An ethical conundrum... Opinions welcome!

They're entitled to one year's billing since they suspended service. As to monitoring, you already know the answer. No test signal =3D major liability problem. If you own the CS and you want the account, try to explain how important the test signal is. If they won't budge and you still want their business, do the test signals at no charge. Explain that you consider it important enough to their security as well as yours that you will process daily test signals for free rather than monitor it without them. Even if the client doesn't give in and pay the extra fee, he will respect your integrity for doing it.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
sales
Loading thread data ...

They're entitled to one year's billing since they suspended service. As to monitoring, you already know the answer. No test signal = major liability problem. If you own the CS and you want the account, try to explain how important the test signal is. If they won't budge and you still want their business, do the test signals at no charge. Explain that you consider it important enough to their security as well as yours that you will process daily test signals for free rather than monitor it without them. Even if the client doesn't give in and pay the extra fee, he will respect your integrity for doing it.

when will you stop trolling?

Reply to
Kid

I'm curious why you would be posting here and in the home automation groups using the above.

Reply to
Jim

It's called "Pulling a Rodney"

Reply to
mleuck

I assume you're referring to the simplified sig line. Something went wrong with Giganews so I'm using Google for my Usenet access until I get it straightened out. For Giganews I use MSOE which had my personal and business sig files. I'm too lazy to type the sig into every post via Google. :^)

Regards, Robert

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
sales

Jeeeze Robert,

What's with the snipped-for-privacy@aol.com?????????????????

Reply to
Jim

Huh???

Reply to
sales

Jeeeze Robert,

What's with the snipped-for-privacy@aol.com?????????????????

trolling!

Reply to
Kid

Well, I really don't know how you can't know this, but the screen name on your posts is:

Jim at Aol dot com.

Reply to
Jim

I have no idea. I was talking to the manager of one of the better alarmco's in Vancouver and he told me that they lost a client to Alarmfarce. The guy had a full perimeter system installed. Glass-break detectors, etc. Sold the house and the new owner moved his Alarmfarce system in. One door, one PIR (made "pet proof" by mounting it upside down three feet from the floor). The alarmco's service dept was contacted to power down their equipment (including the monitored smoke and carbon monoxide detectors). This company charged $35.00 per month for monitoring ($25.00 per month for basic service, $5.00 for fire, and $5.00 for CO). Alarmfarce charges $25.00 for their voice service. I suppose the customer perceived "value" in one over the other. There's a lot of "hype" in the sales pitch used by Alarmfarce. I hope Joel Matlin sleeps well at night secure in the knowledge that the fire and CO detectors in this house have been neutralized because this customer chose "the best alarm system in North America".

PS. Like any good reputable alarm dealer the customer was offered a degraded system (local only) rather than disconnect the thing entirely. He didn't want to pay for the service call so now, he has practically "nothing".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Good Freakin' God - I hope there are other smoke detectors in the house.

What is the liability - even if asked to do so - in killing smoke detectors in a house? Should the AHJ that granted occupancy way back when be contacted?

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I have no idea (if there are 110VAC smokes on the premises). The AHJ isn't involved when system smoke alarms are added to a residential security system. There isn't even a requirement to have them properly supervised.

I know where you're coming from. Unfortunately there are still people that don't properly research their options, and some people that are so "stuck" on one particular product (or the hype surrounding it), that it clearly affects their purchase decisions. God help all stupid people (stuck with Alarmfarce systems).

Reply to
Frank Olson

RHC: Gawd, the utter stupidity of that homeowner is almost unbelievable. I know that people get well sold on the Alarmforce "hype" but that is going TOTALLY backwards !!!!!!! I guess Rube Goldstein had it right....there's a sucker born every minute.

Who said that a fool and his money are soon parted....WAIT ! I know...it was Joel Matlin....:))

Reply to
tourman

I though that was PT Barnum

Or every Freebee alarm company customer.

But, if you think about it, both sayings basically say the same thing.

Reply to
Jim

No it was Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)

Reply to
mleuck

No it was Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)

RHC: Hey, I'm not THAT old.....:))

Reply to
tourman

Yep. D'ohhh! (See earlier post from about 5 minutes ago)

Reply to
sales

Uh, that was P T Barnum (who used to live in Sarasota). Rube Goldberg was an artist/engineer who built elaborate machines to perform simple tasks.

George W. Bush?

Oh, no. That can't be right. Bush never got a quotation right. He's the idiot who said, "Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice.... ummm, I'ts not nice to fool people." :^)

Oh, well. At least he doesn't thing he can see Venezuela from his front porch.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
sales

The way I heard it, the prayer goes like this:

"Please grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I cannot accept, and wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off."

Robert

Reply to
sales

It says a lot that you are trolling under an assumed name in a thread about ethics and PT Barnum did not say that

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.