Re: Commander 2000 as standalone

Basshit! That panel is proprietary to ADT, neither Jim Rojas or Robert Campbell have any information on the programming of THAT version of the Commander 2000 and the fields are are completely different, it also sends a proprietary form of ITI or SIA format

He has the user manual not the installation manual, that panel is useless

From: "Robert L Bass" Subject: Re: Commander 2000 as standalone Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:20 PM

I just bought a home with a Commander 2000 installed and ready to go > (power, sensors, siren). I'm toying with the idea of using it without > a subscription or monitor service but not sure exactly what that might > entail. The previous owner was using ADT. I'm not too thrilled with > their high rates and 3-year obligation, so I would like to use it as a > standalone alarm. I have the manual and understand I will need to get > the codes from ADT. Is it that simple or is there more I need to > know? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Yes, it is that simple. The hard part is getting the programming access code from your local ADT "authorized dealer." You'll need that to make any changes. They don't usually part with the codes though. Some will give you the code but charge a fat fee for it, even if the system is your property. Some are more decent and will treat you fairly. Either way, the first call should be to ADT to see if they are willing to assist you.

If they won't give you the code there are a couple of people who post in this newsgroup who may be able to default the system for you. Jim Rojas and Bob Campbell are good guys. If they can't help, you can replace the board. They're not expensive. Everything else should work fine.

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for all the answers! But before I had a chance to read them or call ADT, I went to the house after work to try the default access code listed in the manual just for fun and to my surprise it worked! Following the manual, I changed the code, tested the sensors and the siren (it's, uh, loud), set the chime, and changed the speaker voice volume. These seem to be good signs. Maybe I won't need to get a phone line set up afterall, or a monitoring service, for now.

As far as X-10 lamp modules or additional sensors are concerned, are they considered "DIY"?

Thanks again, Eddie

Reply to
floydboyd

That was the default user code not the installer code, my guess is it will soon show a fail to communicate

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Just use it as a local system. Anytime you have an alarm, just remember that the damn thing will dial and dial for a while....then....wait 12 hours and start beeping (6 beeps per min).

Solution: After you have an alarm AND you are being harassed with beeping, press your code + off , you code +9 , wait 3 seconds, your code

+1 to end the nightmare for this time.

Or something like that. It's even possible that the original owner gracefully exited his account with ADT (doubtful) and they took out the CS #.

It's also possible that the panel checks in periodically with the CS. This also, will cause "The beeps of ear pain". Look for a Commander 2000 on Ebay or buy one from Jimenbass or Bassinex or whoever.

The commander 2000 is easy to program (it talks to you!), is a fairly solid panel feature wise (x-10), however it reeks of "Fisher Price - My First Alarm Panel".

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be called out by people with "ADT says dialing in without an account is harassment!" or some other nonsense. If you decide to live the nightmare with the original panel, unplug the RJ31X.

TMc

Reply to
Karl Magnus

I would also suggest you disconnect the telephone plug located at the alarm panel. If the system shows "fail to communicate" after a few days (or hours), that's clear proof it's still trying to dial the ADT central. You may want to call them and have them program the panel as a "local" but check your purchase agreement first to ensure the alarm system is included.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I think ADT only tests once a month.

| > As far as X-10 lamp modules or additional sensors are concerned, are | > they considered "DIY"? | >

| > Thanks again, | > Eddie | >

| | | I would also suggest you disconnect the telephone plug located at the | alarm panel. If the system shows "fail to communicate" after a few days | (or hours), that's clear proof it's still trying to dial the ADT | central. You may want to call them and have them program the panel as a | "local" but check your purchase agreement first to ensure the alarm | system is included.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.