Zonealarm trusted zone

I have a mini-network of 2 PCs and a Netgear router, with the free version of Zonealarm running. The router is on it's default IP of 192.168.0.1, and I've hardcoded the IPs of the two PCs to 0.2 and 0.3 (i.e. each PC always uses the same IP).

On the first PC (IP 0.2) the Zonealarm "Zones" tab shows the Internet Zone to be 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 (i.e. the PC's own internal network IP, and not the external IP supplied by my ISP as I would have expected (and as it was when I just had the one PC). Likewise for the other PC.

So my question is, how should I set up the trusted zone on each machine?

Should it be (ignoring the 192.168 bit):

a) The IP range 0.1 - .0.3 on both machines

or

b) Individual IPs of 0.1 and .0.3 on the 0.2 machine, and 0.1 and 0.2 on the

0.3 machine (i.e. each PC trusts the router, and the other PC.

I'm a bit worried that if I choose a) it seems to put each machine's own IP (which it seems to think is the internet zone) in the trusted zone, if you see what I mean.

Hope this is all clear!

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

Taking a moment's reflection, Chris mused: | | On the first PC (IP 0.2) the Zonealarm "Zones" tab shows the Internet Zone | to be 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 (i.e. the PC's own internal network IP, | and not the external IP supplied by my ISP as I would have expected (and | as it was when I just had the one PC). Likewise for the other PC.

That is incorrectly setup. The entry for the Internet Zone should be listed as being a Network under Entry Type. Also, it should probably read:

192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 ... and in the Name column, have a network symbol to the left of the name that looks a bit like an inverted T.

If you have an entry described above, and it is also in the Internet Zone, then delete the second entry you mention with the x.0.2 and so on ... Then create a second entry on all PCs as an IP range ... put your entire local IP range of the PCs in this entry, and add it to the Trusted Zone.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Thanks for the reply.

The entry type for the Internet Zone is shown as "Adapter Subnet". The name is "Realtek (etc. etc) NIC", and there's no symbol next to it.

If I try and change it I get a message "You cannot edit the name, ip address or subnet of an active adapter subnet"

How do I set it up properly?

Reply to
Chris

Chris, I'm not sure what version of ZA mhicaoidh is running, but the my free version of ZA is configured the same as yours for the Internet Zone, and setup runs as it should. Nothing is wrong with it, so don't try to change that entry.

Reply to
doubter

Taking a moment's reflection, Chris mused: | | The entry type for the Internet Zone is shown as "Adapter Subnet". The | name is "Realtek (etc. etc) NIC", and there's no symbol next to it.

Are you sharing your connection via ICS?

| If I try and change it I get a message "You cannot edit the name, ip | address or subnet of an active adapter subnet"

What version of Zone Alarm are you running?

Reply to
mhicaoidh

For what version are you giving configuration settings?

Reply to
doubter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.