Napco Quickloader with GEM-RS232 Not Working

I can't get the Quickloder software to see the panel. I have never used Quickloader under Vista. Does anyone know if it works under Vista? Any advice?

When I try to download from the panel it says "timeout". GEM-RS232 is connected via CAT5 and the supplied DB9 connectors to COM1 on my computer. I have a PCI modem as COM3.

Thanks! John

Reply to
John R
Loading thread data ...

You have only one option. Run in Windows XP Compatibility Mode. That should work. I have one computer we use as a "downloading centre". It's running Windows 98SE (don't laugh). It's a little workhorse and has never failed us. I have a couple of computers running Windows XP as a backup (should the horse "kick the bucket"), but so far we haven't had a single hiccup. Some of the more esoteric panels (we don't have many) have software that's only compatible with the old MSDOS systems.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks for your reply. It didn't work. I tried XP mode, 2000 mode, and

98 mode.

What gives?

Any more advice? I'll try anything. This is really frustrating. I've got to be doing something stupid.

John

Reply to
John R

Check the COM port settings. Out of the box setting won't work.

1. Open Device Manager: Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

Click "ports" > select "COM1" > "Port Settings tab" > "Advanced" >

Uncheck "Use FIFO buffer"

If that does not work.............

The next step would be to change the serial port number. COM1 & COM3 can conflict with other, just like COM2 & COM4 do. The serial port COM can be set in the advanced settings.

Click "ports" > select "COM1" > "Port Settings tab" > "Advanced" > (COM selector is on the bottom of the dialog box)

Reply to
G. Morgan

John wrote: "GEM-RS232 is connected via CAT5 ..."

The cable provided to me by Napco for both the PCI-Mini and GEM-RS232 is/was a six-conductor satin cable wired straight through (Pin1 to Pin 1 Pin2 to Pin

2 etc) -- not CAT5. If you substituted, are you sure it is straight through?

Is there a cable between the serial port on your computer and the GEM-RS232?

If so, it too needs to be straight through (not with TX-RX crossed).

If not, it is unclear to me what you mean by "supplied DB9 connectors"> The DB9 on the GEM is what connects to the PC, not the six-conductor ribbon.

Is the serial port native COM1 RS-232 (i.e., not USB->RS-232 converter)?

In either case, does it show up as working in Device Manager?

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

The system will not work over CAT5. The GEM-RS232 only works with the supplied 6-conductor cable. If you need a longer connection, add a serial cable on the PC side.

BTW, if you were to use a CAT5 cable with one of the older modules, such as a PCI-MINI, the system would release the pre-packaged blue smoke. With the GEM-RS232 the only thing it will do is not communicate.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

rote

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate everyone's efforts to help me.

Normally I have the GEM-RS232 connected to my Linux computer. I have software that I wrote that monitors the panel. This works perfectly and has so for many years.

I moved the cable to my Windows PC so I can run QuickLoader to update the programming of the panel. I suspect the problem is not the cable, but the way I set up Quickloader. I entered the alarm master code as well as the alarm download code. I'm wondering if there is something else that I missed.

I don't program alarm panels every day so I must have forgotten some critical step in the configuration process.

I really really do appreciate your suggestions.

John

Reply to
John R

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.