Cellular Radio.

Both Verizon and ATT provide Cellular "Boosters" for customer who use their cellular service but can't get a good signal in their home. I'm thinking t hat they are just providing a connection between the customers cell phone a nd the LAN to obtain VoIP telephone service. But I'm thinking it may be som ething more than that because I think if you turn off the WiFi on your cell phone you can still get on the Internet. Does anyone know if a Cellular alarm radio can use this "Booster" to transm it signals to central station?

Reply to
Jim Davis
Loading thread data ...

Hi Jim,

From all the customers that I have come across that do use those devices, i t appears that they are just routing your calls thru the internet and in es sence, somewhat like a VoIP line.

The devices used to be freely given to customers who were access challenged . Now, they are charging customers close to $200 for the device. The custom ers went from being 'access challenged' to 'squeezed victims'. Usually, the cellular company is the only one in the area, and knows that they have a m onopoly. Therefore, they can charge and know that most customers will end u p paying.

Unlike a VoIP device that allows you to call anyone from any internet conne ction in the country, the booster device has to be tagged to your cellular service account. Therefore, trying to use a booster for an alarm cellular r adio would not be unabled for that commercial unit. It is somewhat related to how your cellphone works. All cellular radios for consumers use access p oint names, which route your calls, text, and pictures in different ways th ru the internet. I learned about 4 years ago to have different access point names/parameters in my cellphone. Depending on what area I may be in, I ca n quickly switch my access point name and get better service for my cellpho ne calls. It does take time to know what works where, thru trial and error. I have been with GSM phones for quite a while now, and this is what works best for me. Since I am using Sim Cards in my phones, I would not know if t his would work on the CDMA systems.

Cell phone connections thru the towers can be routed any which way they wan t. It is all internet connections, whether thru wires or tower waves. In em ergencies, they have the ability to route calls from one area to any other area. The towers throughout the USA are basically electrical connection 'wi res' that can be made to connect to any other connection. Picture the old s witchboard operators who used to pull one wire out and connect it to anothe r jack to make a phone connection.

Earlier in the year, we did have a customer who had sporadic telco service way up on a mountain. The Lodge was for the residents of the area, and the homeowners association had an ATT commercial modem, basically creating an i nternet connection in a special cellular box with about 20' of cable length and antenna at the end. That unit put out an internet connection that was then hooked up to a router. The router put out wifi for the guests as well as wired ports. One port was then hooked up to an Ip card for the security system to communicate with.

It was a clean and ideal connection with little cost to the customer. In es sence, it was a cellular radio allowing any internet connection to it. We use both ATT and Verizon radios for alarm system connections depending o n which service is better or preferable.

Perhaps others have more relevant information to come.

Have a great day.

Reply to
E D

widely used item in our area for alarm cellular xmiters without an external antenna..

formatting link

item comes in several versions so if interested be sure and check the version to cover you.

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.

Reply to
RTS

On 11/30/2017 10:03 PM, Jim Davis wrote: > Both Verizon and ATT provide Cellular "Boosters" for customer who use their cellular service but can't get a good signal in their home. I'm thinking that they are just providing a connection between the customers cell phone and the LAN to obtain VoIP telephone service. But I'm thinking it may be something more than that because I think if you turn off the WiFi on your cell phone you can still get on the Internet. > Does anyone know if a Cellular alarm radio can use this "Booster" to transmit signals to central station? >

Actual cellular boosters are available. I have one on my shop so I don't have to go outside to make and receive calls. My cell actually works better inside (before the booster) if I turned wiFi VOIP redundancy off on my phone. Doesn't seem to be an option with my new phone. I also have a VOIP phone ap installed on my phone so I can use my MagicJack account from my phone anywhere in the shop if I want to. Not that I have an issue with air time. The Magic Jack number is just the phone number I use for CNC Molds N Stuff.

For your cellular alarm communicator you can get sims for different carriers depending on the vendor. Sometimes you may need to order a different unit if CDMA is best (Verizon usually). Use which ever has the best signal strength in the area, (Out west its almost always Verizon) and then the next step is to install a high gain antenna in a nonvisible (from the ground) outdoor antenna on your cellular communicator. Sometimes using the high gain antenna was enough even indoors. Heck sometimes even in the attic is great. I've even installed directional beam VHF antennas in attics with good results too.

