Zone Alarm Pro: TrueVector Service crashes

I'm experiencing the exact same thing on two computers. I guess they screwed up today's anti-virus update pretty bad. More info to come?

Reply to
Ono Soul
Loading thread data ...

Same thing here, two computers on a home network, running IE. What is the anti-virus update you are referring to? Zone Alarm or something else? I am running AVG with automatic updates on, but my Zone Alarm only has automatic update alerts which I have to act upon.

Which anti-virus are you running?

At first I though it might be a worm attacking Zone Alarm specifically, but my up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware detected nothing. No unexpected processes in WinTasks either.

Reply to
keshozeto

Anybody posted this problem to ZoneLabs support already? - I'm about to.

Let's try and figure out what we have in common. Same anti-virus?

Reply to
keshozeto

same problem here connecting to the internet via MS internet explorer. Running zone alarm / norton anti-virus, both licensed copies. I have at least isolated the problem to MS internet explorer. Firefox works fine to connect to the internet which is what I'm using to post this message. I'm just going to use Firefox for the next couple of days and hope it's something Zone Alarm will fix.

If any solutions out there, would appreciate hearing.

Robert de Brus wrote:

Reply to
Frank

Over on the Zone Alarm boards, people are (rightfully) losing it... apparantly the Free version is not affected?

Virtually all Pro versions will lock up computers after IE is started... if yours hasn't, don't restart your computer because then it will.

This is quite a serious matter!!!! There must be several (hundred?) thousand of people running this firewall/av set up!

Reply to
Ono Soul

Refer to this message at the ZoneAlarm Forum:

formatting link
Disabling the AlertAdvisor appears to restore IE internet access without TrueVector crashes. It worked for me.

As per the post: To disable AlertAdvisor, select the Program Control section, then move the AlertAdvisor slider all the way to Off. You will receive a dialog box warning against such action, but just hit "OK" [and what else can we do?]

Also, as per another post at that forum, the problem seems to be related to the PC date/time.

So I have IE access again, but without any warm and fuzzy feeling about it. Let's hope it's a ZA problem, and not due to malware.

Reply to
stocker

I'm having the same problem with ZA Pro. After looking at the ZA user forums, one suggestion was to install the current ZA beta.

formatting link
formatting link
I did that and problem has gone away. (Also some new features including a spyware monitor).

No problems so far with the beta.

Reply to
John .

I'm also have that exact same problem ... had been running fine up until today, TrueVector crashes when opening IE ... I also clean installed ZAP 3x, no help

Reply to
Markeau

Oh and I use ESET NOD32 antivirus ... both it and ZAP are set to autoupdate

Reply to
Markeau

I have been running a licensed copy of Zone Alarm Pro for several years, currently version 5.5.94.0.

It worked great until today. With no system changes at all, the TrueVector service is crashing. If I restart it, it crashes again. This seems to happen only when running MS Internet Explorer. Running other Internet applications seems to be fine.

I uninstalled the product and things were ok. I reinstalled it and the problems returned.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
David Levy

For what it's worth, I'm running McAfee anti-virus. All licensed & up-to-date. My computer is virus-free. I hope someone will post a solution as it becomes available.

Happy for the company, I suppose....

Reply to
David Levy

"David Levy" wrote in news:XM7qe.2094$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

I "Fixed it" buy going under program control and setting the access from the green checkmarks to question marks. I rebooted. Ran windows update and zonealarm asked me if I wanted to allow Ie to access. So far everything is working.

Also if you have done a re-install of Zone alarm you have to add Ie manually before you can try this. Worked on three computers so far.

Reply to
Carty

Carty wrote in news:jz8qe.41443$wr.19378@clgrps12:

P.S Forgot to say remove the green checkmarks from IE entry (Not all green checkmarks.

Reply to
Carty

formatting link

Thanks, this solves my problem. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days.

Reply to
David Levy

X-No-Archive: Yes

In news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, keshozeto typed || Anybody posted this problem to ZoneLabs support already? - I'm about || to. || || Let's try and figure out what we have in common. Same anti-virus?

I woke this morning to the same problem on a single machine, but I have it installed on another 9 (all legit copies), Am I to expect the same from them soon?

All 10 machines are also running AVG Antivirus. The one with the problem, though, is running the free version, the other 9 are running pro network version.

Could it be the free version of AVG doing the damage?

Reply to
Robert de Brus

In news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@rev.net typed || Refer to this message at the ZoneAlarm Forum: ||

formatting link
|| || Disabling the AlertAdvisor appears to restore IE internet access || without TrueVector crashes. It worked for me. || || As per the post: To disable AlertAdvisor, select the Program Control || section, then move the AlertAdvisor slider all the way to Off. You || will || receive a dialog box warning against such action, but just hit "OK" || [and what else can we do?] || || Also, as per another post at that forum, the problem seems to be || related to the PC date/time. || || So I have IE access again, but without any warm and fuzzy feeling || about || it. Let's hope it's a ZA problem, and not due to malware.

Yep, working again, thanks for that.

Reply to
Robert de Brus

See Zone Labs Annoucement at

formatting link
Zone Labs users began reporting True Vector-related crashes across its ZoneAlarm firewall and security suite product line late this afternoon, June

9th at approx. 5:30 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)

Zone Labs quickly replicated the issue in the company's security lab, identified the cause and resolved it within 5 hours.

The problem was related to an update to our Program Advisory service issued at 4:00 p.m. PDT. As soon as the issue was confirmed, Zone Labs rolled back the Program Advisory update and cleared its Internet-based update delivery system, which restored full functionality to users immediately.

Customers should be assured that Zone Labs is committed to providing a seamless, advanced Internet security solution and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reply to
David Levy

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed because I've just (1 week ago) renewed a 10 user lic for another 2 years. It's only affected one machine so far, but...

Reply to
Robert de Brus

I am using ZAP 5.5.094 and so far have only had very random crashes with True Vector, but it starts right back up. Using IE gives no problems. I have restarted my computer with no True Vector problems, however, ZAP no longer allows my XP computer to connect to my LAN. I have to shut it down, allow all the computers to connect and then start it back up. This just started yesterday, I first noticed it when I could not connect to a printer located on another networked printer. I believe that rebooting my XP computer started this behavior. Thought maybe I just had a corrupted user file and needed to reinstall ZAP. I'll head over to the forums to see what I can find out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Patty

Reply to
Patty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.