How to RJ-45 with 3 pair (6 wires) cable

Hi, I have network cable thru newly fnished house, the wiring is done from mechanical room into 6 different rooms. I am planning to crimp RJ-45 connectors on each end but have the problem because I don't know whch scheme to use. The problem is that in some rooms I have 4-pair (8 wires) but in some rooms I have 3-pair (6 wires) cables. What scheme should I use for RJ-45 connectors in both cases in order to have all 6 rooms fully functional. Website links, pictures, ideas is all welcome!

Thanks!

Reply to
djenka2
Loading thread data ...

It's a good thing you came to the internet, because we will tell all we know in the next 2 minutes.

The THREE pair cable isn't network, the cable ends get jacks, and hire someone who knmows what they're doing and you won't have to ask this kind of question.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

P.S. And get a refund from the clown who ran 3 pair cable.

>
Reply to
Carl Navarro

Hey that was me!!!!

LOL

Reply to
Perkowski

goto Home Despot and buy Leviton Category 5e jacks and get yourself a box of

500' Category 5e.

Buy 12 cat 5e patch cords, 1 12 port Cat 5e patch panel w/mounting bracket and youll be good to go

I think Dmitri here has a website of his that can help you with pinouts

You want to cable either 568A ot 568B. I wire up with B

The Leviton Jack is color coded and comes with a small plastic termination tool

You will also need faceplates and face plate brackets for your walls.

Perkowski

Reply to
Perkowski

Most likely, the 3-pair cable was meant for phone use. If it is rated Cat-3 you can use it for 10baseT.

It is best to connect solid wire to jacks, and use stranded wire patch cords from jacks to equipment. For the mechanical room end you can probably get away with wiring to plugs, as it won't move around much.

The 4 pair cable should be wired according to the TIA 468A or 468B standard, 468B is:

1 white-orange 2 orange 3 white-green 4 blue 5 white-blue 6 green 7 white-brown 8 brown

The important part is that the pairs (1,2), (3,6), (4,5) and (7,8) be the two wires of a twisted pair.

For phone use, I believe that pins 3-6 are usually still

3 white-green 4 blue 5 white-blue 6 green

and the third pair, I believe orange/white-orange goes to 2 and 7.

Sometimes phone wire will have (red, green), (yellow, black), (blue, and white), paired as parenthesized. For phones those go to (4,5), (3,6), and (2,7), though I am not sure of the standard for which wire to which pin of each pair.

If the 3-pair cable is Cat-3, and you really want it for 10baseT networking, put the third pair on (1,2). Gigabit needs all four pairs, but you won't get that through Cat-3 cable, anyway. (Well, for short distance you might, but you don't want to.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Is the 3 pair cable CAT5 rated?

At any rate, as long as you have pins 1,2 4. and 6 connected, that's all you'll need for an ethernet connection. The white/orange and white/green pairs.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Opppsss.........

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Actually he should have said "clown" pay to pull 4 pair cat 5 cable.

All this is moot if all the guy wants is 3 phone lines. His original post is missing quite a few basic details.

Can you imagine someone buying this house a few years from now and trying to figure out what the heck is going on?

Reply to
DLR

(snip)

I think your finger slipped, that should be (1,2) and (3,6), parenthesis indicating wires of the same twisted pair.

OK, the one above has the wiring for four color phone cable, the (red,green) pair goes to (4,5) and the (black,yellow) pair to (3,6). I believe the third pair in such cable is (blue,white), and for phone use would go to (2,7) or (7,2), all numbers for an

8 pin plug or jack.

Note that when mixed with phone wiring, 568A is slightly more convenient, as two pairs are on the same pins.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

They did, my bad. (1,2) and (3,6) is correct.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

djenka2 wrote in part:

The best way to do this is to terminate cables at the head end onto a patch panel. Crimping plugs onto solid is strictly temporary, and will create intermittants with flexing.

In either case, for residential use I'd follow TIA-570 and go with T-568A (even though -B is more common in commercial use) in order to have the second POTS line where it's expected (orange pair).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I've just found that only 4 wires are used for Network/Ethernet, to be exact, pins 1, 2, 3 and 6. And in 5 rooms I have 8 wires only in living area I have 6 wires, I think I am OK.

Thanks anyway!

Robert Redelmeier wrote:

Reply to
djenka2

The 3-pair cable most not likely 100 Mbps CAT5 rated, should work for 10 Mbps though. Compare the number of twists per inch to a CAT5 cable.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

(snip)

It isn't so much the twists per inch, but that the four pairs need to be sufficiently different.

For short enough distances, it will probably work for 100baseTX anyway.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I agree, will prolly work fine for a short run.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

A home builder called me this morning about some cable work done by his electrical contractor. The contractor used CAT3 6-pair and folded back the white/slate and red/blue pairs in his jacks.

The same contractor that used a come-along to pull CAT5 cables in building install...that failed CAT3 testing at 10 Mbps.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

In the Bad Old Days I came across ThinWire LANs installed by guys that also installed roof TV antennas and inside wire. One of them loved twist-on BNC connectors and never used a crimp tool. That office was a dependable source of income for me until I re-crimped everything. . Any time they had the cleaning service in I'd get a call the next day.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.