Access to hard disk through router

I just bought a wireless router and I was wondering if there was a way to hook my USB external hard disk up to the router and then be able to access that hard disk with my laptop ? Or would I need to by a slave computer to access the hard disk ?

Reply to
epicman
Loading thread data ...

I doubt it very much.. at least not a stock router.

Any usb ports would be for print serving.

What router is it ?

Reply to
Doz

Reply to
gene martinez

the router is a Netgear Netgear WGT624 Cable/DSL 802.11g 108Mbps Wireless Router.

Reply to
epicman

Two different ways that I use.. One of my drives is a XIMETA (BOTH a USB and an ethernet), and the other two are USB only, for those I use a Linksys NSLU2

formatting link
$99 Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives Easily Add Storage Space to Your Network Connects USB 1.1 or 2.0 disk drives and flash disks directly to your network Share music, video, or data files with managed access by user name or group Integrated file server -- access your files from the Internet Built-in disk utilities -- format, backup, and scandisk

(note that when they say drives, it only does two drives.... Luckily I only have two that are usb only :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
epicman

That's how it works, with the appropriate holes in your router's firewall, and trust in the security of the NSLU2's password protections. [I know nothing about them, BTW, just that opening public access to LAN resources is potentially very dangerous.]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Actually, while it does have 2 usb ports, you have to reformat the disks and they become linux disks that are only available thru that device (ie you can no longer plug the externals into the usb ports on other machines)...

Had one, hated it, and now have a Buffalo LinkStation 250GB Network Storage Center with built-in Print Server - HD-H250LAN (does the external usb stuff AND provides a print server function - about $20 more, but the external USB drives do not have to be reformatted, can still be used on other computers, and you can set permissions to access folders from the internet (I have most of mine blocked, and only have one folder accessible)

Reply to
Peter Pan

You can access the unit and files from the web interface through the internet.. It's great if you need some files that you know you have at home. You have to open/forward a port on your router to be able to access the unit. You can also configure the units port to any number you want/need.

"epicman" wrote:

Reply to
gene martinez

That was true on the first units but from what I hear they changed that...

Reply to
gene martinez

Although if you hook the the hard disk to the NSLU2 then into your laptop or computer then that would enable access to the disk, doesnt it ?

Peter Pan wrote:

Reply to
epicman

| Actually, while it does have 2 usb ports, you have to reformat the disks and | they become linux disks that are only available thru that device (ie you can | no longer plug the externals into the usb ports on other machines)...

If you did this, and later just wanted to use the disk (but lose the data) on Windows, it _should_ be able to repartition, reformat, and be usable. If Windows can't turn it into a Windows disk, I know a real Linux box can sure do the job. For the past 10 years I've been zeroing and partitioning disks on Linux even for use on Windows (Windows formats the filesystem in the partition, though).

Back when Windows 98 came out, I tried partitioning a disk into 4 partitions of 25% each. The intent was to use the 3rd and 4th partions as backups for the 1st and 2nd. Turns out no two partitions were even the same size. So I re-did the partitioning on Linux where I could specify the exact sectors, and made it work. So I've been partitioning on Linux ever since.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Not sure what you are asking.. I have a wap/router at home with the device on it plugged into the usb port (when I am home in northern Idaho), but am currently (In Baltimore Mryland) travelling and have it in my bag for backups for the laptop(s... I'm Anal and have 3 laptops and a pda I travel with) I am travlling with.. (I use it for both data storage of everyday stuff, and also image backups with ghost every few weeks to back up the laptops.. Only the everyday data is backed up over the internet to my Net Storage back home, the image backups are done using USB drives)...

Now specifically I can access my ximeta disk over the internet, but it is a combo ethernet, or USB (can do either but only one or the other at a time), Network Storage device (check em out at

formatting link
they are very close in pricing) and just plugs right into my wap router or the ethernet port on my computers (basically an NDIS disk, good security and flexibility)

To answer your question, I use the ximeta for network access (and internet), the NSLU2 never worked that way, and now I have the buffalo model (model posted below) that I use and travel with...

epicman wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:15:59 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

Linux file system drivers are available for Windows.

Reply to
John Navas

Say i have a website and my host has only a limited amount of space, but i would like for people to access my photo album (which takes up more space than what im paying for with my host) can I enable people to download photos through from my hard disk on my website, with a simple click on a link ?

epicman wrote:

Reply to
epicman

On 27 Jul 2006 10:08:44 -0700, "epicman" wrote in :

Why not just use a free or low-cost photo sharing web service (Sony ImageStation, Flickr, etc.)?

Reply to
John Navas

"epicman" top-posted:

Sure, you don't even need to have them click a link. Just imbed the image with a pointer to where it is on your NAS drive. For instance, in:

formatting link
you have a link to:

formatting link

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.