Vonage + alarm circuit

Hi all, I have Vonage and would like to make it available to all jacks in the house, which I'm told involves plugging my Moto VT1002 into the nearest jack with a splitter, and then disconnecting the inside wiring from outside plant at the NID. Here is where it gets sticky. I am having an alarm system installed, and of course I want the alarm circuit to run over POTS (VoIP is still waaaaaay too unreliable for something so vital). What would be the cleanest way to have this done?

Reply to
Syd Barrett
Loading thread data ...

So you're going to have a traditional POTS land line *and* a Vonage line?

Disconnect the inside wiring from the POTS and connect the new alarm system to it instead.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

Don't most ILEC's and CLEC's offer discounts for a dry pair? It would just be an emergency alarm ckt, so I wouldn't need any 'voice' features to it. However, some people have asked me why not just have the alarm ckt backhauled to my VT1002, and my reply is that for something like an alarm system, I want uptime and reliability that VoIP is nowhere close to delivering yet....

Rod Dorman wrote:

Reply to
Syd Barrett

In most places, dry pairs are simply not available for new installations.

The alarm dialer will need a dial tone, which is, perforce, a 'voice' feature.

Keep the POTS line. You could switch it to measured service, if available, which would save a few dollars a month.

z!

Reply to
Carl Zwanzig

Our alarm box is logically connected between the telco demarc and the rest of the house. The alarm box normally connects the telco side to the house so we get dial-tone. When an alarm needs to be reported, the alarm box breaks any existing phone connection and goes off-hook to get a dial tone.

I thought this was the normal wiring arrangement for monitored alarm services. If so, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mike

Reply to
mikebk824

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.