Extending battery Capacity during long Power outages

Does anyone know of potential issues extending battery capacity on a security alarm system by just added a cabinet, and running 4 x 8amp/hr batteries in parallel instead of the typical single 7amp/hr battery.

The charge circuit on a security system would be limited to a maximum charge current, but all I can see for issues are:

1) Longer to charge after a discharge 2) batteries should be same age, amp/hr to reduce changes of overcharging 3) ??

Some comments I've seen from people is they thought more batteries could overload the charging cct.. but, battery charges would have a maximum output amperage... (take alot longer to recharge) so I don't understand how that would occur..

This must be a common thing to do in places where storms are common and they need the alarm system to have backup power (non-generator) for a day or two?

Thanks! Michelle

Reply to
Medtech1
Loading thread data ...

There shouldn't be a any problem except those you have noted. I will, however suggest that you Google the proper hookup procedure for charging batteries in parallel. Surprisingly it's not as straight forward as you might think.

Reply to
Jim

the problem is with the charger which may not have enough power to keep batterys charged properly typical max most panels is 18 amp

Reply to
NickMark

curity alarm system by just added a cabinet, and running 4 x 8amp/hr batter ies in parallel instead of the typical single 7amp/hr battery.

harge current, but all I can see for issues are:

d overload the charging cct.. but, battery charges would have a maximum out put amperage... (take alot longer to recharge) so I don't understand how th at would occur..

they need the alarm system to have backup power (non-generator) for a day or two?

atterys charged properly typical max most panels is 18 amp

Thanks for the responses.

I can monitor the charge voltage/current.. I would imagine the charge volta ge itself would be a few volts above... so 14 volts or so. Can a person a dd another separate charger to the batteries in parallel with the existing battery leads from the alarm board? or how can one isolate them?

Reply to
Medtech1

security alarm system by just added a cabinet, and running 4 x 8amp/hr batt eries in parallel instead of the typical single 7amp/hr battery.

charge current, but all I can see for issues are:

uld overload the charging cct.. but, battery charges would have a maximum o utput amperage... (take alot longer to recharge) so I don't understand how that would occur..

nd they need the alarm system to have backup power (non-generator) for a da y or two?

batterys charged properly typical max most panels is 18 amp

tage itself would be a few volts above... so 14 volts or so. Can a person add another separate charger to the batteries in parallel with the existin g battery leads from the alarm board? or how can one isolate them?

Buy as big a UPS back up power supply as you need and plug the alarm system into it.

Reply to
Jim

Yes, but tie the negatives together.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.