-
Reply to
Doug L
Loading thread data ...

Very possible, also line cards sometimes go bad. Things like that

Depends, if its a small dealer with his own line it might not be

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Sonicduck" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Might help if you spelled it correctly

trog·lo·dyte ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trgl-dt) n. 1.. 1.. A member of a fabulous or prehistoric race of people that lived in caves, dens, or holes. 2.. A person considered to be reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish. 2.. 1.. An anthropoid ape, such as a gorilla or chimpanzee. 2.. An animal that lives underground, as an ant or a worm.

begin 666 pron.jpg M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`@$`2 !(``#_[08(4&AO=&]S:&]P(#,N, `X0DE-`^D` M`````'@`'@```$@`2 `````"YP)3__?_^ ,/`EL@`@4H`_P``````6@!: `` M```.@PN?`70`,@N?2*@`2P`!`0$````!)P\\``0`!```````````````````` M`````````0!D`P```````````!"A"@`1`````````%,V,# X0DE-`^T````` M`! `2 !"``$``0!(`$(``0`!.$))300-```````$````>#A"24T#\\P`````` M" ``````````.$))300*```````!```X0DE-)Q ```````H``0`````````" M.$))30/U``````!(`"]F9@`!`&QF9@`&```````!`"]F9@`!`*&9F@`&```` M```!`#(````!`%H````&```````!`#4````!`"T````&```````!.$))30/X M``````!P``#_____________________________`^@`````____________ M_________________P/H`````/____________________________\\#Z `` M``#_____________________________`^@``#A"24T$" ``````'P````$` M``) ```"0 ````,``!1 ````!> !```]50``.$))3001```````!`0`X0DE- M!!0```````0```#Q.$))300,``````,3`````0````T````5````* ```T@` M``+W`!@``?_8_^ `$$I&248``0(!`$@`2 ``__X`)D9I;&4@=W)I='1E;B!B M>2!!9&]B92!0:&]T;W-H;W"H(#4N,/_N``Y!9&]B90!D@ ````'_VP"$``P( M" @)" P)"0P1"PH+$14/# P/%1@3$Q43$Q@1# P,# P,$0P,# P,# P,# P, M# P,# P,# P,# P,# P,# P!#0L+#0X-$ X.$!0.#@X4% X.#@X4$0P,# P, M$1$,# P,# P1# P,# P,# P,# P,# P,# P,# P,# P,# P,#/_ `!$(`!4` M#0,!(@`"$0$#$0'_W0`$``'_Q $_```!!0$!`0$!`0`````````#``$"! 4& M!P@)"@L!``$%`0$!`0$!``````````$``@,$!08'" D*"Q ``00!`P($`@4' M!@@%`PPS`0`"$0,$(1(Q!4%181,B7U5F9VAI:FML;6YO8W1U=G=X>7I[?'U^?W$0`"`@$"! 0#! 4&!P0$?!N=CJ"RBN%GI MBK5:=X#B0AA2:@V"K:2@C:LH.:Q0!J5L(@A7F!#-:!VVUNKVZD4\\/"J?>F-Z M1H854OCS08E9+9>!WC!$]2&O%;U"T.A$Q/APVQ4Y2M0KS%2@-P%4NPQ046\\>

MLY:(B'CM+34='(&I1L!DC\\3G6HGNP,D;H5"N&5+ M2.:_-;Q[0_T)28.07=T>KNDSC>TZ1UIM0W9K+MO%SE2CW0;HC#S^ZE'-?1.R M/? QJXV/E?Z.J?7Q]]./);3[W:O96IL+T.M->[;O[0V?\\K6&T^HLIYWH\\SX_ #7__9 ` end

begin 666 obreve.gif M1TE&.#EA!P`/`/ ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````'``\\```(4A ^!H

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Sonicduck" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

This smell like our belgium friend........

Plonk!!!

Reply to
petem

Not even close

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I think you missed my point completely. I was saying that even though ADT is huge, they account for a very small part of the overall picture. The independent dealers are much larger as a group, and are vital to the health of the industry.

I wasn't bragging about the numbers, but I believe your guess is a little off. I'd eatimate:

5 million customers - 1 million from Slink and a combined 1 million from the rest = about 3 million ADT non-acquisition accounts.

Most of ADT's revenue actually comes from national accounts, government business, and commercial customers; although these sources account for only about 1 million total customers. Many of these are not monitored accounts, but are customers none the less.

Industry rankings for those who haven't seen them:

formatting link

Reply to
J. Sloud

Nope... He's far more "entertaining" (at least he can spell the small words).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
petem

LMFAO If you are going to throw an insult which is intended to make you appear more intelligent than those you are insulting... It is much more effective if you spell it correctly.

