Wireless - Simon 3 or Visonic Powermax Plus

Any alarm system that have a built in sirene and the dialer/keypad in the same box is a toy..

"Bob" a écrit dans le message de news: EpABe.3485$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
petem
Loading thread data ...

an alarm panel should have a section(the main board) in a place not easily accessible, a remote keypad and a sirene that is as far as it can be from the main panel

from there if you go wireless take an hybrid system like the dsc,ademco or napco..not all model do it but just take a look at there web site to know wich one can do it..

one thing i noticed when i was installing wireles system is that many zone could have been hardwired and just some zone needed wireless..

thats what i have here at home...almost all zone are wired in exept 3 wireless..( i ahve a power 8/32 with 16 zone and a wireless receiver..)i use

13 zone hardwire....My sirene is in the attic,my main panel somewhere in the basement,in a closet wich have a big sofa in front of it..(consealed closet)

that way no badboy will follow the sound of the sirene to my panel cause they are not close together... and the closet door is protected so whe the panel is armed it will trigger a signal very fast... and i have internet monitoring of my panel so if they blow the panel or cut the phoneline (and cable connection) there is an off line at the central and the cops are sent if no response...( i know they called my home3 night ago when videotron made some repair at 3 oclock..;-( )

with this i feel in security.. A simon is only good to place in a hotel room or such thing..

"Bob" a écrit dans le message de news: GiCBe.3517$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
petem

Well, even though the Simon is evil, it's a solid panel. You can (in programming) disable the built-in siren. Then use either wireless sirens, or just hard-wire one back to the Simon.

So, then you can "hide" the Simon. It is no longer "A Toy" at this point.

Good luck,

KM

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Anyone have a preference on these, and why. Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Sir, the "all in one" alarms" were designed for several applications. One was for a simple, easy to install and usually temporary installation for external buildings, small trailers or simple applications where running wires would not be easy or cost effective in time. The second was for the "mass marketers" who generally throw in the easiest, simplest system they can simply to get your name on a long term contract. They usually could care less about the coverage. Unfortunately, in the rush for RMR (recurring monthly revenue), many less than forthright companies are "shoehorning" these minimalistic systems in applications where they should never be used.

This is not to say the equipment is bad. Not so; most of it is quite good technically speaking. However, it's the application of that equipment that is lacking. Go with a full coverage, proper hardwired system, using wireless only for those contact points where you genuinely can't get a wire to. Such a system will serve you better, more reliably, for a longer time, and is MUCH better value for your money.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

You're making too much sense. Knock it off! :^)

True. Depending on the skill level of the technician or DIYer, the same job might wind up completely hard-wired, totally wireless or anywhere in between. By selecting a hybrid (wired + wireless capable) system you leave your options open.

When I worked in Connecticut I preferred to install the master control panel in the basement. In Florida there are almost no basements so people often install the panel in a laundry or utility room. Some techs put them in the garage but that's not a good idea -- too easy to defeat.

Older homes in New England often had over-sized louvers at each end of the attic. We used to install a big, 40-Watt horn just inside and facing toward the louver. The sound could be heard for several blocks but the speaker was concealed from view. If that wasn't doable I'd place the horn on the outside wall just below the peak of the roof.

Here's a trick you can use for the interior siren if the home has aluminum HVAC ducts. Mount a 40-Watt horn face-down, directly to the top of the cold air return plenum. Don't cut any holes in the plenum though. Either silicone or screw the face of the horn to the plenum. The sound will reverberate throughout even a fairly large home.

Note: ***NEVER*** place the siren or any alarm system wiring inside the ducts. That's a major no-no.

Place it on top of the hotel door frame. Attach a string to the knob. When the thief breaks in the Simon will nail him. :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

it still need to on the main floor cause its the wireless receiver..

so you need to have it pretty close..

and even when the sirens is disable on it..the keypads still emit the entry delay...

just follow the buzzer!

"Karl Magnus" a écrit dans le message de news: JkDBe.29036$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
petem

It doesn't sound to me like you know much about the Simon

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Hi bob!

I could also add to this list the alternative of Paradox Magellan, the new Bosch Easy-Line and the Electronics-line panels. They are in the same catagory. Each and every one of them have their ups and downs.

I would recommend that you not choose the panel yourself but rather choose a panel in reliance with your customers request. They are all good panels and differ in functionality.

Good luck.

Reply to
Okitoki

The ITI/GE Concord Express is an Excellent panel... Comes with 6 hardwired zones & a 16 zone wireless receiver..........

Reply to
Russell Brill

i serviced many of those toy

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
petem

If thats true then you would have known it doesn't emit a continuous buzzer during the entry delay

Reply to
Mark Leuck

??? -- Don't FBI statistics show that MOST residential burglary/robbery suspects enter through the front door? The second favorite entry was, if I'm not mistaken, the back sliding glass door.

Now, if this is true, how does the panel being located in the garage make it "too easy to defeat" in comparison to the laundry room/pantry? It seems that the laundry room/pantry is just as accessible.

This "too easy to defeat" paranoia is coming from people who think about alarm installation too much without actually doing it.

;a)

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Robert L. Bass Jul 14, 10:39 pm show options

the thief breaks in the Simon will nail him. :^)<

Reply to
no wires showing

I've seen the aftermath of maybe 100 break-ins and in all but one instance they came in through the front or back door, the one time they came through a window it appears they did that just to open the back door

Biggest problem with the garage is it's not temperature controlled and in a lot of cases it is outside of the protected area

A little paranoia in my opinion isn't a bad thing, I'd rather overthink an installation than not

Reply to
Mark Leuck

one triple beep

Reply to
Mark Leuck

not a continuous one bit its still buzz

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: De-dnQ2k54 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
petem

Hello all. I didn't think I would start a firestorm, but I think this is great. for myself and others. I want to install a wireless system, as I want to own the system, and be able to move the system if I move. The monitoring for the Visonic Powermax Plus, is $9.00 per month, nationwide. The Powermax Plus is coming out with a module later in the fall that will be a dialer even if the phone line is cut. I am looking at the prospect, that if I am away from the house and the phone lines are cut, a call will still be made to the monitoring station. For my house, the total system would be around $650.00 covering 11 windows,

3 doors, a fire alarm and 1 motion detector for the front room. Also, I can buy a House link motion detector, that can be placed within a vehicle parked in the driveway, that sends a signal to a separate box in the house, that can alarm up to 4 vehicles, or other items outside.
Reply to
Bob

I installed an Ademco 20PS with a 6270 in the main living area and a

6160 in the loft. I did the install about a year and half ago with roughly 30 wireless zones and a handful of wired zones. Through asking a few questions here and making sense of the manuals, the install went quite smoothly. The system has been very robust to date with not a single false alarm, and the batteries are all still going strong. I'm very happy with the system.

FWIW

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.