Re: Making my own cables?

speaker,

Suggest you look at the latest issue of Consumer Reports, which includes reviews of HDTVs in many sizes, prices, and types (CRT, rear projection, LCD, plasma, etc.) Should be on US newsstands or call your local library and ask for it.

The review (and other TV reviews) are probably online at:

formatting link

I also suggest you shop only locally. That way, you can try before you buy, and if there are troubles later, you can carry the TV back to the store, if needed.

(snip)

Reply to
neilnewsgroups
Loading thread data ...

Could someone tell me please what does Luma Delay do and when/what setting should I use, 1T or 0T

Cheers. Chris..

Reply to
Chris Wilkins

Does anyone know if Knoll and their projectors are any good? Any info.? Mur~

Reply to
Mur

I saw this on eBay does anyone know anything about it?

formatting link

Reply to
Rob Ignatowicz

You can add a shelf above your TV. They come in somewhat different shapes and sizes and are sold for CRT monitors for PC and TV use. The following is an example; I'm sure you could search and find others:

formatting link
(snip)

Reply to
neilnewsgroups

I think this is a question only you can answer after you've listened to the speakers yourself. I'd ignore the specs and listen for yourself to decide if the speakers work for your needs and taste.

The only local dealer I have for Athena is Best Buys, and the conditions for listening to Athena (or any other brand) speakers in these stores locally (I'm in the US) are very poor, so I've never done the comparison you'll be doing.

A few thoughts:

• Rear speakers produce mostly just ambient sound, while front speakers do most of the work. You may not find that having an extra inch of woofer (as on the AS-B2) on each rear speaker makes any difference you can hear.

• With the cheaper speakers, you'd have 0 left over to put towards a subwoofer, if you decide you need a sub.

• Because both the AS-F1 and AS-F2 are big floorstanding speakers, either or both may produce enough bass for your needs, with no need for a sub. A sub can be nice to have, but if you find the Athena AS-F1 or AS-F2 produce enough bass for you, you won't need the sub.

• I'd start by listening with the cheaper speakers (the AS-F1 and the AS-B1). If the AS-F1 doesn't provide enough bass, the AS-F2 might.

• OTOH, in the context of a home theater system, 0 to get (probably) some more bass and a bigger sound may not be a lot to pay.

Anyway, I'd start my listening with the cheapest speakers and no sub, then try the more expensive speakers, then try adding the sub. Then you'd know if spending more money is really worthwhile for you.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
neilnewsgroups

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Drexus

Reply to
Almostgoth

Hello,

I'm looking for any opinions you might have on a good receiver/speaker/subwoofer setup for a ~500sq ft. "dance" room I'm trying to setup in my house. The room has vaulted 10ft+ ceilings and a hard laminate floor (yes, it does echo). I do want low profile - either in wall speakers or white/silver smaller boxes I can mount to the wall.

I am looking for used or new for around $1500 or less but it sure is difficult for an amateur to figure out any good value when going to places like Circuit City and trying to listen to the speakers there. Also, after purchasing a decent Polk/Harmon-based set from the stores last year ... I've found that you can almost always get the older models used/new on Ebay for less. I just don't know what I'm looking for.

TIA for any opinions!

Reply to
techshare

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Wish they had a catalogue on their website, rather than just a list of brands. Gonna check 'em out in a few days when the weather's a bit better. cheers, vij

Reply to
vij

That is a brilliant idea! I actually thought of trying to rig something up like that myself, but I'm kinda useless with stuff like that. Too bad my centre speaker is too heavy (it's 18 lbs.) for this model, but I found a great manufacturer, B-Tech

formatting link
who make great mounts and stands. I'm gonna go for that, methinks. But thanks for the mention of the TV shelf. cheers, vij

formatting link

Reply to
vij

You're right, of course, that I should ignore the specs and just listen for myself. I plan on doing that just as soon as this store (the only one in Toronto to carry Athena floorstanders) get them in. And I'm lucky -- this store has a room where they wire together combo packages for customers, who bring in CDs and DVDs to listen to. So I'll get a chance to listen to the speakers soon. It's good advice, by the way, to listen to the lesser combo first and work my way up, and I will do just that.

Hmmm . . . maybe I don't actually need a sub, since the F2 has a frequency range that goes all the way down to 35 Hz. There are some subwoofers that don't even get down that far! The Athena sub I've had my eye on does get all the way down to 23 Hz, though, which I think is pretty good. Sigh. Just when you think you've figured out what you want, something always pops up to give your brain more to consider!

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij

Panasonic AE700U projector, Dalite high contrast matte white screen (106" diag), Denon 1905 Reciever, LG3510A upscaling HD/DVD tuner-player and 7.1 Sony speakers.Fox is kickin in the OTA HD arena. It's like watching a NASCAR race from the stands. All under $4K MORE HD MORE HD

Reply to
cc0074559

"vij" wrote in news:Etudnd9JJ_W snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

vij,

And you can kiss your mouse problems good-bye!!!!!!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

What a coincidence. I've got the little brother (650) and the optimizer mic does a great job. I just love the pure direct function, making your stereo material sound pretty good for the money.

Let the Yammie warm up a little before you play your Pink Floyd cd's. It makes a difference.

Gert

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

Micky . . . Micky . . . we hardly knew ya!

Reply to
vij

Hi Gert,

I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick it up; I can't wait!!!

One of the things I wanted was some sort of optimizer, and I liked Yamaha's RX-V line, so yeah, this was something I had to get. It may sound dorky, but I'm looking forward to using that optimizer mic just to see what the difference will make when I move some of my speakers around. And the pure direct is a great idea -- I've heard it can bring really bring the music to life. Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy!

When you say to let it warm up, do you mean just turn it on and leave it for a few minutes, or should I have something playing in order for it to warm up?

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij

around.

Don't try to fool it: it measures in 10 cm accuracy.

Listening in stereo really requires the pure direct function. It bypasses the DSP and also the measurement results from the optimizer mic, but when listening in stereo, you can easily find the "sweet spot" yourself. Additional delay/level setting from the mic results wil destroy the intention of the material. Pure direct rocks.

leave

Yeah, put some crap on (tuner) and do your daily shopping. When you come back, it has warmed up pretty well. Just leaving it on (no sound) does not really warm it up (no electrons moving back & forth :)

Best results are after a few hours...

Good luck with your Yammie! Grrrt

Reply to
Gert Wiersema

Hi, Is there a web page, book or other source of information you can recommend to get started in putting together a home theater system? Specifically, I'm looking into a plasma screen, a Panasonic, which has several video input. I'm also looking at a A/V receiver for a 5.1 speaker system that also has video inputs. So, where do you connect the video, to the screen or the receiver? Why have video on a receiver? TIA.

Regards-Michael G.

Reply to
Michael Gerbasio

Review of the Apex Digital AVL3076 30? HDTV LCD Looking for a 30" LCD on a budget? Then read this before buying.

theclam

formatting link

Reply to
theclam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.