Re: Making my own cables?

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a good A/V Receiver for a home theater. I'm a novice in this area. If there are any good websites that do reviews and comparisons of A/V receivers this would be very helpful also. I'm open to all recommendations on learning more about home theater and specifically the sound (receivers, speakers, wiring, setup, etc).

Thanks a lot for your help.

TH

Reply to
TH
Loading thread data ...

specifically

After some research I ordered a Yahama rx-v750:

formatting link
sets up the volumes using a mic and isn't too expensive. I'll let you know how it sounds when I hear it.

You might consider subscribing to Sound and Vision. I'm sure some of the reviews could be biased by advertising, but you can learn a lot from reading it. I find it makes great bathroom reading (not meant as an insult).

Good luck.

Reply to
larrylook

formatting link

If on a budget, still try to get your components piece by piece, on sale - maybe not the latest and greatest component - maybe something thats a little old, but a great price. I think you can put together a real 5.1 system you'll be happier with. I didn't spend a ton on my basement system - but you want to duck when the missiles are fired in the Bond movies! That's what you hope for. Action movies are great when you're sorrounded by great sound.

Reply to
larrylook

The all the rave receiver right now is the Pioneer VSX1014TX-K. It does

7.1, its THX certified and has MCACC which sets up your speakers and calibrates room size, speaker distance and size then automatically adjusts. You would be hard pressed to find a receiver with more features and better sound for the price (about $400US).

young...

TH wrote:

Reply to
Youngin...

Friends don't like friends buy bose.

BobbieBrown77 wrote:

one....

formatting link

Reply to
Eric Kinsinger

formatting link
It sets up the volumes using a mic and isn't too expensive. I'll let you

Look for a good Denon 5.1 receiver. They seem to have the best ease of use and are reasonablly priced. I deal with them for my small custom home theater jobs. I hope this helps.

Reply to
Eric Kinsinger

formatting link

What is your budget? I might be able to provide some solutions that my help?

Reply to
Eric Kinsinger

Check out this thread on

formatting link
formatting link
I am personally thrilled with my Denon 4802 and a separate Citation amp for my fronts. However, many factors to consider before you invest room size, 5.1, 6.1 etc...

Good luck

TH wrote:

specifically

Reply to
www.hometheaterdiscussion.com

I have a 4 year old Toshiba rear projection tv. The tv is not HDTV ready but it has better resolution than standard television broadcast. I have rented an HDTV converter from my cable company. Is there a signal converter that will allow me to view HDTV signals on my non-HDTV ready television?

Thanks

Marc

Reply to
Marc Rochon

You should see if your tv at least has a component input or on the Toshiba I think is is call convergence inputs. You might be able to put a cable into that can at least get a "fake" HDTV signal there.

Reply to
Eric Kinsinger

Reply to
Marc Rochon

Sorry but that was my only idea. Does your cable box have a place to select the output level like 480p or 1080i and so forth? You might want to set it to 480p and try it again hooking it up.

Reply to
Eric Kinsinger

Realistically, like 500 bucks....

Eric K> >

formatting link
>

Reply to
BobbieBrown77

Looking for recommendations on a good Progressive Scan DVD player for a Sony

42" RP LCD.

100.00-200.00 dollar range. Something that will give me a great picture.

Thanks!

Joe

Reply to
Joe Martin

$300 (in store) just add a DVD player for less than $100 and you are set. And maybe some speaker stands (depending on your situation.)

I don't like that Samsung system because it only has THREE speakers.

Not only does this Onkyo have 5 speakers, it also has a powered 100 watt subwoofer.

formatting link

Reply to
Ron

Does anyone have any installation or ideas or thoughts on any Speakercraft speakers? I have bid situation going against the Speakercraft products compared to Tannoy, Triad or Elan? I am looking to install the later of the ideas and move the client from the Speakercraft products. I just need some insist to anyone that may have used these speakers before. I know the Triad, Tannoy and Elan is fine but never heard or used Speakecraft.

Reply to
Eric Kinsinger

I have a set of Paradigm micros and I want wall mount them ,how high above ear level should I mount them they will be approximately

14 feet across from each other .? using a dennon avr 1602 to power them .
Reply to
DRVNGUY

I recently got an Onkyo home theater package (receiver is Onkyo R320). It's worked and sounded great). Tonight, for the first time it just shut off by itself. I turn it right back on with no problem and it's staying up. I did not have the volume up real loud (just at normal TV watching volume). It does not appear to be over heating, and I'm sure the speakers are not shorting. Is this a freak incident or should I have it checked while still under warranty? Thanks

Reply to
Greg R.

Always a frightening moment :(

It might be a dip/peak in the AC. Maybe your power company reports something like this on it's website. I wouldn't hope for it though.

Are you sure the remote control wasn't stuck between the pillows of the couch (or your leg)? Gert

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

On Ebay, with no reserve!

Pioneer CLD-99 Elite Laserdisc/CD Player!

formatting link

Reply to
J Rusnak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.