Firelite MS9600 Installer Code

I've been asked to take over serice on this panel. Previous company will not divulgetheir code or return code to factory default. Is there any "back door" into this panel/ Thanks for the help...

Reply to
oldbellman
Loading thread data ...

RHC: Same old story...misuse of the installer lockout feature......talk to Jim Rojas of this newsgroup

Reply to
tourman

With fire systems a simple letter written by an attorney to the alarm dealer should fix that issue. Otherwise contact your state attorney's office to right a letter to the dealer.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Called "Firelite" this morning. Entering "**123" will default installer code (00000)

Reply to
oldbellman

Yer kiddin.......... Right?

Reply to
Jim

That's actually pretty scary... I'll have to try it out!

Reply to
Frank Olson

A fire alarm panel is a whole different ball game, Bob. Unless you're

100% confident in your ability to program the sucker, you can really screw things up (which may wind up shutting down the building). Edwards leaves the Quickstart panels at the factory default and more than one well-meaning tech has figured... "hey, this is easy, I can just enter the "auto learn" mode and configure this new pull station on my own - without calling the "big boys"!". Only to find out that "auto-learn" also defaults the system and you lose all the custom programming! Then it's an emergency call to Edwards and a possible fire watch if their techs are too busy to attend that day.
Reply to
Frank Olson

RHC: Ok, glad you brought that to my attention. I know zip about fire alarms; however, it does seem to me somewhat unfair to the company coming in to restrict access to what they need to program the system. Is the assumption that they are not to be trusted and this is why the original company is keeping things close to the vest. What's the difference here ?

Reply to
tourman

Will be trying it tomorrow. Report to follow...

Reply to
oldbellman

I certainly wouldn't want some guy "programming" our panels. If we have to make changes we pull the file from the office, do the changes and download it to the panel. If another installer made changes (manual entry), then what-ever he did would be over-written. Then there's the verification. If you program changes to a panel you have to be able to issue an amended Appendix "C" document (CAN/ULC-S537-04 - Standard for Verification of Fire Alarm Systems). If the changes are properly documented and there's a valid Appendix C we might be able to upload them and perform a program check, but I would rather be called out to do the changes on any panels >we< programmed.

These days manufacturers like Potter are "giving away" certificates which meet the ULC requirement for "training" after taking one of their "online" presentations and completing an open book twenty question test. Then they wonder why they get so many tech support calls from guys who've never programmed a fire alarm system or worked with the software. If you screw up a home alarm panel, the customer's not much more worse off than he was before you installed it. If you screw up a fire alarm system, you're messing with people's lives and the fire department takes a pretty dim view of that.

Regards, Frank

Reply to
Frank Olson

Example: You install a fire alarm system in a school and some "other" alarm company or unqualified tech comes in to add a device or do service or what ever and inadvertently makes a mistake. You, as the installing and monitoring dealer are still going to be in a tough spot in the event of a life taking fire, even though your weren't responsible for the mistake. Same goes for burglar alarms but the threat is more often property loss. Once there is no more relationship between you and the client, give them the code. They can do what ever they want with the system once you're no longer responsible. In my area, if the out going company doesn't give up the code on a fire alarm system usually a call to the local fire marshal can motivate the out going company to comply.

Reply to
Jim

Worked Beautiful!

Reply to
oldbellman

Great. I wonder if it works on Notifier panels as well.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Holy Crap!

If I were installing fire alarms that would reaaaaaalllly make me want to use THOSE panels.

Yeh ..... sure!

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

Notifier panels do not have that same back door master code. They encrypt the correct code and give it as a response to an incorrectly entered code. You can then take that encrypted response to tech support and if you are a Notifier dealer they will give you the correct code.

Bill

Reply to
jewellfish

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.