cellular home security system questions

Hi All,

I am in the research phase for a security system for a home I just purchased.

Here are my concerns (maybe you can alleviate them?)

-Worried that phone line can be cut on traditional system

-Worried that any motion detector/etc that is wireless can be "jammed"/"tricked"

With these concerns in mind, I am thinking about:

Laptop with an 8hour lithium battery (but it will be plugged in) T-Mobile cellular internet connection (I have verizon wireless internet for my work but it's pricey at $80/mo) NextAlarm.com's ABN Broadband Adaptor Some sort of home security system.. any suggestions? 2story house,plenty of windows/doors (wired -unless there is no worry about wireless vulnerabilities???)

Questions..

1) how will the ABN adapter plug into my laptop? 2) T-Mobile ceulluar internet runs at about 5-9KB/sec tops.. will this be fast enough?? 3) How does the entire connection stream work: central alarm unit ->

abn adapter -> (usb?) laptop -> t-mobile -> nextalarm.com

4) How hard is it to do the wired vrs wireless security yourself? I would think like ten times harder at least?

Thanks for your time,

Kyle

ps- what do you think about "flex-o-glass" film to apply over the windows?

formatting link

Reply to
kyle
Loading thread data ...

That's true. You'll need a dedicated cellular backup designed for transmitting alarm signals. Your Rube Goldberg idea with the laptop and T-Mobile although clever, won't work.

Don't worry about that. Although technically possible, 99% of alarm technicians can't even do that. There are certain features of some wireless products that incorporate anti-jam (if activated). Also, some motion detectors have an anti-masking feature.

Reply to
G. Morgan

THanks G.Morgan for your input!

You have eased my worries about the wireless motion detectors/units -- could you perhaps steer me in a direction of these "anti-jam" products? Will the GE Simon 3 incorporate this?

ALso, can you kindly explain why the laptop and T-Mobile idea will not work? NextAlarm.com, if I purchase their GE Simon unit along with the ABN Broadband adapter it seems like it should work?

G. Morgan wrote:

Reply to
kyle

I don't install GE stuff, so I can't help you there. Ademco 5800 series wireless with newer panels have an anti-jam feature that can be enabled in programming. I personally do not enable it because it causes more service calls.

The panel in native mode needs a dial tone, plus the tones a communicator uses are not reproducible in a digital ad-hoc system you propose.

That will work. Because it's VOIP and tested with their equipment. Keep in mind, if you have digital phone- when the power is out it will not work.

You should go with a true cell backup unit for optimum redundancy. Something like:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link

Reply to
accidental plumber

Cell phones can very easily be jammed (on the voice channel). The network (or control channel) is more difficult. Most cellular communicators make use of the "control channel".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
accidental plumber

G. Morgan,

Thank you for opening my eyes to the situation..

I like the idea you suggested with the cellular communications. THat is basically what I wanted to do.

I have shopped around and am quite stunned with how much the 5800 series products cost.

DO I need a 5800 series repeater? Let me know if I am missing anything with my order for a 2 story lakehouse in florida:

1 x Ademco / Honeywell LYNXR24 Wireless Install Security System with 24 hour rechargeable battery for UL residential fire applications 1 x Honeywell / Ademco 5816-10KT 5816 Door/Window Transmitter - 10 Pack 2 x Honeywell / Ademco 5819WHS Wireless Integrated Shock Sensor, Processor and Transmitter (White) 4 x Honeywell / Ademco 5894PI Wireless 80 lb. Pet Immune PIR Motion 2 x Honeywell / Ademco 5808LST Wireless Smoke/Heat Detector

$1,442.65

THat is quite a ticket! I am wondering if I should just invest in a guard dog and a .45 for half the price?

Only thing I can see as added protection is if there is a fire they will alert the fire dept.

Kyle

G. Morgan wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
kyle

1 or 2 motions is enough if strategically placed
Reply to
Don

People might be stunned at how much a 2 story lakehouse in Florida is worth.

A quality guard dog, professional training, (don't try to DYI a guard dog, you will get bit, so avoid the doctor bills), food, vet bills, dealing with all the crap, a quality handgun, training, permit, ammunition, trigger lock, etc. You may be just as stunned at that ticket. But wait! Burglar poisons dog, steals gun, kills someone, legal fees defending yourself for not securing gun. Guilty or not, you will still be invited to the picnic. Your better off saving some money at Geigo.

