Re: Making my own cables?

that resolution looks kind of low. do you have plans to use this with anything beyond regular tv? dvd? hidef?

Reply to
RDS
Loading thread data ...

Hello, I realize this is a shot in the dark here, as there are so many TV's out there to choose from, but hey, I'll give it a go:

We are upgrading from our "ancient" 19-inch regular color TV. We actually have this old clunker hooked up within a kind of funky home theater setup (home theater tuner, two big old KLH side speakers, JBL center speaker, subwoofer). We have reduced the choices to two 34" widescreen models:

Sony KD-34XBR960, $2199 Toshiba 34HFX84, $1599

We will be getting HDTV via cable input from Comcast.

The Sony is currently "top rated" by some review sites, but it's expensive, weighs 200lbs., and has some features we don't need (an HDTV tuner, "cable-card readiness," a slot for Sony data stick input).

The Toshiba seems like a good choice based on price, looks, weight ("only"

160 lbs.), and features.

It seems from what I've written that I'm a leaning toward the Toshiba; I guess what I'm wondering is how the actual performance of the Toshiba measures up to the Sony. If the Sony's picture is significantly better, I'd likely spend the extra money (after all, we probably won't buy another TV for another ten years :-).

Has anyone viewed/compared these two fine sets? Is there an even better alternative I don't know about within this TV size/type category? Thanks for any answers, Doug

Reply to
Doug Greenberg

We have 50 of these 42" Hitachi Plasma Displays with the same type of screen burn.

If you have any ideas on how to successfully remove/minimize/fix this problem, please let us know.

If we receive a successfull suggestion, we will give you one of these

42" plasma screens.

Thanks for your help,

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
jesusn

So I looked, and looked, but only found material suggesting that the SATX1000 was the first unit Technics made with THX (black cabinet - no big meters). After digging around I found that the TX50 (smaller version) was made in 1995-1996. I then found in one small corner of the web, a SA-TX1010 was made in 1995!

So with that I'm not looking for the SA-TX1010 Anyone have a photo so I can verify it is the nice shinny unit I'm looking for?

Reply to
Drexus

Please do!! That's just the way the director / producer / mixer would like you to hear it.

In like 99% of households, there's the money and the space issue. Since the rear channels are of "less importance", they can be smaller (as long as the mids and highs can be compared to that of the fronts). LF audio (and you probably know the joke about signals with those wavelenghts) is then "managed" by the LFE channel.

There's also the issue about how diffuse the rears should sound. Dipole speakers for instance, can make the sound source less detectable, which is a pre for surround channels. Don't know much about that subject though...

Gert

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

formatting link
> x=447237047G

That is definately a poor quality unit... Just consider the fact that Radio Shack sells it tells you enough to stop looking.

Reply to
Noozer

I have Sky+ installed and have bought a Pioneer DCS222 DVD home cinema system which only allows playback of DVD-R/RW discs and also bought a Matsui DVD recorder which only allows playback of DVD+R/RW. My questions are

1) Is the Matsui compatible to record off sky+? 3) If I can record off Sky+ onto DVD+R/RW will the sound still come through the Pioneer system whilst the disk is in playback mode in the recorder? 4) Is it best to have to different formats of DVD players?or should they be the same playback type? 4) If all is not well has anyone any ideas on what Home cinema system and DVD recorder work best with Sky+?

Any help would be appreciated as they might have to go back to the shop!!

Reply to
Frank

Here is a pic of the SA-TX1000 from 1994

formatting link

Reply to
Brad Clarke

hook up a camera to one video input and point the camera at a pure white piece of paper with a lite shining on the paper for a few hours or longer. this sometimes works with old tube cameras.

Reply to
birdman

On 4 Feb 2005 08:33:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hitechcafe.com touched these keys:

Years ago in the days of tube video cameras when some camraman would point at the sun or a bright light the tubes would burn in. We could usually fix it if it wasn't too bad by pointing the camera at a brightly lit white wall and open the iris. Letting it sit like this for a couple of hours would sometime fix the burn in.

I don't know about a plasma but it would be worth a try to feed it bright white for a couple of hours.

Mark P.

Mark P.

rockville md na terra solsys orion arm....

Reply to
Mark P.

did you find this signal converter? I am looking for the same thing if it is out there please let me know if you found anything and I will do the same for you if i find something mark

------------------------------------- Marc Roch> I have a 4 year old Toshiba rear projection tv. The tv is not HDTV > ready

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

alt.home-theater - 262 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
markmess

Ya, that's the one I found that was not the "Pale Gold" version of the TX50. I'm starting to loose hope that I will ever see the unit I once saw. At times, I almost feel I dreamed it. But then I talked to a guy who worked at the same place where I saw the unit. He remembers it, but can't remember the exact model number... he even suggested it might have been part of a separate top-end series... kinda like the Pioneer Elite series. So this is why I think it is now the SA-TX1010

....back to the search engines...

Reply to
Drexus

Reply to
George B

Hello all,

I am thinking about getting the TX-NR5000E from Onkyo and wanted to get suggestions for a DVD/CD player to go with it as well as any speaker recommendations under $5000. TYIA

Azm

Reply to
Alaeddin

Ok - this may sound like a stupid question - but here goes. In the back of my componets is a little jack labeled remote (or something like that) its about the size of the small head phone jacks for walkmans. Can someone tell me how these work? It almost seems like I can link all my components to a central "black box" or something that I can use to remote control them.

Right now I have all my components in a closet on different shelves. I have a rat shack IR transmitter (the little triangle thing ) by my screen and the receiver in the closet. For the most part I can get my components to work w/ the execption of the CD changer (which is on the top right of the shelf) If I move the receiver around the closet I can get it to work - but then something else wont.

Anycase - was wondering if this would help me at all.

Thanks, Rob

You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m (remove the _ to get the address)

Reply to
Rob V

Are all of your components the same brand? What brand are they?

Reply to
scott(remove_to_reply)

When you use these jacks from out to in in to out etc, It allows you to point the remote at the recevier infrared sensor and operate the the other components. Some times those component don't have thier own remote control, but they will work from the master remote that came with your receiver, sometimes it's called sr or systems remote. But they have to be connected using those jacks

They all have to be the same brand

It it similar to to you pyramid remote extender it allow you to put components in places where the remote might not be able reach, like in a closed cabinet.

If you had a dvd changer hidden in a cabinet with the doors closed those jacks could be used to operate the remote for the DVD changer by pointing the remote at your receiver.

Reply to
Archer

When using better speakers (if you had the money) for surround is ideal, you don't have to get the same kind if a less expensive alternative could be found. Just my $0.02.

Reply to
disway

hi anyone know how to access the service mode on this tv?

Reply to
Rich S

My idea of human ear surround sound would be a room with floor speakers arranged thusly:

LF-CF-RF | | LC RC | | LR-CR-RR --SW (somewhere in the box.

Now here's my future vision. Take the above speaker placement and place another set of speakers (except the SW) arranged in the same fashion on the cieling.

16.1 "Human Ear Surround Sound"

Hear helicopters taking off from below you to overhead and away, people screaming as they fall from rooftops far above to their death at your feet, hear yourself following "our hero" as he climbs the stairs as bullets come from all angles, all around you.

As the human ear hears the real world.

Music surround would be just as awesome.

Give the film and music and other related industries nightmares!

And to think it all began with monaural. What's taking so long? ;)

DOLBY, could you get to work on it, by the end of the year?

Andy Burns

Reply to
Andy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.