S> You are jumping to conclusions....as most of the chimps here

Reply to
JoeRaisin

When we didn't have as much traffic, we made an automated system to call each phone number at least once-per-hour to make sure the phone number was answering with tones (including 800 numbers).

More customers and better equipment and a few years later... Now we just monitor every incoming phone number (DID) in real-time incorporating phone switch Call Logs and Open/Close/Test activity to verify we are getting the "expected" activity from each phone number based on previous weeks during the same timeframe.

that's irrelevant when it's connected to a PBX with T1's handling the call traffic.

In 15 years I've never heard of the Central Station calling a Customer to test the customers system (except by calling them and telling them to test their system). Maybe that was just a failed experiment, certainly possible, but not practical these days.

If you want that kind of supervsions these days the easiest way is via Internet Communicators with 5-minute checkins. Traffic is free and a checkin doesn't create any traffic for the Central Station systems and logs. The checkin is just tracked and an alarm is generated in the C/S if the checkin is not received from the system within a minute after the checkin was expected. Dedicated lines are prohibitively expensive and undesirable to monitor.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

Being with ADT, he might have been unknowingly referring to "Leased line" systems- years ago we used Leased Lines for larger commercial accounts- a real-time constant connection to the customer's equipment. Instant notification of communication loss. With the advent of wireless communication backup, there's really not much call for a VERY expensive phone company leased line, not to mention that the phone company has been phasing them out for years.

There are also a few local municipalities in very exclusive areas (Ladue MO, for example) where the PD monitors alarms directly at the Police Station. I believe they are doing away with leased lines, as well, relying on dial-in communication.

One of my fist experiences as an installer was in Ladue- a very high-end community with multi-million dollar homes. It was my first week as a rookie, and we were taking out some older equipment of ours and replacing it with a new Westec System. (I worked for the local Westec franchise at the time) Our Lead Installer on the job neglected to check in at the PD before we went to the premises, which is a huge no-no in Ladue, (ALL contractors and delivery people going to a home in Ladue must check-in at the PD in Ladue) and we proceeded to start removing the equipment. My foreman handed me the control panel (which had a leased line going directly to the PD) after taking it off the wall and told me to take it to the truck. As I stepped outside the front door of the mansion with this giant blue Westec can in my hands, the police had arrived and two officers proceeded to draw their weapons- one had hid psitol and the other a shotgun- and pointed them at me and said "freeze". Needless to say, it was a miracle that I didn't piss my pants on the spot. I explained who I was and what we were doing (we got a fairly good truck allowance for a 4 yr or newer truck there, so we drove our own unmarked Install trucks) and produced my St. Louis County installer's license and company ID. We had a good laugh about it later, but we never forgot to check into Ladue PD after that.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle
5 million customers, each sending a daily test...that would even bankrupt ADT at .06 cent incriment calling. They would have to triple their work force just to handle the late to test nightmares. They would also need to quadruple the amount of phone lines just to handle the additional traffic. Not good for business, or their share holders.

So that's $300,000 per day x 365 days = $ 109,500,000 a year, just to send daily tests. That's probably more than ADT's total combined payroll for the year... :)

If it wasn't for the ADT dealer program, ADT would probably have filed bankruptcy many years ago. With the current 30-40 percent attrition rate, the dealer program helps keep the boat afloat for the meantime. If you can sign up new customers as fast as you lose them, this gives the illusion that all is well at ADT.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

$.06 per call? Wow. I pay .02 - .03, it seems ADT could get a much better deal from their 800 provider, with their volume. js

Reply to
alarman

Even at 1 cent per call it would be a lot...can you imagine 5 million daily tests a day...sheeesh.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No doubt. $.06 is real hight though, dontcha think? js

Reply to
alarman

No, I didn't miss your point, and I wasn't referring to you as the braggart. I was only questioning (not arguing) the numbers you were using. Back around the mid to late 90's the big 3 were Pro 1, Slinky, and ADT. The three of them were always trying to acquire each other for what seemed like no other reason than to lay claim to who was #1(Lord knows they had worthless paper). We'd need an old SDM top 100 from that period to see who had what but ISTR Alarmguard having over 500,000, Wells Fargo, Rollins, and Holmes were all around 300,000 each, not to mention some of the Sonitrol acquisitions, and Edison. Slinky was slightly over a mil. Check the ADT numbers from back in 1996, and compare them to today's numbers. Has ADT installed 3-4 million alarm systems in the last 9 years?

Those damn SDM reports are a pa> >

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

I think thats abt right...maybe .05 if you have high traffic. No one ever calls on my 866 number so I only pay 5 bucks a month :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Absolutely Paul's brother or a close relative. Hmmm. Do trolls HAVE brothers?

Julian

Reply to
julian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.