Camera Systems Question

A customer (and extended family member) and her neighbor are in a feud of sorts. Her neighbor had installed a high end multi camera set up worthy of a large jewelry store and pointed them at her neighbors homes.The neighbors, including my customer is freaking out. I know the guy who did the job (expensive but does great work) and I spoke to him to get an idea of the specs of the equipment. High end, low light capable, fully controllable from any computer in the house.

A quick perusal of the local law says that the system is legal. No audio recording is being done, and its exterior only, though bedroom and bathroom windows are in the field of regard.

Anybody had to deal with this kind of problem before from either side? My first response was to refer them to 3 Day Blinds which was not well received, and I can kind of see why. There are clear options to defeat the cameras ranging from lasers/RF jamming, hacking the network, going down to pellet rifles. I've prepared bids for their own systems, but really don't think that is a solution either. One neighbor has already gone with all night floods and the police are getting tired of responding to complaints from both sides.

It would be mostly funny if the customer was not my sister-in-law. Anyone with any ideas or war stories about things like this?

Alarm Pro (who also does video)

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
AlarmPro
Loading thread data ...

Change your phone number

Doug

Reply to
vssdoug

who did the job

Just set up large spot lights and infra red illuminators. The largest you can afford and aim them at the cameras.

You could also go on the Internet and find pictures of obese naked people and make large posters of them and put them on that side of the house.

Reply to
Jim

In addition to what Jim says...plant some trees.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

what are they doing that they don't want people to know about?

Reply to
Bob

selling Russian brides

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Are they ptz cams, or standard fixed lens cams?

If they are not ptz then its unlikely they will be zoomed in permanantly on someones window. After all, they would have been put there to see who is outside the owners property, and just because a nearby house may be in the field of view does not mean they can make any real detail out, the window is probably just a handful of pixels on their screen.

Unless they have really nice megapixel cctv, or they are ptz...

Its free security, a free deterent for the neighbourhood, people should be grateful not complaining....

Reply to
Ken

High end PTZ dome cameras, quite capable of looking in the neighbors windows. Fully controllable for direction and zoom. Installer told me he suggested masking to keep the neighbors happy and the client refused.

It is really a trust issue, and there have been prior episodes between the neighbors, though not my sister in law. The crime rate is low there, and there have been no incidents. Camera lady also does not have a security system.

Reply to
Steve

Does sound dodgy, especially turning down the masking (unless the installer wanted add extra kit to charge an arm and a leg for it, but a good installer should have thought about the privact issue and recomended a high end system that allows masking, which many do as standard)

If the masking was available as standard, and they declined it, then I would be knocking on her door to ask why they turned down masking, why specifically they want to be able to look in my window.

Reply to
Ken

nstaller told me he

What would that gain you be more animosity.

Letting them know that it's a problem, from the sounds of the neighbors attitude, would probably make them be a little more aggressive. I'd first prepare for the battle before confronting them.

Reply to
Jim

And they will be knocking on the installer's door asking why he is sharing the details of their security system.

Reply to
alarman

Hey Sableman, here's a case for you.

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.