Tying in GEM-X10 into Napco Gemini 816 Alarm System Controller

I have recently had Slomins security (a central station alarm management company) install an alarm system in my house. They used a Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller. I'm trying to tie this into a home automation system I am starting to build. I see there is an X10 integration module I can purchase (GEM-X10). I will be installing 3- way Switchlinc dimmer switches (2494m3) for my lights, which support both the Switchlinc protocol and X10 protocol.

The following are some reference links for the products mentioned above:

Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller:

formatting link
X10 integration module:
formatting link
Switchlinc dimmer switches:
formatting link
I have all the installation and configuration docs in PDF format which I can send to anyone interested.

What I want to do initially is have an event from the Napco Gemini 816 (e.g. Alarm triggered) to send an X10 command to all dimmer switches to turn all of the lights connected through these dimmer switches.

Before I purchase all of this equipment, I have a few questions:

1) Do I need to reconfigure the Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller for the X10 module? Do I need an "installers password" which would have been installed by Slomins?

2) Is there anything I am missing or is this a pretty straightforward thing to set up?

3) Any "gotchas" I need to worry about?

Thanks!

Reply to
yeahprolly
Loading thread data ...

GEM X10 doesn't work with GEM 816

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
secure15

Sir,

The P816 does not support the GEM-X10 module. You'll need either a P1632, P3200 or P9600 control panel to do X10. Also, if you want to do more than very basic (lights on alarm, for example) automation, the preferred panel is the P9600.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

man they stuck you with the elcheapo panel huh?

Reply to
AlarmCoJoe

They probably forced him into buying the cheapest eh?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It does with the GEM P816 revision 10, up to 8 devices

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If that were the case they'd have installed an XP-400

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Controller:

formatting link

module:

formatting link

Well, first off, I'm sorry to hear that you let Slomin's anywhere near your house but you're in it for the duration now. I still haven't figured out why people actually think that they're getting a good designed system from a cookie cutter alarm company. Fortunately they're no longer using proprietary equipment and they've cut down on the length of their contracts, so you may eventually be able to get someone in when your contract is up, who isn't only in the alarm contract business. But anyway, I digress.

I don't use the smaller Napco panels, so I can't tell you if the 816 is compatable with their X10 module. However, whether it is or not you don't have to use it to accomplish what you're trying to do and you can save some money in the mean time. There's draw backs using either device.

Instead of the X10 interface, get yourself a X10 Power Flash module. ( also available at Smarthome) Set the house code for the Power Flash module the same as the X10 house code of the Switchlinc switches. The Power Flash module input terminals can be hooked to the bell output terminals of your 816.

You have three options on the Power Flash module on how you want your lights to come on. But usually the option to flash all the switches set to the same house code is used in conjunction with an alarm system output. That doesn't mean you have to program all your light switces to the same exact code. (Or you may want to). Lets say you set the house code of the Power Flash module to "B". Now if you're using the house code "L" and unit codes 1 through 5 for one section of your house ...... and House code "B", and unit codes 3 through 8 for another section of your house .... When your alarm panel applies 12VDC to the Power Flash module input terminals, only the light switches programed to the "B" house code are going to flash, during an alarm. So if don't have more than 16 switches and can keep them all programed to the same house code, you'll get them all to flash.

I haven't used the Napco X10 module for quite sometime but I don't think it will do this. If I remember right, you have to program all the switches you want to come on, to both the same house code and unit code, which eliminates them from being able to be controled individually for other lighting control. Of course the advantage of using the Napco X10 module ( if it *is* compatable with the 816) is that you can cause things to happen to different X10 devices, determined by different conditions that occur at the alarm panel. You may want to use both modules and have the best of both worlds.

There's more to it, but that should get you started.

Reply to
Jim

Yah who needs more than 4 zones anyway?

I just bid against some idiot company, they bid this monster house with a 6 zone panel. The house has 35 opening wnds, 9 doors, 1 waterflow, one smk zn,...blah blah blah. I figured a min. of 40 zones just in the main house, not to mention the RV garage and guest house. Sheesh that was an easy close for me.

Some companies just don't have a clue.

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I wasn't sure so I asked Napco tech support. They said it wouldn't work. You do need the installer's code to change the program though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, if you upgrade to the P3200 or P9600 you'd still need the GEM-X10 kit for Napco to control X10 devices directly.

Yes.

The port on the Napco board is for use with their PCI-MINI or PCI-MINI-USB dongles. Either of those will connect the panel to a PC or laptop. The PCI-MINI is for programming and testing the panel, as well as reading the log. It is not designed for use an automation device. A similar, but more advanced version called a GEM-RS232 Kit is available for connecting the P3200 or P9600 to a PC or other HA device.

Several years ago Napco decided to limit home automation functionality to the P9600 panel. They recently decided to make it available on the P3200 again as well. There is no support for HA functionality on the smaller Napco Gemini panels.

Those are standard functions of the panel. Using the PCI-MINI you can do all of that as well as operate the panel.

It does, though you might be able to write an app to do some of the manual stuff for you. That would require programming skills.

You can but any connection at all will require knowledge of the dealer code. The default is 456789 IIRC. Slomins may have changed it though. If worse comes to worst, you could just replace the board. They're not expensive.

My pleasure.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That goes against what is found in the latest revision of the 816 installation manual

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I didn't check the manual. I needed to contact Napco about something else so I asked. They said it won't work. I haven't tried it. If you have one, try it yourself and let us know how it works.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Okay, you send me the 816 and X-10 module and I'll give it a whirl

Reply to
Mark Leuck

So tell us Marky-Mark, Do you believe EVERYTHING you read?

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
secure15

So you don't know either?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I merely stated that the instructions for the P816 v10 mention that it is compatible with the X-10 module

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Installation manuals do tend to be reasonably accurate and as of yet nobody has shown that it will not work (yet)

The original poster may not have the most up to date revision

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yes, and I merely stated that Napco tech support said it won't. Apparently you've not tried it. Neither have I.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Napco has made a few changes to several of their panels recently. I didn't ask the TS guy if this was something new or old. I have no need to call them for now. If you have time you might check for yourself.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.