Cisco 1200: IOS Update over Wireless

Dear forum comunity, I need to update the IOS image on my Cisco 1200 series Access Point from 12.2.(13)JA to 12.3.(7)JA. Seems like everything described in the manual is clear. Just I have one issue that I am afraid of: The point is my access point is installed somewhere high on a building and physical access to it is somehow limited and complicated. That is, physical access to the access point can be achieved by calling special personell to climb the building. This is not the most desirable situation for me if the Access point fails to work after the IOS upgrade. Now my questions are:

1. Is it possible to do the update over Wireless connection? I will try to upgrade through CLI interface using TFTP, and have the /safe flag enabled.
  2. Does settings such as IP address, SSID, Radio Channel, Radio Power changed after the update and reload?
  3. In short, how you believe, is it possible to update the IOS over wireless connection without a trouble?

Thanks for your comments.

Kind Regards, Hohenzolern

Reply to
Hohenzolern
Loading thread data ...

Hohenzolern,

Yes, you can upgrade the AP via the wireless connection, but it's rather risky. I don't think you can use /safe to upgrade from 12.2(13)JA to

12.3(7)JA, as I don't think the 8MB of flash will be enough to hold both versions of code simultaneously. So I think you'll need to use archive download /overwrite ... this will let you TFTP the new code ... the risk is if the AP should reload after it's deleted the old image but before it's copied in the new image.

Btw, when you do upgrade, I strongly recommend that you do not use

12.3(7)JA ... that version had more than its share of bugs. 12.3(7)JA3 is good and stable.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard
12.3.8 is best.

regd. Martin

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Martin Bilgrav schrieb:

12.3(8)JA2 is even better, nonetheless 12.3(7)JA3 works very reliable and proven stable, as long as you do not type "sh cdp entry *" on the CLI ;-)

Telnetting from the wireless side is not sooo risky, but keeping the TFTP server on the wired LAN is better. Don't try to upgrade through the Web interface.

The problem with upgrading through wireless connection could be: the definition of SSID syntax changed with IOS 12.3. I know that IOS

12.3(2)JAx understands both the old and new syntax. I don't know if 12.3(7)JAx or 12.3(8)JAx still are prepared for this transition.
Reply to
Uli Link

~ Martin Bilgrav schrieb: ~ ~ > 12.3.8 is best. ~ ~ 12.3(8)JA2 is even better, nonetheless 12.3(7)JA3 works very reliable ~ and proven stable, as long as you do not type "sh cdp entry *" on the ~ CLI ;-)

Good to hear that you like 8JA2 ... I mentioned 7JA3 because it has more "soak time", but if our latest is also our greatest, that's a good thing.

~ Telnetting from the wireless side is not sooo risky, but keeping the ~ TFTP server on the wired LAN is better. Don't try to upgrade through the ~ Web interface.

~ The problem with upgrading through wireless connection could be: ~ the definition of SSID syntax changed with IOS 12.3. I know that IOS ~ 12.3(2)JAx understands both the old and new syntax. I don't know if ~ 12.3(7)JAx or 12.3(8)JAx still are prepared for this transition.

I just now tested with 8JA2, and it still understands the old SSID syntax under the Dot11Radio interface, and converts it to the new global "dot11 ssid" syntax.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

My favourite new 12.3(8)JA feature is the improved "sh dot11 ass all". It now shows the SNR. Nice. After 2 weeks 1 day uptime in lab without problems I'm confident enough for recommending it for smaller production environments, keeping in mind that the 12.3(8)JA also worked stable.

Good to know.

Reply to
Uli Link

Thank you guys for all your posts and recommendations. Appreciated! Just wanted to give an update of why I decided to upgrade the IOS. I want to upgrade it with the hope of avoiding this annoying message and frequent disconnections-reassociations:

"Packet to client xxxx.xxxx.xxxx reached max retries, removing the client"

Here is another forum topic posted by me which never got replies:

formatting link
I tried to google around... found some foreign language (Polish) posts, hardly could figure out some people had alike problem and were able to resolve it by updating the IOS. Thanks again for your posts!

Regards, Hohenzolern

Reply to
Hohenzolern

I had a case open to Cisco on this message well over a year ago. they said that is just he way it is.

formatting link

Reply to
BG

my bad I there certainly are "new features in 8JA*

formatting link
>

Reply to
BG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.