an write down the setting in each. ( see how to get into the configuration mode below. Just don't power the system down now.)

Once having determined what your present keypad configuration is, power down the entire system, ( transformer and battery) Change the keypad. Move the jumper on the panel PCB. Power up the panel pluging the transformer in first and quickly attaching the battery. The system will come up in the "OUT OF SYSTEM" mode at the keypad. Press in 11123 and the function button to get into the keypad configuration mode and make it the same as your present keypad. Look at the Installation/ Programing insturctions for specifics on how to do this. Once this is completed, move the jumper on the panel PCB back to the run position and run for cover. Nah!

It may take more than a minute for the keypad to return to the normal running mode.

Reply to
Jim

Once my keypad arrives from the online vendor I will do exactly as you mentioned above, step by step. Thank you again!

Reply to
wallstreet123456

Also, after I copy my settings down and put them into the keypad how do I save them, must I hit reset on the pad or some other key when I am finished entering my settings?

Reply to
wallstreet123456

Pushing the On/Off key saves but I STRONGLY suggest that you PLEASE read the installation/programing instructions for doing this. I'm giving you information from my memory. I've been doing this for over

40 years. Much of what I do is so automatic that it's difficult for me to know if I'm telling you all the necessary steps that need to be done. I do it by rote now. If I forget to tell you to do something and you F.... k up, there's possibly not going to be an easy way to get you out of trouble. LOOK AT THE INSTRUCTIONS.

And another suggestion: after you THINK you have everything right, go back and look at each programed configuration page, checking it against your list before you leave the configuration mode. THEN ...... you push the reset key. Not before.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for the tip. I do plan on looking at it but from looking at it in the past it is a little confusing.

Reply to
wallstreet123456

I thought that all the information in the keypad was stored in the panel and when I swiched the keypad it would all flow into the new one. This was very helpful Jim.

If I do something wrong when setting it up (Just want to make sure) if I put the old keypad back on will it work again?

Reply to
wallstreet123456

Yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reply to
Jim

e:

OK, I just received my new keypad in the mail today and when I opened it it has a wire harness in the box that connects to the keypad. I have not removed my old panel from the wall yet (it is about 10 years old) did the old ones also have a wire harness? I hope so because all I will have to do is remove the old harness and attach it to the new keypad.

Reply to
wallstreet123456

ote:

Yes, after you have determined and recorded the configuration of your old keypad, power down the system, remove the front of the old keypad from the back half. Unplug the old keypad and plug in the new one. Be careful, the pins are delicate. Be sure you check all sides of the connector to make use you've aligned and inserted it properly. Mount the new keypad. Move the jumper on the main panel PCB and power up the system. Follow the instructions I've given you so far and refer to the installation manual for the fine details for configuring the new kepad. Once you are done, move the jumper on the PCB back to run position and wait a minute or so for the keypad to return to normal condition then try to arm the system and use all the functions of the keypad.

Reply to
Jim

Y'know... These days you seem to be a whole heck of a lot more patient. Or am I just imagining things? :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

:

I think I've said it here before but, if I had to describe myself it would be....

I'm a nice guy.

I'm a nice guy.

I'm a nice guy.

I'm a nice guy.

Then .................... I'm not nice guy.

What the f.....k is it to ya anyway?

(How's that? Feel better now?)

Reply to
Jim

Loads! Thanks Jim.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Well, it's really a relief that you feel better now.

See? Now if that isn't proof of what a nice guy I am, ..... I don't know what is.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks Jim, I was able to change the keypad with all of the instructions you gave me and the system is working fine.

One thing I noticed is that this new keypad stays illuminated all the time, in the past the light would turn off after about 30 seconds. Is there a setting somewhere I have to change in order to get it to time out? I am concerned that the light will eventually burn out.

Thanks again Steven

Reply to
wallstreet123456

Ummmm, I'm kinda guessing now but off hand I'd say that in the past, the back light went dark when not in use. Then ( I think) it only went dim when not in use and got brighter when you pressed a key. I haven't noticed any change of late, but maybe it just slipped by me. So ...... I dough-no. However, the back light is an LED. It may well stay lit longer than you're on this earth.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.