How to move iconified Zone Alarm freeware from task bar to system tray

In WinXP, how do we move Zone Labs ZoneAlarm freeware to iconify into the system tray on the bottom right corner instead of into the task bar at the bottom of the screen?

After reading this newsgroup, I installed the recommended freeware Windows XP software firewall from Zone Labs called ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm installed quite nicely and then politely asked me if I wanted to allow or deny various Internet attempts from within my computer. I actually enjoyed the installation process and subsequent setup.

My only issue is that the ZoneAlarm freeware software firewall iconifies BOTH into the task bar (is that what it's called?) at the bottom of my standard Windows XP display and it also leaves an icon at the bottom right in the system tray indicating it's running all the time (I guess that's what that system tray indicates).

But I don't need BOTH iconified icons. I just want ZoneAlarm freeware firewall to be in the system tray. I don't want the Zone Labs icon in the task bar of running programs. Most (if not all) other programs seem to do this.

Avast antivirus freeware, for example, just iconifies into the system tray (and even collapses multiple Avast icons in that system tray into a single icon on demand). Mozilla Firefox just iconifies on the task bar but not in the system tray (why do some programs go into the system tray while others go into the task bar?).

I just want Zone Alarm to iconify into the system tray & not the task bar.

Since the ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm software firewall is always running, I really don't need to see it in the task bar on the bottom of my screen (taking space from other iconified programs which do not run all the time).

Short of killing ZoneAlarm, how do I get rid of the icon in the bottom of the Windows XP screen (leaving the icon in the system tray)?

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.
Loading thread data ...

ZA's tray bar thingie doesn't usually appear when I install ZA, but there have been times that it has, and I'm unsure of why sometimes yes and sometimes no. However, I recall that I was able to get rid of it somehow, and I believe it involved right-clicking it and looking for an option for permanently turning it off.

Reply to
Daze N. Knights

Have you tried just clicking the X in the upper right corner of the ZoneAlarm GUI? When you do the window will close and you will see that the icon remains in the tray.

Reply to
Victek

You're not "Minimizing" it, are you? Just "Close" the control-panel part of the application. The resident part of the application will stay in the SysTray.

Reply to
K3

Hi Daze N. Knights,

Oh my. Indeed.

I didn't think of right clicking on the iconified entry in the task bar. Others will benefit from this suggestion.

When I right clicked on the ZoneAlarm red & yellow task bar "ZA" icon, I was presented with the options:

- About

- ShutDown

- Send to Tray

Thank you for that wonderful advice, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

Hi Victek,

I didn't want to hit that [X] because I thought that X in the box killed the program like it does all other programs. How blond of me!

Also, when I right clicked on the ZoneAlarm red & yellow task bar "ZA" icon, I was presented with the unexpected options:

- About

- ShutDown

- Send to Tray

So, we now have TWO approaches to iconify ZoneAlarm personal firewall into the Windows XP system tray!

Thank you for that wonderful advice, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

Hi K3,

Ooooooohhhps. I WAS minimizing it.

I didn't want to hit that [X] because I thought that X in the running program window killed the program like it does all other Windows XP programs I know of. How blond of me!

The other suggestion also worked to right click on the ZoneAlarm red & yellow task bar "ZA" icon which presents us with the unexpected options:

- About

- ShutDown

- Send to Tray

So, we now have TWO (unexpected) approaches to iconify ZoneAlarm personal firewall into the Windows XP system tray!

Am I wrong but is this not standard operation for Windows XP software? a) The [X] doesn't kill the program; it just kills the task-bar icon. b) A right click on the taskbar icon allows moving it to the SysTray

Thank you for your advice, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

Oh oh. Am I still protected?

Are you SURE that right-clicking on the ZA icon in the task bar and selecting the ZoneAlarm menu entry "Send to Tray" really works?

When I use the ZoneAlarm "Send to Tray" option, both the ZA icon in the system tray and the ZoneAlarm icon in the task bar disappear!

Likewise, both icons disappear when I press the [X] in the "Zone Labs Security" program on Windows XP.

Do you see the same behavior as I see?

BEFORE:

- "C:\\programs\\firewall\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe" is running in the "Windows Task Manager"

- A "ZoneAlarm" icon is in the WinXP task bar

- A "ZA" icon is in the WinXP system tray

DURING:

- I right-click on the "ZoneAlarm" task bar icon

- I select "Send to Tray" (or if I hit the [X] in the Zone Labs Security program GUI) ...

- In both cases, I'm presented with the same four options a) Engage Internet Lock b) Stop all Internet activity c) Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center d) Shudown ZoneAlarm

- In both cases, only option (c) above is available

- The other three options are grayed out (presumably because I'm using the freeware version only) ...

- I hit the OK button (because no option is selectable)

AFTER:

- After hitting OK, the ZoneAlarm icon in the taskbar dissappears

- Also, the ZA icon in the system tray dissappears

- Yet, the "zlclient.exe" in the task manager remains

Am I still protected? Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

Oh no. I see now. I WAS being blond!

What happened is that the ZA icon in the WinXP system tray apparently has TWO wholly different presentations! (I'm new to ZoneAlarm, obviously.)

It seems the ZA systray icon has a green-and-red histogram shape at some times and at other times it has a red-and-yellow ZA shape!

I THOUGHT the ZA icon was gone from my task bar because when I sent the ZoneAlarm task bar icon to the system tray because all I saw in my system tray was the histogram and not the equivalent ZA icon (what does that histogram tell us anyway???)!

Each time I reboot, I have to send the ZoneAlarm to the system tray. That's OK (it is freeware after all) ... but ...

Do you know if we can just set ZA to go to the system tray by default?

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon B.

Was it really _this_ group here? :-P

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yes.

Real nice trolling, "Sharon" :-))

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.