back up coverage when alarm not armed?

Alarm question - I'm just curious, does anybody do anything like this?

A few months ago some friends of mine had their house burglarized while they were at work (no alarm, now they have one). Basically the thieves came in and tossed the place upside down looking for things. Now, occasionally, someone forgets to arm the alarm when they leave.

Since some home burglaries involve tossing the house when the occupants are away, does anybody recommend/discourage having some things like pictures on wall, drawers in dresser, etc. wired in to zones programmed as follows... Set up either on partition 2 (Ademco Vista 20 for example) that is almost always armed Or Set up as a "24 hour audible alarm" (or 24 silent or 24 auxiliary) ( types 7, 6, 8 respectively) Obviously if the user always sets their alarm every time they go away, this is a moot point. But for the ones that occasionally or always forget. Might this be a good idea? Have you ever seen it done? Would you recommend it? Would you discourage it?

Reply to
autonut843
Loading thread data ...

What you're suggesting is doable. It might create some confusion for the homeowner though. If they forget to disarm both partitions before opening a certain drawer or cabinet the alarm will sound. If they forget to arm the second partition those zones will have no protection even if partition 1 is armed.

You can assign one or more zones to multiple partitions on some systems and that may help but watch out. Some systems ignore zones assigned to more than one partition unless all partitions are armed (logical AND) while some respond to such zones if either partition is armed (logical OR).

I haven't needed to use this feature on an Ademco panel (most of the systems I've installed are from other manufacturers) so I'm not certain how it will work or if it will work at all on the Vista panel.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

I wired the stereo speakers to a panic input. If someone unplugs the cables to steal the speakers, a "noiseless" guitar cable shorts together when unplugged and is electrically the same as pushing a panic button to make contact. Same thing could be done to any entertainment item, portable TV, computer, etc.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

I take the lazy way out.

I care enough about my things to TURN my alarm ON!

If it's too big a deal to turn it on why are you spending all this time on the "STUPID-MAN" option?

Reply to
Jen...tel

Bravo, Jen. "Stupid Men"... Don'tcha just hate 'em?? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I turn the alarm on, but I can't protect everything with sensors on windows and doors, so this is an additional way to protect. I also have floor mats and other things that the pros don't know how to install. I merely mentioned it because the panic input will activate the alarm whether or not the alarm is set. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be moving the TV or stereo so what is the harm? I agree it is not usual and customary but it doesn't risk anything by doing it this way.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Wuss!!! "Real men" turn on their alarm systems. When they're at home, they "turn on their wife"... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

And the advantage of doing it this way is that if the code is ever compromised and a thief manages to disarm the system, it will still sound an alarm if the thief tries to steal certain common items. But then, I guess you already knew this. Redundancy and backup. Be creative man. Put in more than 3 doors and two motions.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

I'll have you know we only sell wireless contacts and PIR's for our residential customers. Anything that my guys can "lick and stick". All our products have been passed by the Belgian Wireless Institute under the careful scrutiny of Dr. RuPaulie... (Would you like an apple pie with that?) :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Just having fun with the 2 doors and 3 motions thing. Can you believe ADT actually tried to sell me that as a secure system? I think they were also selling Belgian Paul Wireless. And it wasn't a "free" system. It was $850 up front plus $38 a month for the next 100 years. And yes, fries were included. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Dang!!! "100 years"??!!... I gotta amend my contracts!!! ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'd say that if they can't remember to arm their alarm system, from day to day ..... they're not going to remember that they've set panic alarms to trip on various item in the house ......... two or three years from now. How dumb proof can you make a system ........ especially after they've already been burglarized?

What stronger message can some one get to make them pay attention to security?

Reply to
Jim

Hmmm, maybe they need to get robbed a few more times?

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Panic button huh ? thats a great idea. Would you just use a NC button/switch and wire it to an instant trip zone ? (Thinking application for little old ladies who get attacked in thier sleep). Could you have it always trip the system even if the alarm is not armed ?

Reply to
Impalpable

I don't hear of many "little old ladies who get attacked in their sleep". They're usually out shopping and wield their purses like Jackie Chan at any punk with a tattoo or a funny haircut...

"Hiyyy-yyaaah!"

"That's a great shot, Martha! You hit him right on the swastika!"

Reply to
Frank Olson

a simple way of arming the damn thing when no one is there

use a panel like the paradox series that will arm itself automatically in stay mode after no movement in the house for an hour..

that way at night the system arm itself and when they leave it will do it again if they didn't armed it when leaving..its better to have some protection then nothing...

but as jen said..if they are not careful enough to arm it every time they leave well they deserve to be burglarized again...

"autonut843" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.