alarm system

hi my question is simple i install cable and voip systems i havent had the chance to work o a house that has an alarm system. what is the basic connection to look for at the nid when i tie in the voip system? i know i have to run a seperate pair from the cable/voip modem to the nid but from there i still cannot grasp the idea on how the alarm is hooked up to the nid or what color wires were used, is there any thing differnt i have to do or can i just hook up my blue-blue/white as usual. i have been cabling for 9 yrs now but with our new phone service and differnt color wiring i do feel a litte intimidated ask me anything about broadband connections and can most likley give you an answer but with this phone wiring stuff im GREEN. so any help or ideas or if you know about diagrams i can look at please let me know. thanx

Reply to
m.klaput
Loading thread data ...

Don't bother most alarm systems will not reliably transmit over VoIP. Inform the customer and the alarm company before messing with anything.

For POTS lines; basically the alarm panel is the first phone on the house line...so the street feed goes directly to ONLY the alarm panel, then comes back out and feeds all the house lines. What colors??? There is no real standard I use red/green for street, yellow/black to feed the house... or blue pair for street, orange pair feeds house. Pretty easy to figure out if you open the RJ block at the panel and look at the pairs used.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If there's an RJ31X jack installed (there should be) for the alarm there will be a 4-conductor wire from the NID to the RJ31X, which is located next to or inside of the alarm control panel.

The red/green pair will be connected to the incoming line. The house phones, instead of being connected directly to the NID, will be connected to the black/yellow pair coming back from the RJ31X. If the alarm company used CAT5 you can usually substitute white/blue and white/green for the red/green and black/yellow pairs.

Disconnect the red/gree pair from the NID and connect yout VoIP device's phone line output to those wires.

PLEASE! Make certain you have the homeowner test the alarm system through to the monitoring station before you leave. If there's a problem, offer to reconnect the telco line until the customer and his alarm installer resolve it. Otherwise you might be leaving them with no security. You don't need lawyer problems. :^)

Best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I wouldn't mess with the phone wiring to the alarm panel until you know for sure that it will transmit reliably over VOIP (some have real problems) and the customer can provide some sort of UPS to ensure the cable modem can maintain communication during power outages.

Regards, Frank

Reply to
FIRETEK

Wrong again, Olson. Since the POTS line is usually being disconnected when the client changes to VoIP, it is essential that the alarm be tested on the VoIP connection. The only way to find out is to connect it up and run some tests. Besides, replacing POTS with VoIP requires "messing" with the phone lines.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

the client changes to VoIP, it is essential that the

connect it up and run some tests. Besides, replacing POTS

Since you decided to drag me into this thread, I think what Frank meant was that before the customer cancels his POTS line he should ensure the alarm panel will communicate over VOIP. Mind you, in most instances where the customer opts to covert to VOIP, we're given very little notice and invariably the POTS service is already terminated. The new notices we've provided to our customers about VOIP will hopefully help to limit the number of reconnection charges (which can be a real pain when they find out they still need a POTS line).

Reply to
Frank Olson

You post using an alias, then pretend you're not part of the thread.

Speaking of oneself in the third person is one of the symptoms of schizophrenia. Perhaps you should borrow some of Cracker's meds next time you get together for inverted play.

I was under the impression that the gentleman was a tech installing VoIP. If so, he's arriving after the customer has already made the decision to switch.

"We?" Is that you and your aliases? No one gives you (or your aliases) notice of anything regarding VoIP. That notification, if given at all, goes to the alarm company -- not a distributor. You're not an installer. You may resume talking to yourself now.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

schizophrenia. Perhaps you should borrow some of Cracker's meds

Hmmm.. So Graham has schizophrenia according to you AND there are NOT two "Franks", that post messages in here. It seems to me YOU are the one experiencing paranoid delusions. You're projecting your own mental problems. Perhaps you should ask your psychologist why you experience this delusion -- seriously.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

Come now, Cracker. Everyone knows you're the one who had admitted you're under psychiatric treatment for agoraphobia panic disorder (a type of paranoid schizophrenia). You've also told several of us that you take two psychotropic drugs just to try to make it through the day. Your alcoholism is no secret either.

It was another bout of drunkenness that drove you to call me twice just recently. I hung up the first time. When you called back I told you not to call any more. I'm just not interested in your mental disease nor in the other disease which is you.

Have you landed another job. What's that,

10 jobs in 9 years now, Cracker? Does your new boss know about the alcoholism? What about the drug abuse? Is he aware that one of the contributing factors to your multiple firings is your habitual absenteeism (a direct result of the long nights of drinking and pill popping)? Does he know about your use of company resources to commit a crime?

Wonderful how Texas' online licensee database works, isn't it?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Y'know Robert, the lies you spew in this Group sorta cut both ways. It's highly doubtful anyone with a lick of sense will believe your bullshit. With the fact that you've just survived one of the more virulent forms of cancer, I would think some reflection on your life thus far is in order. Your heart problems combined with all those extra pounds make a bad combination. You could "kick off" any day (not that I would ever wish you ill). Think about it. The things you post into this Group (and others) survive for years, both the good and the bad (the bad particularly).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ha! let's pretend I am "Cracker" . Will you please post the proof I took the "two psychotropic" drugs?

That's weird... Will you please post the caller ID 'Cracker' used to call you?

Maybe 'Cracker' has been involved with many sub-contract companies? Have you ever considered that? Maybe you're pal 'Cracker' is a sub-contractor working for many companies at the same time? Did you think of that??? Didn't think so.

Are you publicly disparaging the one that is "Cracker"? Do you have any proof that he is an abuser? This could easily be construed as libel. Where is the proof of your accusations?

Oh my... That is libel. You are publicly accusing Graham of committing a crime... yes??? Is that true?? Where is the proof of the crime? Graham may have a very good case against you should your accusation prove untrue, eh?

Yep.. It keeps the honest, well honest. It was not designed to allow ex-felons like yourself to exploit law abiding citizens. Once they get word that you are using the database for nefarious purposes it may change - it already does not display DOB data because of the likes of you. Either way, it's of no conscience to me.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

Right, Bass. I'm an "illegal alias" and Frank's an "illegal alien"... :)

Reply to
FIRETEK

Well, your ideas are somewhat alien but you're also a sock puppet.

As to whatever illegal things you're up to, that is between you and the vice squad. -- not my concern.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.