Re: Making my own cables?

My first guess would have been the things that you already rulled out. Are you absolutely positive that a a strand or two (sometimes hard to see) on the speaker wire are not shorting? Other than that I agree with Gert of suspect a faulty power supply.

formatting link

Reply to
www.hometheaterdiscussion.com
Loading thread data ...

Am looking for an NEC 42" MP or PD series plasma unit with broken glass screen. Any 42" MP or PD series will work, might be interested in parts for these units as well. Ideally I would hope to find a unit that has screen damage but has not been opened and tinkered with previous.

email me if you can help me out, am in the DFW Texas area atxguy at comcast dot net

Mike

Reply to
mike

alduke wrote in news:gtKpd.63070$hN1.33256 @twister.socal.rr.com:

formatting link

Will be available early 2005. Jury is still out, but the price is right.

Reply to
Andy

wrote in news:TycOb.84598$%wh.19513 @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

If you're laptop has S-Video out, it's not a problem. I forget how I did it, but see it:

formatting link
Didn't out the 5.1 from the laptop to the amp, for this purpose.

Reply to
Andy

I just recently tried to hook up my PC video card (old GeForce2 MX) to my receiver (Outlaw 1050) using the S-Video out.

Whenever I plug the S-Video cable from my PC video card to my receiver (using the "Video 1" input (entirely inactive, including the RCAs)), I get a horrible and very loud buzzing sound through my speakers.

The buzz is on all channels: AUX, Video-1, Video-2, DVD, etc. It's at a constant volume no matter how I adjust the knob unless I turn it to zero, at which point it disappears altogether.

The picture works fine--I get Windows 2000 on the TV screen. I already have my PC sound card hooked up to the receiver using a digital coax-to-digital optical converter, assigning the digital input to the AUX channel. This has worked well for a couple of years now.

My cables are short with no coils.

Why the buzz? Any help would be appreciated here.

MMM

Reply to
Magna Mater

Video:

Buy an S-video cable. Put in in the video out. Dive into the display settings menu and set the secondary display output on S-video (not composite). Maybe you can find a setting where you can make the secondary display as standard overlay display (overlay is where a DVD/Divx file will be seen at). Otherwise you'll have to find out what goes to the display (move your mosue pointer to see where the secondary display comes in focus). A setting which always works is desktop clone.

Put the S-video cable in a free input on the receiver.

Audio:

Buy a minijack-cinch cable and put it in the corresponding audio input on the receiver. You'll be able to enjoy pro-logic encoded audio signals. If you want to enjoy 5.1 audio, you'll have to pay more. Didn't find any info on the notebook, but I assume it's not Dolby Digital/DTS ready.

Cool.

Maybe you want to provide us with more info. What kind of display do you have? Etc..

gert

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

My whole apartment is on a single circuit breaker (old building). This proves to be annoying as every time the fridge kicks on or the microwave gets used all the lights dim. Do you think I this could have shut it down?

Reply to
Greg R.

It sounds like you have a "ground loop" now in your system caused by the PC system and your HiFi system being at different relative ground levels. You may need to install a 'ground isolation transformer' in the circuit.

Reply to
DaveW

S-Video will look like CRAP!

Use the RGB output and send signal straight to your HDTV...

Reply to
Spectre

hello all,

Are there Tivo like recorders that can connect to a digital satellite receiver and switch channels etc in Europe? I have only seen this in USA.

Azm

Reply to
Alaeddin

Hello all,

My satelitel reciever has a "SPDIF" connection on the back that looks like a RCA connection. Is there a special cable I can use to connect it to an optical connection on my receiver? Or is SPDIF non optical? Please advise.

Azm

Reply to
Alaeddin

Hello all,

I hooked up my PC to my plasma screen and tried to connect my audegy to the reciever through optical but can not get surround sound to work and only stereo. Any suggestions? Creative was not helpful.

Azm

Reply to
Alaeddin

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a site that woudl offer guidelines for someone who is not techncially very.. knowledgeable on how to calibrate their plasma?

Mine looks ok and i think it needs to get better.

Azm

Reply to
Alaeddin

And how do you know he has an HDTV?

Gert

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

Because if he doesn't there is really not much point hooking up to an analog POS 4:3 low res TV is there?

Reply to
Spectre

Not surprising, since your PC video card has no audio circuitry, only video. Apparently you are feeding video signal to your receiver and your are hearing the frame-rate buzz. You need a separate audio card ( or motherboard audio ) in your PC from which you feed the audio to the receiver...as you have done already.

John Lewis

Reply to
John Lewis

Divx? Xvid? These are formats meant for 720x576 or similar. S-video is ok for this content. The video card has this output for these purposes. And it works great. If you can ignore the jpeggisch rubbish some files have...

No, I wouldn't try to write an email in front of my TV :)

Gert

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

Thanks...you nailed it! I did have a ground loop problem which I managed to pinpoint to the cable antenna. I built an easy antenna cable isolator with a pair of 75 to 300 ohm transformers. Cost under eight bucks at Radio Shack to fix the problem and better yet, since I have digital cable--no signal loss!

MMM

Reply to
Magna Mater

Hi!

I'm hoping that someone can answer some questions for me...

I"m getting a new HDTV delivered and I'm looking at DVI cables. TV is an RCA D52W20 51". PC has a DVI-I output (Single/Dual? Not sure).

Is the DVI port on my TV single or dual DVI? Analog or digital? The specs online doesn't say. Will using a dual DVI cable benefit the TV signal at all, or is this just to allow for higher PC monitor resolutions?

If the signal is DVI-D I should be able to use any DVI-D cable to go from the PC to the TV. Because the signal is digital the quality of the cable is not as important as if it were analog, correct? The picture will be clear, or majorly messed up - no in-between fuzzyness, etc?

Any pointers for someone new to HDTV and home theater in general?

Reply to
Noozer

I have a question regarding main and surround speakers. Usually rear surrounds are smaller, bookshelf kinds of speakers, while front left and rights are generally larger, more powerful units. Why shouldn't front and rears be the same? Wouldn't that ensure that the quality of sound from playback be equal? A/V receivers send equal power to all channels, so shouldn't make and model of all speakers for home theater use be equal? Can someone smarten me up on this matter?

Reply to
shoe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.