problem with dsc 1616 power keypad

Hi

I'm trying to setup my dsc 1616 system - did the wires, etc.

Now ... if I turn on power the keypad (PK5501) shows the little keypad/ finger symbol on the left and a unset clock to the right (with blinking colon) - - : - -

Pressing any key on the keypad makes the clock go away ... it returns to - - : - - a couple of seconds later.

If I press hash (#) for 2 seconds or so the keypad beeps 3 times and the little warning symbol lights up on the right (none of the 4 symbols was one before), the little keypad/finger on the left disappears.

Not typing anything the keypad returns to the state above.

If I type star (*) or hash (#) I get another beep - the latter seems to return the keypad back into the state above ... it's weird and not at all what's expected.

I've reset the the console via the bridge between PGM1+Z1 ... no change.

Anyone know how to unwedge this?

Thanks Nils

Reply to
NilsCA
Loading thread data ...

Yea get someone who knows what they are doing and can read instructions to work on it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

All DSC products need to have the clock set when you first power them up. Enter *6, then your four digit master code, then 1, then the time (in 24 hour format) hh/mm then the date mm/dd/yy then "#" twice. Read the freakin' manual. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Maybe it IS rocket science after all.

Reply to
alarman

Hi Frank

thanks for the reply - yeah, I should have mentioned that I tried that already.

I press

• 6 1234 1 1212 121207 # #

there's no beeps, no change in display, no acknowledgement at all, no change to the keypad showing the little program symbol on the left

If I go

hold # (3 short beeps, light goes on, programming symbol goes away)

• 6 1234 1 1212 121207 # #

then it beeps once somewhere during that sequence - light goes off, programming symbol appears again.

I still get nothing - the keypad keeps on only showing the little prog system left

[ ] - - : - -

I fear there's something not right with the keypad. Any way to hard- reset it (tried the console as mentioned already)?

Cheers and Thanks for trying Nils

Reply to
NilsCA

Hmm, have to reply to myself - got some more info

I've managed to unwedge the keypad by

press # (beep) hold (3 beeps) press 1 (beep) hold (3 beeps)

the programming symbol goes away and the keypad is as I'd expect. Set the clock, program a zone, test the system (*6 MMMM 4), door chime, etc. all works

After 10 secs inactivity the panel switches back to showing the clock and keypad symbol on the left, doesn't take input, no door chime, no ready symbol.

I've done all factory default resets [993-999] ... anyone have another good RTFM pointer I'm missing?

Thanks a lot Nils

Reply to
NilsCA

case closed - it was an invalid partition/slot assignment - see

formatting link
rocket science after all, Mark & alarman, you might want to read up on that one :)

Cheers to Frank Nils

Reply to
NilsCA

another boat anchor

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We need to read up because you programmed the keypad with an invalid partition assignment?

js

Reply to
alarman

Not rocket science, more akin to brain surgery

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Projection "A defense mechanism in which one attributes to others one?s own unacceptable or unwanted thoughts or/and emotions"

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Fat-fingering:

1. Tinkering with electrical/mechanical devices without the slightest inkling of what one is doing.
  2. Rendering said equipment inoperative through direct action in spite of gross ignorance.
Reply to
alarman

NilsCA wrote in news:1193060433.120254.41960 @z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like you have the keypad set as a global keypad. Set the address to 11.

It's in the manual

Reply to
motley me

yes, that's the trick - thanks for your helpful post motley me

Cheers Nils

Reply to
NilsCA

Hey alarmman

I'm in a good mood so I'll spell it out for you:

yes, I'm a newbie who had a question - I got friendly help to try to diagnose it (in the end I found the solution myself actually)

you on the other hand don't like to help newbies, as a matter of fact you don't keep it for yourself but make that perfectly clear with your snotty answer; apparently you think you're an "expert of some sorts" while your diagnosis ends up being wrong ... wow

That leaves me as a newbie and you as a pretty unfriendly person who doesn't know it all even though you're full of yourself ... maybe you can still lighten up a bit, help some old lady across the street, make some friends, sharpen your skills - good luck

Cheers Nils

Reply to
NilsCA

sorry, another follow up :)

I mixed you up - you didn't provide any solution at all actually. So please scratch

you can keep your expert hat and don't read up. Only your unhelpful, snotty attitude to work on ;)

Cheers Nils

Reply to
NilsCA

Hey, dumbass The fact remains you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, didn't RTFM, and misprogrammed the system. You gonna deny that now? Then, you told me that I needed to read up. What a laugh.

I'm willing to help anyone who isn't so lazy that they can't read the instructions. You are typical of a lot of the losers who blow in here and want your hand held, then get mad when you're taken to task for being a complete idiot. Software/network/computer guy...right.

-- js

- The bigger they are, the harder they fall. ( Also, the harder they bite, punch, and kick.)

Reply to
alarman

Still not reading before you act I see. Maybe you need to work on that.

Reply to
alarman

Nice sentiments. Trouble is many regular posters here just like to get under each others skins. They work all day with alarms and don't need the practice. I am glad you found the answer to your problem, despite some misinformation. The difference is someone here isn't in front of what you are there, so you have a big leg up.

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.