Your thought process is right about the fire protection however.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I told my wife it would be able $1k. After the cellular equipment and such, I'll be pushing $1.5K. She still hasn't bit as far as believing a home security system is really going to provide any sort of immediate safety to her when I'm 2000 miles away working during the week. Her complaint is that so what if the alarms go off. By the time the police arrive the burglar will have either raped,killed her and taken whatever they needed. I told her we can install a deafening siren to alert neighbors and such but she said is that going to keep her alive?

Are the prices reasonable or could be cheaper via a package deal?

ps- what about the shatterproof glass?

Bob Worthy wrote:

Reply to
kyle

Now you are spilling some important info. Your wife has a very serious concern about her safety when you are not at home. And believe it or not, if you are leaving her, when she has these concerns, you can't be comfortable while your out of town which may affect your focus. By the sounds of it, whether it is a daily topic of discussion or not, her stress level, when you are not at home rises over her feelings of not being secure. The last thing she needs is to have that ear piercing siren go off in the middle of the night due to cheap and/or improperly installed equipment. There is alot to consider when you start looking into, not only property protection, but personal protection. Yes, the dollar figure goes up and it is not a case of merely adding electronics. There is a whole design thing for the interior, as well as the exterior, of your home. On the high side, it could involve a electronic home security design/sales/technical person, an electrician, a locksmith, a landscape person (believe it or not), and if you and/or your wife "really" have some concerns, that have not come out yet, a building contractor. As far as the shatterproof windows (impact glass), they are about triple the cost of a regular window, plus if you are thinking about changing windows, Florida is now under a state wide uniform building code. This means that, regardless of where you are located, you will need to come up to the hurricane codes when doing any type of major renovation. They are good, will deter the smash and grab, and give you protection during the storm season.

One thing to remember with security systems. They do not "protect" anything. They can only "detect", "communicate" and hopefully "deter". Before you spend any money, I would suggest you get a good understanding of your wife's comfort level. By the sounds of it, she has some deep concerns. When I hear the words "rape and kill", I know the client is not necessarily concerned about that bracelet they received for their birthday. The game changes. Don't tailor a price to this until you know where you are going. That might bite you worse than that guard dog. :o]

"kyle" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bob Worthy

maybe i overstated the issue of her being worried. it probably is just new home jitters. the neighborhood is definitely not crime-ridden by any means. and i threw the rape/killed part in (hence overstatement) .. she is 21 and just lonely/nervous in a big house by herself. a guard dog might give her more of a peace of mind than anything at this point.

can you explain in more detail each of these services ?

Bob Worthy wrote:

Reply to
kyle

A security design/sales/technical- Properly design a system to your home (floor plan), interior (drapries, wall coverings (mirrored for instance) furniture (heavy, contempory, etc.) flooring (tile, carpet, hardwood floors) fireplaces, windows (type), doors (wood, steel, wood and steel, door jambs (wood, steel), attic accesses, telephone demark, power circuit (cannot be on appliance circuit) stairwells, AC/heating vents, crystal chandeliers (reflective items), pets, safes, gun cabinets, collectors items, valuables, utility room, gas or electric utilities, attached/detacted garage, large attic fans in gables, crawl spaces, and that is off the top of my head.

Electrician- Exterior lighting

Locksmith- Re-key a new home, add dead bolts, add locks to interior doors (closets, gun cabinet, safe area, areas where valuable are kept), gate locks, outside building locks (sheds), sliding glass door pins, in Florida (because your front door swings outward and the hinge pins are exposed to the outside) hinge pins are recommended.

Landscaper- one of the best defenses is to eliminate any folage that can be used as a hiding place and replace it with low growing folage that is pleasing to the eye but a pain to get through, thorny, etc as a deterent to keep away from the perimeter of the propery or house.

Building contractor- those windows you were talking about and if you wanted/needed to go to the next step, a safe room. Good for home invasion, storms (hurricanes), keeping those valuables, etc.

Without seeing the property, who knows what else. Where are you at in Florida? I am in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.