5800 series range?

Quick question: I have a customer that wants her detached garage doors and windows protected. The garage is about 30 feet from the back of the house, it has Stucco exterior walls. I was thinking about using a couple of 5816 transmitters mounted in the garage and a 5881ENL Receiver mounted in the house next to the control (Stucco exterior walls also). Will this configuration work, or am I stretching the technology past its usable limits? Any feedback anyone can provide will be appreciated...

Happy Holidays, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill
Loading thread data ...

Should work, depends on whats under the stucco...chicken wire, expanded mesh, etc.

You could remote the receiver up in the attic above the stucco walls (if there's an attic)...I've done this too. The height seems to allow better reception/transmittion over t he stucco stuff.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks for the info Crash, Merry X-mas..... Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Reply to
I brive a dus

Ah, yes. The Great Cereal Box Debacle. That wound had almost healed. js

Reply to
alarman

Also watch for mirrors blocking sig.

Merry Xmas too youse guys too! We cheated and just opened our presents.

R.

| > You could remote the receiver up in the attic above the stucco walls (if | > there's an attic)...I've done this too. The height seems to allow better | > reception/transmittion over t he stucco stuff. | >

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
nick markowitz

150 inches is not very far>
Reply to
Don

Reply to
alarman

Meant to say 150 feet

Reply to
nick markowitz

A couple of times, I've had garages to protect with wireless in the New York area. And although, I've warned the clients that battery life might be a problem with the Napco wireless transmitters, they've been installed for three years and longer at this point. There doesn't seem to be a noticable difference in the life of the batteries. Lithium 3v, Duracell 123 batteries. I think the same as used in the 5800.

Reply to
Jim

Don't do it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You've had poor results with the configuration I mentioned below?

Reply to
Russell Brill

My rule of thumb is never install wireless sensors in detached buildings

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Why?

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
I brive a dus

It always seems to turn into a supervisory problem later on, changing atmospheric conditions etc.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The instance you had with cereal boxes brought up other problems, if you have THAT much problem installing a sensor then wireless wasn't the way to go OR you should have installed something with more reception capability such as a Vista-15P with a 5881 receiver instead of a Lynx.

Moving around boxes until it worked wasn't the proper solution.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

We were lucky that store had room for a lynx let alone a panel and pad.

It was a typical CT bodega where every > >

Reply to
I brive a dus

Well, if you're talking about 75 or 100 feet away, I'd agree with you. But if it's a garage or structure next to the house, as in the few cases I've been asked to do it, I've just made sure that one of the receivers is pretty close to that side of the house so that it's about 30 or 40 feet in a straight line. Make sure the transmitter in the garage is mounted on the same side as the house. And definitely do a signal strength test before hand, so that you're getting at least an 8 or 6 on a scale of 10. I've actually got three systems doing that and no problem for years now.

Now, if someone is just going stick up a transmitter without testing and placement considerations, and hope for the best, I'd guess, chances are, there'd eventually be a problem.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.