USB extension

I have a DWL-122 in the garage, and to get a good signal I made a 20 foot extension from cat5 cable, using 1 pair for power and another pair for data, Anytime I switch on a light or whatever, I lose the connection for a while. Does the extension need to be shielded? Also, after about 20 minutes, the little screen icon in the task bar lights up with one screen lit, and is unresponsive until I unplug and replug the USB connection. Again, is this because of thr unshielded extension? Thanks in advance, Rob

Reply to
MrSmiley
Loading thread data ...

Maybe. The problem is the DC resistance of your CAT5 extension cable. If you inspect the official USB cable, the outer two wires are typically #20 awg. Your single pair of CAT5 is #24 awg or about twice the DC resistance per ft. Even so, the maximum length for USB, without repeaters, is about 16ft.

I think you can make this CAT5 kludge work if you use one pair for data, and parallel the remaining 3 pairs to supply the DC power.

Once you have 5.0VDC delivered to the DWL-122, then start thinking about shielding. You may not need it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
MrSmiley

formatting link
claims USB extension over 150 feet of Cat5 cable to a self-powered USB device, so maybe Jeff's suggestion to bulk up the power leads is a good one. You could even test it with a powered hub on the end f your existing cable.

OTOH, I thought the 16-foot limit on USB was due to timing, and I've had several nightmares trying to make HP AllInOne devices work on "active extensions" (16-foot cables with bus-powered 1-port hubs molded into the ends), so I'd proceed with caution.

Maybe placement of your USB WiFi adapter on a legal-length 16-foot cable (up instead of over, etc) would work better...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I might think so. A 5 meter USB cable is about $10 or less around here. That works quite well with my DWL-122. Shielding or power loss (I know the DWL gets warm, so it's drawing more power than you might think), or just bad connections.

Reply to
dold

Where is the router? Since you have a 20 ft cable, wouldn't it be eaiser just connect the PC to the router with cat 5 cable directly?

Reply to
No e-mail

Again, try going up 10 feet instead of over 20 feet...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Reply to
MrSmiley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.