That being said the other vendors have all been improving their coverage. (Except maybe AT&T) They can't compete on price if they can't cover the clients needs.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah I can get cellular radios for various carriers but there's hardly any signal at all in the area. The electrician has and Android with ATT and no signal at all. I have Verizon Iphone and I was able to get text message bu t calls were spotty. Had to go outside to stay connected. So obviously ther e's some signal there. But the alarm panel is on the first floor in a close t in the middle of the house (this is a takeover ) and this house was built by the owner who is in the transit mix cement and mason business. It's lik e a stone fortress. Getting to the out side or to the second floor or attic with a wire, is probably not going to happen. The floor between the first floor and basement is made of concrete with radiant heating.

Customer wants remote control of alarm system and I've been using cellular (Napco Starlink) to do that.

I was pretty sure the "Boosters" that the phone companies provided where ju st converting phone calls to VoIP via the LAN but wanted to be sure.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Rocky, This looks interesting. Their web site specifically says it can be used with alarm systems.

I'll have to give them a call to get the details

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Davis

There are two types of "booster." One type uses two boxes. One placed where there is a signal available, the other inside where there is no signal currently. Think of this as a repeater type.

The other is a pico cell tower that plugs into a broadband connection and connects to the cellco through the internet.

Both have their uses, just depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Jim,

we use the Napco system your referencing..

to route old work wiring, I tend to look for sewer pipe venting ( the vertical run to attic)

then from attic locate the pipe and attempt a string drop (fishing weight on string)

some time a heater venting vertical run can also provide a wire pull chamber.

All else fail surface a wire run in conduit to the attic.

point is you want the cell unit or booster as high in the building as possible..

a directional antenna will also help..

The biggest problem we've had here in Kentucky USA

is not all cell towers support the "EBridge" service needed to make the

2-way

feature work..

And that can be a real "Bitch" after spending several hours running wire..  ;-)

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.

Reply to
RTS

Hi Rocky,

Yeah .... the "ol vent pipe trick " doesn't work on the newer homes nowdays . with the advent of using PVC for venting, they run the vent pipe all over t he place with bends and elbows. Never a straight run anymore. Same goes for HVAC. Much of that is flex tubing. The returns are the best option but aga in, with the newer homes using the "open" living spaces, there are hardly a ny walls over walls or closets over closets. And, as I said, in this house every thing is over built with a first floor with radiant heat, made of cem ent over the basement.

Metal pipe would have to be done outside, ( I don't do metal pipe) so I'd h ave to get an electrician and the house is made of cement and field stone.

Haven't had any problems with the Starlink when cellular signal is availabl e. I'm on Long Island NY ..... highly populated compared to you so I've fig uring the cellular service is probably more robust here.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Yes, Rocky recommended this

formatting link

which I'll be contacting them on Monday.

I'm hoping that if I get one of these that I can get a wire between the attic and somewhere near the first floor.

We'll see.

Reply to
Jim Davis

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 3:13:45 PM UTC-5, Jim Davis wrote:

ttic and somewhere near the first floor.

So OK Found out that there are DIY boosters and professional Boosters. Wilson seems to be the name that comes up more often as being the better pr oduct. Obviously a little more expensive.

For those not familiar with how it works .... there's an outside antenna co nnected to an inside booster module and then an inside antenna. The outside antenna most recommended is a directional. They are higher gain and since most cellular service providers usually transmit from the same tower or are a a directional will usually pick up any provider. You can split the output of the booster to more than one inside antenna but it is advisable to keep the total length of coax to less than 100 feet. The ideal way to find the proper place for the external antenna is that it usually should be high up on the building. To find the right spot ..... get out your extension ladder and your Android phone and check the signal strength at various mounting l ocations around the building. As a guide, they say that two bars on a stand ard cell phone out side the building may or may not be strong enough to be able to be boosted. So two bars or better seems to be the goal. If you have an android cell phone there is an app that will allow you to de termine how good a signal you are getting outside of the house. go to Play Store and download "Open Signal" or " Signal Check ". IPhone doesn't have a n app to check signal. The lower the input signal is the lower the output signal will be so it's w orth trying to find the best spot to locate the outside antenna. Directiona l antennas are harder to install too. Systems are purchased based on the s quare footage of the area you want to cover inside the building. They range in price accordingly.

WillsonAmplifiers.com is the distributor for Wilson products. Don't be misl ed by some of the cheaper items you may see on line.

That should be enough to get you going. You'll have to do the nitty gritty research.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.