How to configure ZoneAlarm to allow my PC access the port on my PC?

Hello, Experts,

I have installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6 on my PC, which works great and block all the ports form both inside and outside. This makes some of my software doesn't work any more, e.g. my LDAP server can not be connected even from my PC. Can anyone tell me how to allow the port accessible only from my PC?

Regards, George

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...

I see a little contradiction in the two above sentences.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
George

You could configure your LDAP server to bind on localhost only. And you could configure Zone Alarm, that it does not filter any connections to localhost.

But you could drop Zone Alarm, too, und just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
George

First check is your PC in trusted zone. Firewall -> Zones -> (Loopback adapter 127.0.0.1) should be in trusted zone. Then check your firewall setting. By default trusted zone should have medium security, when you press custom button, you will see port status. On medium security by default none port is blocked. Then click on advanced button (bellow Blocked zone security) and see if Block trusted server is checked uncheck it. All dialogs have Reset to default button, you can use it. Then check program control settings. LDAP server should be granted to access trusted zone and to work as server in trusted zone, client should be granted to access trusted zone. You can configure trusted level (OS "firewall") do what you think is safe. If LDAP still don't work, check ZA logs to see what is happening, then try to fix it. It would be good idea to ask this question on ZA forum, you will get answer quicker. If nothing is helping, and you can't get LDAP to work reinstall ZA (Clean install). If it still doesn't work ask for technical support.

Reply to
alf

What do Zone Labs support say? What does Zone Alarm documentation say? You really should bind your LDAP server to localhost, if it is used by your PC only.

BTW: why a local LDAP server at all?

Yes. Please read the fine manual ;-)

I personally think, it would be a good idea to drop Zone Alarm anyways.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
George

Please see my reply to Volker in above thread. Thank you as well.

George

Reply to
George

Please don't forget, that if you're offering services to the Internet (and Windows does in default configuration), you either need to stop those services or you need a packet filter, i.e. Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.