ZoneAlarm: Problem with disengaging the Internet lock

Hello,

I am testing ZoneAlarm on my Windows XP system. Everything is OK but I have a problem with the red STOP button used to shut off Internet access immediately.

It works when I engage Internet lock but does not work to disengage it. I have to reboot my computer to have access again to the Internet. Which is rather annoying.

I tried a suggested solution on ZA forum consisting in putting my DHCP server IP in trusted zone. But this does not work either.

Can you help me?

Thank you

CHeers

Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

Hi Thor,

Yes you are right. I tried ipconfig /renew in a DOS window after disengaging the lock and ZA is working again. Thank you :-)

Do you think there is a means to automatically do that without having each time to open a DOS window when I am back to my desk?

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'm not familiar with the ZoneAlarm toy, but my guess is you might be preventing your DHCP client from renewing your IP configuration lease. Try using the ipconfig utility to do that manually.

Thor

Reply to
Thor Kottelin

Yes I understand your comment. And that is certainly right. The problem with me is that I do not understand firewalls and security problems very well so that I do not know what to do to configure ZA correctly and to take the right action if ZA tell me some obscure service wants to access the Internet or act as a server. I just understand very basic things in that respect.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You could put the command in a script, and place a shortcut e.g. on your desktop for ease of double-clicking.

OTOH, do you really need to disconnect from the network every time you leave your desk? Apart from DHCP, other services such as NTP and Windows Update will also suffer, not to mention any terminal and/or chat sessions you might want to run. A properly administrated computer can be connected to the Internet 24/7, but an insecure one can be cracked in a few seconds, even if someone is sitting at the console.

Thor

Reply to
Thor Kottelin

Hello Chris,

Depending on your operating system, Windows XP Pro, did you turn off the Windows Firewall? It should be while you are running ZA.

You can reset all ZA controls back to their default setting and try after the Win Firewall is off. From there you can allow ZA to detect your router and turn on and off the Internet access as you wish. If you find that ZA is communicating with your router all the time you can turn off Router access (Internet Access), and turn it on again, after a couple of time ZA will learn that it does not have to communicate until you click a web link or go on line.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.