Re: Can You Hook Home Alarm System With Vonage Service?

Is it possible to hook up my Vonage to the home alarm system service

> (Brinks Security)? Or do I still need to get an analog phone line from > Southwestern Bell? Thanks. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It _should_ be possible, but bear in > mind one thing burglars sometimes do is cut the electrical wire to > your house; that would as a result cut off your computer's electrical > supply, and kill your Vonage phone. Some alarm companies also have a > method of dealing not only with a call _into_ them, but also a way of > telling when their device has been _disconnected_ from the phone > line. I am not sure how well that would work when using Vonage, so you > might want to have the Brinks representative there to look at it > also. PAT]

I don't know the hardware he has but my brother in Florida wanted to do the same thing.

He called his security system vender and they upgraded his system to include a cellular phone with a remote antenna hidden in the attic and tied it all in with the same UPS his alarm system used.

As mentioned by Pat, the perps in my brother's area like to cut the cable, phone, and power connections prior to breaking in. Seems his local area requires an external power cut off as part of the electrical meter base making killing the power quite easy.

So now even with the power off, no cable or landline working, his alarm system along with the following options continues to work, high/low temperature, fire alarm, flooding, and combined cable + AC power failure, and panic buttons.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.