disconnect when picking up and hanging up phone

I have a weird issue where the DSL disconnects after picking up and hanging up the landline phone. It will reconnect after a few minutes after picking up the phone, even while the phone is in use. But after hanging up the phone, the same thing happens again.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this? Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I have the filters on every phone. Is it possible that it is a provider (SBC Yahoo) issue rather than my phone?

Reply to
Bucky
Loading thread data ...

Filters, filters, filters. Everything must be filtered. Any device connected to the same telephone number or telephone line must have a filter between the device and the phone line. (Exception: the dslmodem itself does not require a filter.

Or maybe a bad filter. Or bad wiring (your 'tip and ring' may be mixed)

alarm/security system: active or not (call alarm/security company for filter instructions) utilities: does the meter report by phone? filter must be provided by utility company water gas electric paging or intercom system that uses phones: may require a whole house filter (POTS splitter (also works for alarm system)) or separate line for dsl rollover lines: put the dsl on your fax line, not one of the rollover lines

satellite (and rarely cable) box may use phone for premium services, such as pay per view external ringer or light flasher distinctive ring

other phones: attic garage bedroom upstairs downstairs fax machine answering machine caller id box dial-up modem telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) medic alert

Reply to
Kay Archer

The modem *can't* have a filter.

--

formatting link

Reply to
ellis

Now, now, don't confuse the people with filters that have two jacks (built in splitter). (g).

Reply to
Kay Archer

One phone, or any phone? If one phone, that's easier. Either the filter is bad, or there's a poor connection in the wiring to THAT set.

If any phone, look at the connections common to all.

Reply to
David Lesher

Other comments are good; there may also be a 'half-ringer' installed at the NID (where the line attaches to the house). These were used for troubleshooting phone lines, and can interfere with DSL.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

On 30 Dec 2006 12:49:20 -0800, "Bucky" put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you suspect that your filter is not doing its job, and assuming that this is a design issue rather than a genuine fault, try connecting two filters in series. That is, connect a second filter to the phone socket of the first filter, and then connect your phone to the phone socket of the second filter.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

RFI or radio frequency interference filters can also interfere with DSL. They are used to block radio station interference and will not cause the type of problem that is the topic of this discussion. Check inside your network interface box. RFIs resemble DSL line filters. If you find one simply remove it and reconnect the jumper.

K> Bucky wrote:

Reply to
kingpen

Another (rare) problem area is the customer's surge protector. Sometimes bypassing the telephone line surge protector (whether on your power strip or ups) can improve your signal quaility (or existance).

Seems the more unknown the name on the surge protector, the more likely it is to interfere...

Reply to
Kay Archer

I'm a DSL installer and that was an interesting point Kay. From experience, the surge protector may cause problems if it is not "DSL ready". I believe everyone shoud have a splitter installed at the demarcation point with a home run pair to a dedicated DSL jack. With a splitter installed you are assured of no interference from your internal wiring.

K> > RFI or radio frequency interference filters can also interfere with

Reply to
kingpen

resolution! we called the service person to the house. He checked inside the house, no problems. Then he checked the box outside the house and immediately found the problem. There was something extra that should not have been there, so he cut it off and tested again. Problem fixed.

(sorry I can't tell you what the extra piece was. it actually wasn't at my house, it was at my friend's, and he didn't remember what it was).

Reply to
Bucky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.