ZoneAlarm problem

I recently signed up for the ClearWire wireless broadband service. ClearWire will not work while ZoneAlarm is active. I have shut down ZoneAlarm and activated the WinXP SP2 firewall which works fine. Questions: Can anyone suggest a way to modify ZoneAlarm so that it will work with ClearWire? Is the SP2 firewall adequate in today's internet environment? If not, what other free firewalls should I look at? I understand that Kerio and Sygate are not longer available.

Thank you, Lyall Kingman

Reply to
Lyall Kingman
Loading thread data ...

I do not know about ClearWire, but ZA is usually pretty good at asking you about stuff before blocking it[1].

About the only problem I can think of is a problem with zones, which

*may* affect ClearWire. Hard to tell without any information, though.

The SP2 firewall only checks inbound traffic. My personal preference is strongly towards replacing either the OS (with any free *nix) or employing at least a NAT router before the machine itself.

If this is not an option, the SP2 builtin firewall is said to be at least as good as a personal firewall like ZA. The configuration is slightly less user-friendly though, and it will silently block stuff instead of popping up like ZA and friends (see [1], though).

Joachim

[1] Which does not mean this is a good concept, see many posts/rants on this group about personal firewalls not working at all. Basically, mouse clicks can be faked, so relying on user input to (dis)allow stuff is not a very good model.
Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Firstly have you a Green Tick in Programs for the applications you are using? If you are not sure change them to a Blue '?' then ZA will ask you what to do. Say yes and tick "remember" setting. That may work - if not - As you try to get on line note the exact PC time. Then - In Zone Alarm open the Logs & Alerts and click on the Blocked Entry for that exact time and put it in the "Trusted" Zone. That worked for me when my router was blocked.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

|The SP2 firewall only checks inbound traffic. My personal preference is |strongly towards replacing either the OS (with any free *nix) or |employing at least a NAT router before the machine itself.

NAT is a good start and anything that assists inbound, unsolicited inputs is an assistance worth doing.

Outbound controls help confine a rouge intrusion to the machine invected. In theory, if the inbound can be sufficiently controlled, the outbound should never require control.

caveot emptor :)

Reply to
Jeff B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.