Fritzcard / XP /VPN Client problem

I have two computer:

1. Win XP with Fritzcard PCI shared internet connection over Fritzcard

2. Win 98 using the internet connection from the xp No problem to us the VPN client

Both connected with windows network.

I would like to use the VPN Client (Version 4.0) at the XP system The Problem: If I install the VPN Client at the XP system it is not possible to use the internet from the 98 Client. the Fritz monitor shows outgoing data from the win 98 incoming data from the internet, but the data do not appear at the 98client.

I talked a lot with AVM Germany, we tried all possible manual configurations of the network including the automatic configuration. There is no possible solution for th problem. The complete IP configuration is ok what else with two computer it is not very difficult.

And if the VPN client is installed once at the system it is not possible to get the shared ISDN connection working from the win98 PC. It is not working after a complete uninstall from the client. There is no working configuration possible. Only to deinstall all drivers from AVM and from the network cards will reset to a working configuration. It is the same problem if the VPN client is installed at the 98 computer or not.

Any idea for this problem - AVM does not have any further idea....

Regards Knut

Reply to
Knut Krueger
Loading thread data ...

Knut Krueger schrieb:

Is this only if the VPN client is connected to the concentrator or even if the VPN client is only installed and not active.

If the Internet Connection Sharing does not work with a *connected* VPN client, it is not a bug. It is the configuration the the concentrator pushed down to the VPN client. The usual configuration is the force all traffic through the concentrator. What you want is called split-tunnel with direct connection to the internet and only the the private traffic tunneled to the concentrator.

Most probably the Firewall and Remote Access policy won't allow such a setup and they have very good reasons to do so.

Reply to
Uli Link

Uli Link schrieb:

No it is from the end of the installation of the VPN client until to a clomplete new setup of the network, doesn´t matter whehter the VPN client is active or not. And I tried to install and deinstall the XP part of the network and ISDN now 6 times ....

There are only two computer in the tiny network and I disabled the firewall to findout if it works without. AVM told me that there must be a cisco problem they are not able to find the solution at AVM software.

Regards Knut

Reply to
Knut Krueger

Knut Krueger schrieb:

I don't use any AVM software for internet access.

Fritz USB2 with drivers and CAPI only, manually setup Dialup Internet connection and I can connect to the VPN gateway through the internal modem, ISDN, Ethernet or WLAN.

I guess the AVM connection's personal firewall conflicts with the Cisco VPN client.

Reply to
Uli Link

Uli Link schrieb:

There is no problem to connect the VPN client from the xp computer with the AVM software, there is no problem to connect the VPN client from the win98 client ofer the shared ISDN AVM connection running on the XP, but the only problem is the network configuration if the client is installed. There are routing problems to the 98 client after installing the VPN client, also without unsing the VPN client and also before configurating the VPN client for first time.

Manual configuration: Windows XP:

IP-Adresse: 192.168.0.1 Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: freilassen DNS-Adresse: freilassen

Windows 98:

IP-Adresse 192.168.0.10 Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.1 DNS-Adressen: 192.168.120.253 192.168.120.252

Fritzcard PCI Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.120.254 Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.120.1

It is working without installed VPN Client and is not working with installed VPN Client

regards knut

Reply to
Knut Krueger

Knut Krueger schrieb:

You have without VPN.

Dialin IP Address of the ppp connection on the ISDN -> Firewall/DNS Proxy (192.168.120.0/24) with NAT -> Internal Default Gateway

192.168.0.0/24 -> Win98 box 192.168.0.10

When you install the Cisco VPN client on the Win98 box, you can connect. The XP box appears as a NAT router and the VPN client and gateway negotiate NAT-T.

Without split-tunneling the W98 box' VPN Client receives an IP address of the IPsec network. The 192.168.0.10 is only used as route to the VPN Gateway.

This won't work on the XP box, if the VPN client picks the wrong adapter for connecting to the internet. There is no GUI for selecting the adapter. This is possible by SafeNet Softremote VPN client (or OEM branded versions like the much cheaper Netgear VPN client)

Reply to
Uli Link

Uli Link schrieb:

Ok maybe I don ot understand all the material, but her one question: I am able to connect the VPN Client, and I am able to connect to the internet on the XP station Are we talking from the same error?

It is to collect to the university network - I am afraid that i must use the cicso client.

But the next question: Waht is happening with the xp/98/fritz ISDN configuration when I am installing the VPN client. Why isn´t it working in the shown configuration without starting the VPN client?

The steps:

1. native working WinXP Win98 connecition with shared ISDN access (Fritzcard in XP)
  2. installing the VPN client -
  3. no start of the VPN client only restart of the XP computer.

1. the shared ISDN connection is broken - only working from the XP

No manual configuration possible - no automaitc configuration possible

1. deinstalling the VPN Client
  2. reboot - no shared ISDN access possible
  3. deinstalling all network and ISDN adapter and drivers
  4. installing the windows network again
  5. see pos 1.

What´s the VPN client doing with the configuration which could not be configured manually?

Regards Knut

Reply to
Knut Krueger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.