Cellular connectivity question

I have a question concerning GSM cellular connectivity for my security system. The system I have (DSC 832) is installed in a vacation home far from any landlines. Since I have no landlines I am currently relying on just the siren to repel intruders. I have seen complete systems on EBay that seem to accomplish what I would like to do but they look really cheap and nasty and I'd really like to keep my current system in place.

I would also like it to utilize pre-paid SIM cards so I can self monitor and have it call me as well as the neighbor of my cabin. Is there such an animal out there that fits my needs?

TIA,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Paris
Loading thread data ...

Umm no

Reply to
Mark Leuck

What an unusual inquiry. You want to...self...monitor? How will that work, exactly?

Reply to
alarman

Not actual monitoring, I would just like the system to call me and my neighbor. Through caller ID I and he would know my system activated.

This is one of the systems on Ebay that seems to do everything I am looking for but I'd rather just add the cellular functionality to the system I already have-

formatting link

Reply to
Jon Paris

the test signals will be fun too! gee someone keeps breaking into my cabin every saturday morning.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I see. And then what?

Reply to
alarman

Why do people always go for the junk...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Let us not forget the perpetual com fail troube. Loads-o-fun.

Reply to
alarman

Like the little birdies say, cheep-cheep.

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Russell Brill

They want to keep you employed.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There could be several reasons. Maybe the gentleman knows how useless monitoring is in a rural location. Perhaps he's already done business with Monitronics or you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You musta had bad news about your PET scan. Metastasized, has it?

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm not looking for junk, I only posted that item because it has the features I am looking for. I would much rather add these capabilities to the system I have.

Reply to
Jon Paris

still burned up about Graham getting 1/2 of your business shut down, I see.

Reply to
Joe

Dream on. My business is actually up 80% over last year. Ask your rep at a certain distributor that Jim Rojas hates.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

so the half that's left is up, while the half that got SHUT DOWN is down to 0. And that's the best half too, the recurring revenue half. sounds like your treading water. no wonder you're so bitter. too bad for u. :(

Reply to
Joe

Who is it you're trying to convince with that bullshit?

The "recurring revenue" side never amounted to a hill of beans. In case you haven't noticed, I cater to DIYers and they rarely want monitoring. In fact, many people choose to install their own systems precisely because they don't want monitoring. Collecting on the few accounts we had was more trouble than it was worth so I finally stopped offering it. I canceled the last remaining accounts a couple of months ago.

As to Cracker having anything to do with my business, you guessed wrong again. He didn't even try to affect my business, let alone succeed. His sole purpose in hanging around ASA is to try to make a friend. So far he's batting zero. Only his dozens of aliases enjoy his company.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's not what you've been saying for the last four years. You kept claiming I went "real life" when it was only you who did so.

I'll have to save this post for posterity.

Bass Ball Buster Buffoon for google

Reply to
G. Morgan

Most of (all that I know of - there may be others) the cellular back up units work through a monitoring center.

Upon receiving a fire alarm, the monitoring center, after notifying the fire department (even if they cannot save the cabin - depending on how far from civilization you are, they can mitigate the damage to the surrounding forest - or even your neighbor's cabin) will start calling the contacts listed on the call list UNTIL THEY MAKE CONTACT WITH A HUMAN BEING.

In the event of a burglary alarm they will (at least ours does) make one or two attempts to verify the alarm (less than 1 minute in almost all cases) and then will dispatch your local sheriff who may not get there in time to apprehend the crook - depending on how far out you are - but he will arrive in time to prevent weather and/or critters from causing more damage or destroying evidence. Again, the monitoring center will then start down your contact list until they make positive contact with a human being.

If you use the cabin during cold weather or use a heating source on cool nights in warmer weather you should also have a carbon monoxide detector which will have your monitoring center sending out the fire department and paramedics as well as calling down the contact list.

Life-safety devices IMHO are even more important in remote locations such as yours.

If you are determined to do as you have outlined there are several solutions that will merge a cellular phone with a household landline type connections. utilizing one of these products you can dock a prepaid cell phone (some will also function as a charger) and then wire in your alarm panel as if it were a regular land line.

That being said, you have gone to the trouble of installing an alarm panel to protect your property, why wouldn't you take the final step?

Many insurance companies will offer a discount for a professionally monitored alarm system but are much less impressed with self monitored systems - there is a reason for this.

If your system does not include life-safety devices I strongly recommend that you add them - even if it a local alarm only. They could make all the difference between a happy family vacation, and a tragic one.

Good Luck

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.