DSC 5501Z

Hi,

I've moved into a house with a security system with a DSC 5501Z keypad that has a few PIRs and a couple of door contacts.

The system won't arm. The keypad has 3 lights on it "Ready", "Armed", "Trouble". None of the lights are lit. The system seems to know when you walk past a PIR in that it shows an open door symbol and pressing # on the keypad shows whether any "zones" are currently occupied. It shows the time just fine and if I ask it to arm it seems to try and then beeps cheerfully before not arming :-)

There is a circular "information" symbol on the screen as well. If I press *2 on the system then no trouble conditions are displayed but the orange trouble light flashes for a while.

Can anyone help me in understanding how I get the system to go back into the "Ready" state so that it can be armed or at least how I ask it why it won't put the "Ready" light on?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
MT
Loading thread data ...

Press # on the keypad it should scroll through the open zones on the display where the clock is. If everything is closed, then it should arm. Ive only seen on keypad that the lights burnt out in it. Other than that something might have been removed, or if it has EOL on it and one of the reisitors is missing from a device that can prevent an arming too.And when you press *2 on the keypad there is little tiny numbers at the very top of the screen that light up, make sure you are at eye level when you check the troubles. That keypad can be hard to read if its too low.

Reply to
Devin

Ah, that explains it. I know what the trouble is now. I've seen this before many times. You have a FEMALE keypad. Replace it with a MALE, and your troubles will be over. js

Reply to
alarman

Thanks a lot for the reply - much appreciated.

When I press # on the keypad, no zones come up at all. Nothing comes on the screen.

When I press *2 there's no numbers at the top of the screen - the orange "Trouble" light flashes at this point until I press # and go back to the time screen and then the "Trouble" light goes out.

It seems like the box is unhappy but it doesn't want to tell me what's upsetting it. There is a phone dialling box (SD1+) connected to this system - could that be stopping it from arming?

Thanks,

Mike.

Reply to
MT

ROFL!! (Or wait a few days until it's period is over.)

Not knowing your set-up, it would be difficult to determine what's causing this. Typically, an open zone will turn "off" the ready light and display on the keypad. I would check the connections (both at the keypad and the control). How is the phone box connected?? Is it done through a zone?? If so, identify the zone and see if you can bypass it.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks again for responses.

I'm not sure how the phone box is connected in - it did work for a couple of days and then it gave up the ghost so I've a feeling that it's more the "software" than the "hardware" unless I've just been unlucky and it's packed in within a few days of starting to use it.

I've tried bypassing zones 01->09 but I get error "beeps" for all zones other than 02,03,04 which are the PIRs so it looks like those are the only zones the box knows about.

Any more suggestions would be welcome - is there some kind of master reset key sequence for this keypads?

Reply to
MT

The other zones could have bypass disabled. open the box and see how many zones are connected. then follow the wires and let us know what all they are connected too. would help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Reply to
Devin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.