Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..

yes.....but what has that got to do with YOUR comment stating that because, you didnt fall for a "lie"... no one will fall for any lie ever?,and attributing that "claim" to me? me

Reply to
bassbag
Loading thread data ...

Take it any way you want.It seems many here (including yourself )are just too bone idol to use a search engine....and im afraid i wont do it for you. me

Reply to
bassbag

It's not me who put up the claim, so it's not my job to bring the proof, but yours. Plain and simple.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

I'm saying that because you can't rely on it it doesn't count as a security measure. Whether you want to use such measures despite of that is up to you.

No, it's not the same thing. AV software is supposed to detect known malware patterns and block access to files where it detects them. That it can do reliably.

And will you please learn how to quote sensibly?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

No comment here, so I take it you agree that I did never state any such thing.

You may want to explain then what you intended to express with that reply of yours, unless you just meant to make a remark that was entirely unrelated to what was discussed before.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

So because it doesn't protect you from unknown attacks "you can't rely on it it doesn't count as a security measure."

It exactly the same thing, outbound filtering can stop some threats (the software may land on your sys but if it is not allowed to communicate it can't fulfill it's goal), AV can stop some threats (the software may land on your sys but if it is quaruntined or removed it can't fulfill it's goal).

Sorry about that, I hate those >>>, but if it makes life easier for you (everyone else) I'll try to leave them in.

Reply to
kingthorin

Wrong. No measure will protect you from unknown attacks, because one needs to know the attack vector to implement the countermeasure. The attack vectors malware can use to communicate outbound are well known, but they can't be mitigated easily without breaking lots of stuff in Windows because of the way Windows works.

[...]

Thank you. It does make life a lot easier.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Anti Virus software does not protect from viruses. You may not rely on it.

Anti Virus software does filter out already known viruses. You may rely on it.

"Personal Firewalls" don't prevent malware from "phoning home", which is already running on a machine. You cannot rely on it.

"Personal Firewalls" prevent legal software from doing online software updates. You can rely on it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I dont need to proove anything as you havent disprooved anything that im aware of. me

Reply to
bassbag

An explanation of the remark is not nessacary because its self evident. me

Reply to
bassbag

bassbag schrieb:

In my environment, it is even more than enough.

Regards Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

You just proved rather clearly that you're just another troll.

*plonk*

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Why should I continue to respond to something, that you yourself, have not prooven? Plonk?....is that what you are drinking? me

Reply to
bassbag

Utter Rubbish !! The use of HIPS can prevent many unknown attacks ,throgh api calling ,behavior blocking,integrity analysis. me

Reply to
bassbag

Hence the need for outbound filtering is not a myth.

I still disagree with this statement. As I have many times previously. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Reply to
kingthorin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.